Got a Note 2

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Yes I actually got rid of my iPhone for a Note 2, never thought I ever would but got bored with the phone and wanted something different. I do have to say the iPhone is better then this is its own ways but other then that the note 2 is really cool and HUGE! But fits my hand well since i have big hands lol the 5.5" is really nice and sooo much easier seeing things on here then a 4" screen :yes:

I do like the fact that I am able to get apps for free on here that I paid for on my iPhone, but they come with ads is the down fault

So what are some cool apps or stuff I can do with a android? I also will be getting a 64gb sd card today most likely.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
love mine. my friend showed me something on her iphone 4 last night and i had to squint it was so tiny

at first it seems large but now i'm so used to it other phones look tiny to me. the best thing is the battery life, i've only ran out of battery before going to bed once since i've had it.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
jimmyjam said:
love mine. my friend showed me something on her iphone 4 last night and i had to squint it was so tiny

at first it seems large but now i'm so used to it other phones look tiny to me. the best thing is the battery life, i've only ran out of battery before going to bed once since i've had it.

Oh yeah I am getting used to the size quick! those 5" phones now seem small lol before they seemed huge. Only thing I am getting used to having it on one hand, but I saw some features that lets you text with hand by shifting the keyboard to the right or left which is sweet! But I have to say I hate the keyboard on the android, so hard to text on them for some reason. I use swype and is really accurate too. Do you use the samsung keyboard or a 3rd party one?

Oh the battery is awesome!! Used it from 5am-12am yesterday and used it pretty heavy and it didnt die until 12am which is awesome. any battery that can last me that long is a plus for me!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
:rotfl:

welcome to the Android world... one of my main deciding factors for getting my S3 was the expandable memory... iPhone's dont have it, and i wasnt going to pay extra for a "bigger" iPhone... Plus tha Google Play Store compared to the Apple market... i mean just about anything you want from the Play store is there and free.. i have anything from games, to mp3 downloaders, to police scanners lol... i wouldnt say one is better then the other... to me they all do the same thing... i do read reviews and ratings on the free apps though... but i usually just use an app for a few weeks, delete it, then move on to the next... i also use the AVG mobile free antivirus app once a month, then delete it... does it work or help things? who knows, but its a piece of mind for me lol..

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
I do like the fact that I am able to get apps for free on here that I paid for on my iPhone, but they come with ads is the down fault

Root it an use an ad blocker. Problem solved :biggrin:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I generally text using voice input. Otherwise I swype on the stock keyboard. Although I think the original swype was better. I use Meridian for playing MP3's and V Player for watching video. Stitcher for podcasts. I have a vulcano box at home and use their app for watching tv on my phone.

Also I can't recommend enough getting a cheap bluetooth odb2 plug and get the toque app.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Android ftw!! Samsung galaxy s3 here. The notes are cool...just a little to big.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would not mind getting one of those. Should be fun for ya.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
:rotfl:

welcome to the Android world... one of my main deciding factors for getting my S3 was the expandable memory... iPhone's dont have it, and i wasnt going to pay extra for a "bigger" iPhone... Plus tha Google Play Store compared to the Apple market... i mean just about anything you want from the Play store is there and free.. i have anything from games, to mp3 downloaders, to police scanners lol... i wouldnt say one is better then the other... to me they all do the same thing... i do read reviews and ratings on the free apps though... but i usually just use an app for a few weeks, delete it, then move on to the next... i also use the AVG mobile free antivirus app once a month, then delete it... does it work or help things? who knows, but its a piece of mind for me lol..

Apple app store was great I liked it! The google play store is amazing also they went a long way since I had a android a couple years back. They got many more apps and there good! I do love that they put more apps for free and its nice! If the app cost anything its the same price as the apple app store. Yes the expandable mem is awesome! I got my 64gb mem card and now got a ton of room for fun lol

jimmyjam said:
I generally text using voice input. Otherwise I swype on the stock keyboard. Although I think the original swype was better. I use Meridian for playing MP3's and V Player for watching video. Stitcher for podcasts. I have a vulcano box at home and use their app for watching tv on my phone.

Also I can't recommend enough getting a cheap bluetooth odb2 plug and get the toque app.

See the swype on the stock keyboard vs the swype on the swype keyboard is quite different. I use the swype keyboard and it gets my word 95% of the time which is perfect. Does Meridian connect to iTunes for the music? Also that torque app, hows it work exactly and what does it really do? I seen many people talk about it on here and love it

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
See the swype on the stock keyboard vs the swype on the swype keyboard is quite different. I use the swype keyboard and it gets my word 95% of the time which is perfect. Does Meridian connect to iTunes for the music? Also that torque app, hows it work exactly and what does it really do? I seen many people talk about it on here and love it
i agree the swype keyboard is ridiculously good. sometimes i couldn't believe it actually got the word i was thinking because i was swyping so sloppily
i've never used itunes in my life, i only use meridian for actual mp3s

torque is the shit, reads check engine light codes, realtime ECM data, records data, 0-60 timer, etc. a bluetooth adapter is under $20 shipped, and the app is free or the paid version is $5. i don't necessarily use any of the extra features of the paid app but bought it just to support them. you can download it and play around with it
IMAG0029.jpg

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Just ordered some things to do be able wireless charge the note2 since vzw crippled it for some reason. I'll update tomorrow on how it goes.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
This guy shows some nice apps to have incase anyone does not have them. it helped me out

[video=youtube;9cdwvOE4UF8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cdwvOE4UF8[/video]

jimmyjam said:
i agree the swype keyboard is ridiculously good. sometimes i couldn't believe it actually got the word i was thinking because i was swyping so sloppily
i've never used itunes in my life, i only use meridian for actual mp3s

Same lol I would go all over the place and it picks up it and im like sweet lol, I have been looking at videos on that s pen and its pretty sweet and can do a lot of stuff.

