GREEN fluid ?

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Ran an errand in the Sierra today; it's been parked outside in the drive the last couple of days between errands.

Parked it on the street, as I wanted to look and see what it was still leaving behind (leaking), after having killed off the oil leak recently (and when I checked it before driving it today, it was 'full'. yay me) :smile:

*Now* I see green fluid accumulating. Kinda looks like (but doesn't smell like) antifreeze - and the truck has DexCool in it, besides (I know, because I used a coolant tester on it, and it's definitely orange).

This is definitely green - saw it in a 1/4" hole that it happened to drip into (oh, g*d...I just thought...could this be eating the asphalt? LOL Hope not, because I put my finger in it...didn't burn, so I guess I'm ok?)

Ain't front diff / xfr case / rear diff - I changed those out, and none are green.
Ain't trans fluid - that's red.
Ain't brake fluid - that's clear (I flushed it out when I replaced brakes).

Am I missing something? It's not just a couple of drops, either.

I'll pull the truck in the garage and survey the damage in a day or so, as I don't want a bunch of snowmelt on the garage floor (we did get about 9" Sunday, according to NWS - I think it was more.)

But in the meantime - WTF OMG SMH :Banghead:

I *just* put an ad in CL for this truck, too - and someone actually responded (seeing a list of $2500 in new parts installed helped, I guess). So I'll need to address this in fairly short order, if it's anything to worry about.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Power steering? My rack drip comes out greenish.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion. I keep forgetting that just because I don't have R&P doesn't mean I don't have power steering (and IIRC, isn't there a P/S cooler on the HDs ?)

Not that I could see it needing an actual cooler.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion. I keep forgetting that just because I don't have R&P doesn't mean I don't have power steering (and IIRC, isn't there a P/S cooler on the HDs ?)

Not that I could see it needing an actual cooler.
Pretty much all my GM vehicles have power steering coolers. Been a while since I've seen one without.

Reactions: Reprise

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Power steering fluid, although normally yellowish looking, can have a green tinge to it.

That or you ran over a Vulcan :biggrin:

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
So I went back out and looked at this from topside...

It looked like there was some 'spitting' of something on the steering gear and LH exhaust manifold (so, behind the P/S pump). No obvious hose leakage, etc.

Trying to open the reservoir, I noticed it was a bit difficult to turn, and when I finally got it off, there was a definite suction - the lid gave way with an audible pop, and I could feel the suction.

Checking the dipstick, the fluid was pretty much at the bottom - way below the 'fill' marks, hot or cold. Wasn't that way a couple of weeks ago when I checked it.

So...given that, and the info you both have given me, I've likely suffered a catastrophic loss of fluid - it certainly wasn't leaking while I had it in the garage, lying underneath it to replace the engine oil cooler gasket.

I thought I smelled something burning a day or two ago, too - I'll bet that was the P/S fluid.

I'll get it back in the garage soon to confirm - and start researching what P/S lines & pump / reservoir are going to cost to replace, as well as the effort. Sheesh. It never ends, with this truck.
Shoulda bought the Silverado! LOL

I was going to say a bleeding Predator under there somewhere. Lol

THAT's what it looked like - Predator blood! :dielaugh::thankyou:

Thankfully, I didn't hear an audible laugh or see a countdown timer!

(On edit - thanks to the mods for combining these - that's what I wanted to do, but once you post, you can't insert 'quotes' into it later. So I 'replied' and made a new post.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Blckshdw

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
So I went back out and looked at this from topside...

It looked like there was some 'spitting' of something on the steering gear and LH exhaust manifold (so, behind the P/S pump). No obvious hose leakage, etc.

Trying to open the reservoir, I noticed it was a bit difficult to turn, and when I finally got it off, there was a definite suction - the lid gave way with an audible pop, and I could feel the suction.

Checking the dipstick, the fluid was pretty much at the bottom - way below the 'fill' marks, hot or cold. Wasn't that way a couple of weeks ago when I checked it.

So...given that, and the info you both have given me, I've likely suffered a catastrophic loss of fluid - it certainly wasn't leaking while I had it in the garage, lying underneath it to replace the engine oil cooler gasket.

I thought I smelled something burning a day or two ago, too - I'll bet that was the P/S fluid.

I'll get it back in the garage soon to confirm - and start researching what P/S lines & pump / reservoir are going to cost to replace, as well as the effort. Sheesh. It never ends, with this truck.
Shoulda bought the Silverado! LOL

THAT's what it looked like - Predator blood! :dielaugh::thankyou:

Thankfully, I didn't hear an audible laugh or see a countdown timer!

(On edit - thanks to the mods for combining these - that's what I wanted to do, but once you post, you can't insert 'quotes' into it later. So I 'replied' and made a new post.)
You have hydra boost don't you?

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yep - found that out while I was researching. I have hydroboost.

While that system apparently likes to fail, I don't think the valve itself is faulty - it's my understanding that when it does, you lose power assist in both steering *and* brakes (?) Not the case with me (yet).

To be safe, I'm keeping it on the driveway until I can get it back in the garage & thoroughly check it out. Thinking I'll order the hoses (especially the high pressure one) as I think that's where the leak is, based on visual evidence I mentioned earlier.)

Tips on the system welcome, of course. :wink:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
When my booster failed it just leaked fluid. But really bad.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.