Got myself a PC 7424XP, anybody here used one with Chemical Guys Blacklight?

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I got a great deal on this set, Porter Cable 7424 & Foam Pad Kit - Car Buffer Porter Cable 7424XP & Pad Kit FREE BONUS . It was a 6hr sale on Amazon, plus I got my wifes Employee discount, It was just a little over $160.

I have been using Chemical Guys Blacklight on my 02' Bravada (it looks great with the metal flake and the shape of the body) I have just been applying it by hand. Now I wont have to... I know I have read when it is machine applied it can be used as an AIO, does anybody here know how much cut it has? After winter is over I know we will have light swirls on the paint and didnt know if I should just buy something else to take care of those and not worry about using the BL to get rid of them.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Thank you for reminding me how much i need to restock my detail cart before spring.....goodbye money.

Cant comment on chemical guys, But you want to start mild probably a light cut basically will be labeled as a swirl remover and work your way up from there. I think your orange pad and a swirl remover will do the trick. If your new I would dig up some Autopia.com threads via Google. some of the best reside on that site and is where I learned everything.

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
LOL I belive I have done some lurking on Autopia over the last couple of years. Dont think I ever signed up over there. My friend was thinking about picking up some Megs 105 & 205, maybe I can see if I can steal some from him, I have read great things about the combo. I know I will be cleaning up the blue 05 EXT my Father just picked up a week ago, Mom has on 02 LTZ that needs gone through. I keep my paint in pretty good condition on the Bravada so I know I wont need much correction. Ill go find out what I can. I am not too worried about cleaning much up with the Blacklight, just figured maybe I could cut my process down a little bit. Then again since I will be using the PC I guess I dont have to worry about working myself as hard either.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I have the pc 7424 xp.....bought it off flea bay for $150 brand new. Very nice buffer. Haven't really used it...although the white foam pad on it sucks. Used it for about 10 seconds and threw it away. Haha. Haven't bought a backer plate or any REAL pads yet.

jailfood

Dec 7, 2011
I have it. I love it. And I just put a freekin dent in the hood today..... no worries. I will fix it, paint it, and buff it to real nice shine.

105 205 is a great combo. Chemical guys has some great stuff.

I have a bad arm so by hand just aint gonna happen. I did my TB, then my father in law saw it and now I do his truck.

Just start easy, try the lightest cut to fix anything and then move up to stronger if needed. Once you get the hang of it. Dang it makes even me look like I know what I'm doing.:eek:

can't wait for the warmer weather.

ChriSS K

Jan 3, 2012
jailfood said:
I have it. I love it. And I just put a freekin dent in the hood today..... no worries. I will fix it, paint it, and buff it to real nice shine.

105 205 is a great combo. Chemical guys has some great stuff.

I have a bad arm so by hand just aint gonna happen. I did my TB, then my father in law saw it and now I do his truck.

Just start easy, try the lightest cut to fix anything and then move up to stronger if needed. Once you get the hang of it. Dang it makes even me look like I know what I'm doing.:eek:

can't wait for the warmer weather.

I started out with the PCXP first and ended up moving on to the flex. The PC will fit all the needs of the weekend warrior detailer. I've found that the orange lake country flat pad with some menzerna power finish will remove most swirls while leaving a really nice finish. This is not an agressive combo and is most effective. Just my .02

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
jrSS said:
I have the pc 7424 xp.....bought it off flea bay for $150 brand new. Very nice buffer. Haven't really used it...although the white foam pad on it sucks. Used it for about 10 seconds and threw it away. Haha. Haven't bought a backer plate or any REAL pads yet.
When I opened the package up I did not even think of the fact the PC would come with its own pad. I highly doubt I will ever use it since mine came with the CG Hex Logic pads. Is the stock white pad supposed to be used with a bonnet?

ChriSS K said:
I started out with the PCXP first and ended up moving on to the flex. The PC will fit all the needs of the weekend warrior detailer. I've found that the orange lake country flat pad with some menzerna power finish will remove most swirls while leaving a really nice finish. This is not an agressive combo and is most effective. Just my .02

I have been considering getting a bottle of Menzerna PF, I dont believe I have seen photos of a car done with it that haven't looked stunning.

I dont mind trying new products, me and my buddy are detailing chemical whores.... We make sure we dont buy the same stuff so we can try everything we buy. Its crazy to think 10 years ago I was using Megs Gold Class paste wax every time I washed my SHO and thought GC was the top of the wax food chain. :tongue: (had no clue about the professional stuff at the time) only knew what existed in the local parts stores, And what oddball stuff BigLots had. I am sure I still have the first bottle of (IDR the brand I know it wasnt turttle) of wax I bought for my first car.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
A bonnet would be for applying a LSP not something like an AIO, especially if you have any hopes for removing swirls. Maybe u knew that but I was just making sure. I think applying wax with a machine takes a little more skill so I still do that by hand.

Hey Megs ain't bad dude. That black wax is awesome (that's Meguiars, right?) lol

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
xtitan1 said:
A bonnet would be for applying a LSP not something like an AIO, especially if you have any hopes for removing swirls. Maybe u knew that but I was just making sure. I think applying wax with a machine takes a little more skill so I still do that by hand.

Hey Megs ain't bad dude. That black wax is awesome (that's Meguiars, right?) lol

I wont be using any bonnets, just the multiple grades of foam pads that came with the entire kit. I may still apply wax by hand (at least my nicer waxes), nothing like feeling how smooth it goes on. :cool:
Meguiars does have a wax specifically for black paint now, the first black specific wax I ever used was the Turtle Wax Black Box, it came out a little after the Wife and I got married, she still had her first 3000GT (black) and wanted something to use just on her car. I wish we still had that car, I would love to get to try a full correction on a black car.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Now that you have a machine,ditch the wax and go with sealants.... Wax For Shows, Seal For DD:twocents:

Juicy K

Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
STLtrailbSS said:
Now that you have a machine,ditch the wax and go with sealants.... Wax For Shows, Seal For DD:twocents:

I bought a sealant about a year ago, Chemical Guys JetSeal109, but since I was not happy with the paint correction by hand, I didnt want to apply it. I hope once I get the hang of machine polishing I will have a finish I would be willing to put $40 sealant on. LMAO During spring, summer and fall I tend to detail both of the cars at the very least once or twice a week. (I hate having dirty cars) So they got coatings of wax regularly.

I think I am going to practice on my fathers hard top for his Miata (its getting repainted to match the car anyway) its classic red just like my Miata so maybe I can get a feel for how it will work with it before he paints it. :thumbsup:

What sealant do you use?

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Or do both.... Blackfire wet diamond paint sealant and the. Collinite marque de elegance wax on top

duqezave.jpg

ChriSS K

Jan 3, 2012
What sealant do you use?[/QUOTE]

Menzerna Power Lock is tuff to beat. Extremely durable:thumbsup:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Meg's #21

But I think I'm diving into the Wolfgang FUZION world this spring.

ChriSS K

Jan 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
Meg's #21

But I think I'm diving into the Wolfgang FUZION world this spring.

I can confirm that Fuzion is a show stopper, but I like it more as wax for show rather than a sealer. It will make your paint "glow", but I don't think will protect as long as a synthetic sealant?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.