Grinding noise when putting transfer case in neutral?

jonb26b

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
So today on my 2003 envoy. I had to have my car flat towed due to bad fuel pressure? Not sure yet, the truck would turn on for a few minutes & sputter out. SO I couldn't make it home. Well I was told that you had to put these trucks into the neutral position on the transfer case. Well when I held the switch to the neutral position past the 4lo switch, the red "N" light illuminated. However right when it switched into neutral, a nasty grinding sound was coming from beneath me. It would not stop until I switched back into either 4hi or 4lo. Then the noise went away. The transmission was in neutral while I was doing this. I tried it a few times and the grinding noise did not go away. I have noticed that my 4hi does not work, but my 4lo seems to go in gear. I can only hear the front actuator engaging when I switch into 4hi, but 4lo I can hear both the front actuator and the transfer case clunking into 4lo. So I'm not sure if my transfer case is toast. I swapped a 4x4 switch and a TCCM from my friends identical Envoy. No luck. The fluid was also changed last year.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
When you switched it into N, did you have the engine running? I had the issue with mine where if the engine was running, i could put it into N without any issues. It would make a very faint disengage grind, almost like pulling up your parking brake where it clicks when you get into each detent on the lever. When I went to take it out of N and re-engage it, it would grind so bad and not engage. I figured I trashed the transfer case but *knock on wood* I did not have any metal flakes in the tranny, xfer case or diffs so idk which component ground like it did but I would suspect the transfer case. I have since only put the truck in and out of N with the engine off. I have no grinding noise with that and it works fine. Now the only thing is when I look at the manual, it does not say whether to have the key to on only and shift it or if you need the engine running.

marinegrunt

Oct 13, 2012
Try and swap the encoder motor with your friend's and see if that makes a difference.

I have an extra transfer case I'm completely going through right now if you end up needing one and are interested. Nothing ended up being wrong with it but decided to pull it apart and go through it so I know it's in like new condition.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls