Greasing the front disconnect?

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Today I engaged the Auto4wd in my Envoy at about 5mph. It thunked hard and the "service 4wd" light came on. I checked though, and the auto 4wd WAS working. :confused:

Hooked up my scan tool and of course, no workie, no codes present even in the advanced dtc screen. It doesnt read that deep. Anyway, about 5 years ago I had my passenger front diff. bearing and seal go so I had the front axle disconnect all apart, cleaned it up real good and regreased it. I think we used synthetic wheel bearing grease. Im betting the disconnect is what caused the loud thunk and service 4wd light, I bet the grease is all dried out in there by now.
Should I be taking the pass. side halfshaft out, taking off the pass. side cover and cleaning/re-greasing it at some kind of interval?

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
If you cycle the ignition and/or switch does the light go off? I would say if it hasn't broken(and you verified it), now would be as good a time as any, to open it up, inspect it, and regrease it. If any parts are excessively worn, you have the opportunity to replace them before they break and leave you stranded, or break other parts in the process.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
smitty5150 said:
If you cycle the ignition and/or switch does the light go off? I would say if it hasn't broken(and you verified it), now would be as good a time as any, to open it up, inspect it, and regrease it. If any parts are excessively worn, you have the opportunity to replace them before they break and leave you stranded, or break other parts in the process.

Thanks for replying! Yeah, once I turned the truck off and restarted it, the light went off. I tried to make it do it again but it just worked normally. Oh well. I will def. make it a chore for this weekend!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online