grease outer tie rod?

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I'm replacing the outer tie rods on my 06 TB. Ordered the Delco/OEM rods from Rock Auto. they have grease boots which feel empty to me, but there's no grease fitting to pump grease in them. ok to install this way or is there an invisible zerk I'm missing?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They should be pre-greased. Might not be completely full though. Are you able to pull the boots off to have a look?

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I could,just haven't yet...wasn't sure I should. Will check

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
It's a regular maintenance item for me. At every oil change, I use a grease needle to fill the boots.
They are greased at the factory, but possibly with just a minimal amount of grease to save them a few pennies.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
There should be a little vent hole in the side of the boots. I take a needle fitting adapter, and put it in the end of my grease gun, and put more grease in. They are prefilled, but in my opinion, they might as well as be dry for the little amount they put in.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
^I did not know that. Will check later thanks. I miss my old blazer with its 11 some odd grease fittings. I hit those in every oil change in the front end was still going strong at a 180k miles or so when I sold it.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
^I did not know that. Will check later thanks. I miss my old blazer with its 11 some odd grease fittings. I hit those in every oil change in the front end was still going strong at a 180k miles or so when I sold it.

You can still find replacement parts that have grease fittings. I have ball joints and swaybar links with them.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My Moog parts all have zerks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online