NEED HELP Grinding after Lift

Joel Phelps

Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Alabama
Well, this past weekend I installed my Lift Meister 3" lift. Last night and this morning I was cruising at slow speeds and I heard it. Have a grinding sound coming from drivers side front. Looking at it, all looks good. Its a speed based grind (meaning its not just turning or anything special, but picks up and drops off as my speed changes) I am assuming hub/bearing issues? This common that a lift will bring this out this quickly?

Getting the alignment done this weekend hopefully. Will have them take a look at it while they are in there.

That and my rear shocks are topping out regularly. Should have known. Guess I will reorder some extended ones.

Joel Phelps

Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Alabama
CV axle makes sort of a click does it not? This is a grinding sound I can only distinguish at very low speeds 5-20mph. Doesn't seem noticeable at higher speeds. Its literally a GRRRRRRR noise. Yeah I felt like a tool doing that! My worry about it NOT being a bearing is my inability to hear it at higher speeds. If I remember right, when a bearing is going bad, its usually able to be heard at any speed

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
How many miles on the bearings? The lift in of itself will not affect the hub bearings. The more negative offset wheels (due in part to spacers/adapters) and heavier tire will. You could easily have a bearing that was on the edge and the new stress just made it get grouchy.

Usually though, bearings will be howling pretty good at high speeds. A low speed only grinding could be... hm... Sure it is grinding? Or is it just tire noise? You got an alignment, right?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Before we get too far into guess your grinding issue. What size tires do you have on there? Do you have spacers?

Reactions: CaptainKD

Joel Phelps

Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Alabama
Well 1st. The sound has faded off. Makes me wonder if it was something rubbing. Anyhow.

I just hit 110,000 miles this morning. I have had the vehicle for the last 10k miles. So I am assuming they are still original bearings.

As for tire size. I am running 265/70/17 Hankook Dynapro ATMs with 1.5" 6x5.5 hubcentric adapters on 17" GM steel wheels.

Unfortunately, my alignment has been pushed off till one day this week I can break free for a while. I am hoping maybe tomorrow.

Joel Phelps

Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Alabama
Follow up. Got the alignment done. Checked bearings and CV boots. All look in pretty good shape. No showing issues. Trimmed the fenderwell and bumper some more to eliminate any of that mess. So far haven't heard the sound again. Maybe I am crazy. Ok I know I am crazy, but maybe I'm hearing things.

Reactions: xavierny25

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hopefully it was a figment of your imagination and all is good now!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher