Gotta be sure its right

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Hey everyone. Finally got around to installing new lower control arm brackets in my trailblazer today. Everything was a royal PITA! Really stuck in there. Anyway after installation I found a little piece of paper in the box basically said to tighten the control arm bushing bolts at ride height with the truck on the ground otherwise premature bushing failure will happen. How does that work? I had it up on jack stands and just tightened everything in the air. Seems to ride a little funny but not that noticeable. Should I attempt to loosen those bolts, give the truck a few bumper bounces and retighten? Not much room in there. Gotta be safe and the other ones were trashed!

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
When my wife gets home I'll crawl under and see if I can reach them without jacking anything up. Does anyone know the torque spec for these? I would assume not too tight cause they have to pivot a little.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep. They don't pivot, it's the bushings that flex. That's why they have to be tightened at normal ride height with weight on. Right now they're in a constant flex, which will wear them out prematurely.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Ok, so I crawled underneath there today, loosened all 4 nuts took them out with about 1/4 inch space between the arm and nut. I bounced the truck up and down about 10-15 times to make sure then I torqued them down to 81 ft lbs. Hopefully the bushings are settled now, I couldn't tell if it moved or not though seems to ride better. I also retightened the bracket bolts to pft. Not a lot room for a torque wrench under there without it jacked up but I'll see how it goes. Thanks so much for the feedback everyone.

Reactions: Mooseman

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Hey. Well, took the truck out yesterday for a 45 minute ride or so and noticed a slight vibration and the steering wheel is now off center! Like I said the arm brackets seem good. If not they are pretty darn close. I am also putting new outer rod ends on tomorrow. My question, for the tie rod ends do they have to be the same exact length on both sides or whatever the measure out at? I'm trying the tape measure method. Second, if I do have to slightly adjust the arm brackets, can I just loosen the bolts and tap it around or do I have to take everything apart again? Can't afford the alignment shop right now. Have a 2 hour drive tomorrow.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For the outers, I just loosen the lock nut, unscrew the old rod and screw the new one up to the lock nut and tighten.

If you're talking about the lower A-arm brackets, yeah, just loosen and adjust.

Reactions: Reprise

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If you have a 2 hour drive ahead of you, assuming this is not to an alignment shop per your statement, I would not touch the tie rod ends.

It doesn't take much to knock the toe out of whack, save the tie rod ends for the day of, or a short drive to get the alignment.

I tried that just recently, had the measurements dead on, tires even looked perfectly straight. I took it down the road at 11 PM and each slight turn of the road sent the tires howling like I was taking an off ramp at the limit of adhesion.

Whatever you did with the control arm bolts, did not alter the relationship between the two front tires and their toe angle, leave that alone for now, trust me.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Let the tie rods go for now. Doing my trans pan gasket and filter tomorrow instead. Definitely needs attention. Will replace the tie rod ends, strut/spring assembly's and the drivers side upper ball joint which I just found out was wrecked! Will take it to the alignment shop after all that is done. Just hope those CA bracket bushings are ok. Old ones were destroyed.20200828_164241.jpg20200828_164229_HDR.jpg

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I replaced them already. Probably why it drives a little weird.View attachment 96899

Yeah, you may as well change the tie rod ends then get it aligned. Disturbing the LCA will alter the caster and camber.

Just a fyi, if you haven't done so, the bolt torque on those brackets are

177 foot pounds for the two smaller bolts in the rear.

195 foot pounds for the larger bolt in the front.

Use a torque wrench and when the shop does the alignment, make sure they use one also, and not the impact to tighten.

The welded nuts have been known to break loose, so care needs to be taken.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.