NEED HELP Grinding from front drivers side.

Hornsurgeon

Original poster
Nov 26, 2016
Appleton Wisconsin
Looking or a little help here. 2002 envoy 4wd with 222000 miles. When I turn right I hear a grinding from the drivers front. I've checked brakes/hardware/dust shield, replaced hubs on both sides, and inspected everything along the way. Brakes, rotors, slides, and drivers side cv joint were all replaced within the last 4 months. The grinding sounds like it would if the pads were shot and I was metal to metal on the rotor. That deep low grinding. It seems to be coming from drivers side front, right under my feet. Any thoughts?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Did you break it down? or did you just do a visual?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
you might be able to do some more "isolation test" by going to a parking lot (empty... no shoppers... good luck... :smile: ) and do your turning without brakes applied and then repeating with brakes applied... any difference?. You comment about "looseness in the pad" is somewhat "funny". They are "slot mounted" so not much room to wiggle up and down (none) and the piston (dual) should be holding enough "resistance" such that the rotor will spin with "force", not quite free, so very little "in/out". "looseness" suggests the mounting bolts for the caliper is loose or the mounting bolts for the hub to caliper mount is loose.

Hornsurgeon

Original poster
Nov 26, 2016
Appleton Wisconsin
I had everything apart and changed the hubs. I inspected everything when it was apart

The pads literally drop right into the slots on the bracket. I'm starting to wonder if either the rattle clips are defective or maybe the tabs on the pads are worn/the wrong dimensions.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Did you check the disconnect bearing, and the cv axle bearing at the dif on the drivers side.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This is what you're looking for.

Hornsurgeon

Original poster
Nov 26, 2016
Appleton Wisconsin
Thanks for that vid. I'll check tomorrow but I'm 95% certain that's not an issue. Besides, if that was my problem wouldn't the sound be coming from the center/right of the vehicle? Not the far left side?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Not really. sound can travel oddly. I swore for months my ball joints were bad. replaced them and it turned out it was my control arms.

That vid shows how to check the disconnect. you can check the half shaft to the dif the same way on the drivers side.

Hornsurgeon

Original poster
Nov 26, 2016
Appleton Wisconsin
Well, looks like I have a disconnect going out. Doesn't wobble as bad as that one but still wobbles. The drivers side has a little play as well. Should that be tight or is a little wobble ok?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you are capable, rebuilding it is certainly cheaper unless it's totally thrashed. Maybe even finding a good used one, take it apart, clean out the congealed grease and regrease it with new synthetic would be worthwhile. Haven't heard anything bad about any of the aftermarket replacement units. This is an excellent write-up on the disconnect on our brother site offroadtb.com:
http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/tech-docs/front-axle-4wd-disconnect/

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.