Grills

wiggles

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'm looking to replace my trailblazer grill. but I can't decide if I want all chrome or completely blacked out.

anyone try one of these?
New Grille Assembly Chrome Chevy Chevrolet Trailblazer 2005 2004 2003 2002 Car | eBay

or this one?
GRILLE Mouding Assy Chevy Trailblazer 06-09 Black/Gray | eBay

and here is my trail blazer. Pictures would be appreciated.

Trailblazer Mods - a set on Flickr

6131524683_fd983a2585.jpg

6133331193_913880c8f4.jpg

6136514470_c9afde12d6.jpg

it's an Lt with the badges shaved.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I haven't seen anyone with the all chrome replacement grille, but I have seen a couple with the black one. Although the black one you found is better, as the other ones didn't have the recessed area for the bowtie.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I am not a fan of anything blacked out unless the whole truck is black.... just looks unfinished to me. I actually prefer the color matched with just a touch of tastefully place chrome.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Ghoster said:
I am not a fan of anything blacked out unless the whole truck is black.... just looks unfinished to me. I actually prefer the color matched with just a touch of tastefully place chrome.

:iagree: Color match is the way to go IMO

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Yes, color match is the route to go. I personally like the black one, but I have blacked out all of my truck and am not a fan of chrome at all.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
I'm with Regulator... too much chrome just screams for a sticker ... "Built by J C Whitney"

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Actually I lied, I HAVE seen the chrome grille... :ugh: I took this pic back in the summer.

Attachments

• IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 10

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I am not a big chrome fan either. A touch of black or color matched is the way to go.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
TexazReece said:
Wewe that looks horrible too much Chrome IMO

I don't think that is too much chrome!

wiggles

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Did a quick dirty 5 min photo shop of a black grill on a trailblazer like mine. This is not my trailblazer. The trailblazer was found via a google image search. It's too dark here to go out and take a picture of mine.

6457201411_38dd698d54_z.jpg
:undecided:

wiggles

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Looking at it... it might look better with some blacked out rims too.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Personally I'm not a fan of a blacked out grille. Color matched or stay chrome, IMO.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
This truck belongs to member Shazaam on the OS.

IMG_20110812_102343.jpg

IMG_20110812_103427.jpg

IMG_20110813_160701.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like the chrome

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
buff.jpg

front.jpg

not very good pictures, but it may give u an idea, i also have blacked out tails to darken the back up, and very dark tint soon.
i just spray painted mine, doesnt take long, cost about 5$ if i can do it, then u can do it!

wiggles

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
YOUNG said:
buff.jpg

front.jpg

not very good pictures, but it may give u an idea, i also have blacked out tails to darken the back up, and very dark tint soon.
i just spray painted mine, doesnt take long, cost about 5$ if i can do it, then u can do it!

Did you scuff it first or just prime and paint? It looks to be flat black correct?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I say chrome or color match!! Unless your truck is black there is no reason to black it out. It sticks out too much if you ask me!

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Color match the cross bar and black out the rest of it.

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
wiggles said:
Did you scuff it first or just prime and paint? It looks to be flat black correct?

i simply cleaned and then painted it, i didnt scuff or prime or anything, i was aiming for the flat black look, as the color of mine is not very shiny anyways :lipsrsealed:

and if i take paint remover i can take it all off, and have it stock again in 10 minutes

Joe D 04 said:
Blacked out grill looks like a missing grill in the distance, just my opinion.

i agree, and that is why i like mine black, i like the look of the grills on trailblazers that dont have the bar going across, that are blacked out, so it appears like nothing is there.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
I too could not decide on black or chrome...I have the stock all chrome grille on my envoy and all that chrome is a bit much for my taste, however, I don't like completely blacked out rides either...so I ended up ordering a Street Scenes "Black Chrome" grille...hoping to get the best of both worlds...of course it is on backorder nationally so the company I ordered from claims it will have Street Scenes manufacture a new one for me within the next two weeks...once I finally get it on I'll post some pics.

armymp90099

Dec 7, 2011
I say def paint the grille black to refresh the color and paint the crossbar to match. I did it and its amazing. The fresh black paint on the grille makes it all look even better too.

I used rustoleum black gloss enamel with an enamel clear coat in hopes of increased durability.

SEKOLAx216

Dec 8, 2011
Parma, Ohio
I would just match the color like others have said. black doesn't like right on that. and chrome is played out.

TrailBlazn420

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
...the other ones didn't have the recessed area for the bowtie.

Are you saying you have seen a grill with a smooth crossbar? So you could eliminate the bow tie entirely? I would love to have a smooth crossbar that has no bow tie on it. That is the only remaining bow tie on my TB, with the exception of the wheels. I would love to be bow tie free (in emblem only, that is).

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
TrailBlazn420 said:
Are you saying you have seen a grill with a smooth crossbar? So you could eliminate the bow tie entirely? I would love to have a smooth crossbar that has no bow tie on it. That is the only remaining bow tie on my TB, with the exception of the wheels. I would love to be bow tie free (in emblem only, that is).

No, on the factory cross bar, the bow tie is recessed in the bar, on the aftermarket it isnt, the bow tie all most sits on top of the bar, instead of in it, if that makes sence

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Well the ones I found don't have the recessed bowtie area, but there are still mounting holes (so the bowtie would be sticking out, and sitting on the face of the grille) I suppose you could leave em that way, or fill them in and shave it down. :undecided:

$31 on Rock Auto, Part number GM1200470

getimage.php

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Actually I lied, I HAVE seen the chrome grille... :ugh: I took this pic back in the summer.

That grill looks hard! all black with that chrome on the front and the rims, anything more is too much but that is good taste.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Bub said:
That grill looks hard! all black with that chrome on the front and the rims, anything more is too much but that is good taste.

You can say that safely, because I didn't show you the REST of the truck. :hopeless: That SS had chrome decals everywhere you could put them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online