Grooved Rear Rotor Mystery

Donnie_Trailblazer

Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
USA
I have a 2005 Trailblazer which I changed the rear rotors and brake pads about a year ago. I cleaned and greased the pins and they moved freely. I cleaned the pistons and the boots all looked fine and the pistons moved freely as well. But I did have some corrosion on the end of the piston on 1 caliper which actually caused raised bumps on the end face of the piston which presses on the brake pad. I filed and sanded the piston end flat and smooth so that the whole piston would contact the brake pad evenly. Now for the current problem, I have about 7,000 miles on the truck since the brake pad and rotor replacement and both rear brake squealers are squealing when the brakes get hot. I took off the rear wheels and inspected the brakes. The pads are fine (almost look new) but the rotors have worn down tremendously to the point where there is a deep groove that the pads fit in but the squealers which sit just beyond the pads are hitting the rotors causing the squealing. Anyone know why the rotors are so badly grooved yet the pads are fine with so few miles? Do I have a problem with the calipers and should I just replace them. Obviously, I know I need to buy new rotors but I do not want to have the same problem occur to the new rotors. I need to fix whatever caused the rotors to get an 1/8" plus deep groove with just 7k of driving. Thanks for the Help!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What brand brake parts did you use? Were the pads ceramic as the originals? Metallic pads wear down rotors much faster.

Was new hardware used on them? Most importantly are the stainless shims that the pads slide on. Did the pads move freely on them?

It's very unusual for brake pads or rotors to wear down prematurely on both sides due to stuck calipers on both sides at the same time. Usually just one will bind. The only constant on both sides is the brake parts used.

Donnie_Trailblazer

Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
USA
I used ProStop Platinum Original Equipment Brake Pads NAO, Semi Metallic, and Ceramic with ProStop Brake Rotors. All brand new and the pads did move freely on the stainless shims. I am also not sure if both sides wore down but the front definitely wore down. I checked the brakes over a month ago but I am now just getting the time to fix them. Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I used ProStop Platinum Original Equipment Brake Pads NAO, Semi Metallic, and Ceramic with ProStop Brake Rotors.

So which is it? NAO (non-asbestos organic), Semi-Met or Ceramic?

Never heard of ProStop. A quick search doesn't yield much. Pep Boys seem to carry them and then I saw this:

So this doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I'd class them as CCC.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.