NEED HELP Ground strap on filler neck. Replacement advice please.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Ground strap is broken and deteriorating on the fuel filler neck. The strap is not available separately and was wondering if anyone had a source for this flat copper ground strap. I can fabricate and solder the terminal ends no problem.

Or I may just use some stranded copper electrical wire. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. c good

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'd just use some stranged copper wire. It is just to ensure there is a ground connection, doesn't have to be anything special.

Reactions: Capote and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the tab is broken at the filler end, I'd use a hose clamp at a bare metal spot on the filler and put the wire under it for contact.

You should inspect the filler tube if it's badly rusted and if it should be replaced.

Reactions: Capote

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
You could also use desoldering wick. It's pretty much braided copper wire anyway. You can get heat shrink for the length, then crimp and solder lugs on the ends. Or just a chunk of multistrand as you and Sparky already mentioned. It really doesn't have to be anything special as long as it provides the ground path. My replacement filler neck had regular multistrand with ring lugs, not the braided stuff.

Good Luck!

Chris

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I used outdoor wire, a ring terminal, and a case hardened coping screw to repair it...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online