I have been using iTunes since I was a little kid so I am used to it and really like it.

jimmyjam said:
torque is the shit, reads check engine light codes, realtime ECM data, records data, 0-60 timer, etc. a bluetooth adapter is under $20 shipped, and the app is free or the paid version is $5. i don't necessarily use any of the extra features of the paid app but bought it just to support them. you can download it and play around with it
IMAG0029.jpg

Oh wow thats pretty bad ass!! So all I need is bluetooth in the car and it will work with it? Pick up all that data?

Canary2323 said:
Just ordered some things to do be able wireless charge the note2 since vzw crippled it for some reason. I'll update tomorrow on how it goes.

Ahh I hear the new s4 will have the capabilities for it but you have to buy the stuff that it needs to be able to do it.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Canary2323 said:

Keep us updated. Was looking at those threads over on xda

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Hell has frozen over, :biggrin:. Jk man, glad to hear Android is treating you better this tine around, it will take some time getting used to it. My uncle switched from apple about 2 months ago, and he said similar things, the iPhone has some features the Android doesn't, but he enjoys the Android more. I also recently bought the Note 2 for my fiancee, she loves it.

As for the keyboard, I think the Note 2 stock one works fine. It works a lot better than my Bionic one does, and I do not like swype. Voice also rarely gives me issues.

Everything else was already explained. I will say if you go the root route, From Toolbox Pro is an awesome app. Gives you a lot of features for about $5, also has built in ad block, app backup, rom management, CPU profile setup/CPU tweeker and a whole slew of other cool features. Torque is the best $5 you cold spend on an ap.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Hell has frozen over, :biggrin:. Jk man, glad to hear Android is treating you better this tine around, it will take some time getting used to it. My uncle switched from apple about 2 months ago, and he said similar things, the iPhone has some features the Android doesn't, but he enjoys the Android more. I also recently bought the Note 2 for my fiancee, she loves it.

As for the keyboard, I think the Note 2 stock one works fine. It works a lot better than my Bionic one does, and I do not like swype. Voice also rarely gives me issues.

Everything else was already explained. I will say if you go the root route, From Toolbox Pro is an awesome app. Gives you a lot of features for about $5, also has built in ad block, app backup, rom management, CPU profile setup/CPU tweeker and a whole slew of other cool features. Torque is the best $5 you cold spend on an ap.

What I noticed that makes it harder for me to text on the keyboard is no autocorrect. my iPhone would pick up all the words I put and set the closest word which saves me from going back to fix it...well most of the time cant say i haven't had a damn you autocorrect moment lol But I use the swype keyboard on there and it works like a charm...very accurate and gets my word right a good amount of the time.

Root I wouldn't do that for quite sometime until I truly learn the phone more. I am learning some sweet stuff I can do with the s pen. What I have been trying to do is see if there is a app that lets me take more advantage of my bigger screen and let me put more icons on it without changing the luncher. The 4x4 layout they have is way too spaced out for that big of a screen

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I think it learns overtime. I know my Bionic was that way, it knew nothing when I started using it. Now it knows entire sentences. The Note has done the same thing. Also a reason I like using custom rims, gives you a ton of flexibility. As for the apps, I think a launcher may be your only real option other than a rom. There may be another option but I have not had the chance to really play with the note yet.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Canary2323 said:
Should try SwiftKey keyboard best one out and has great auto correct.

I remember seeing that app for it I might go give it a shot. Also did you get the wireless charging to work?

blazinlow89 said:
I think it learns overtime. I know my Bionic was that way, it knew nothing when I started using it. Now it knows entire sentences. The Note has done the same thing. Also a reason I like using custom rims, gives you a ton of flexibility. As for the apps, I think a launcher may be your only real option other than a rom. There may be another option but I have not had the chance to really play with the note yet.

it does get smart but thing is that it gives you options as you type rather then do it for you. I had a feeling I would need to change my launcher for that. I might end up doing so. gotta look for a good one.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Nova launcher Is a really solid, customizable launcher, have used on my last three phones. I have every set up for wireless charging but waiting for my order of copper tape to come in, thought I could get it locally but in was wrong haha. Should be here tomorrow

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I used ADW launcher, gave me all the options I needed and had a ton of themes. Do not use go launcher, it is ad ridden and a memory hog.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
does any of those launchers cause the phone to lag or slow down at all?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
does any of those launchers cause the phone to lag or slow down at all?

Go launcher does, ADW never did, and I have not tried Nova. Seeing as you have a powerful phone it should be none issue.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Go launcher does, ADW never did, and I have not tried Nova. Seeing as you have a powerful phone it should be none issue.

I got the Nova one, seemed more popular for the note 2 from reading online for it. its pretty cool so far. Took a min for the phone to pick up theres a new launcher but now its pretty smooth and I get more icons on my home screen :biggrin: well its an extra row but still better then before lol

Now I just have to redo my folders and apps

edit: this is really nice! so much to edit and do with it. liking it so far

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Yeah nova is very solid, might want to check out mycolorscreen , it's amazing what a some people can do with a home screen. I mostly use it for ideas and widgets, icons ect..

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Still liking your phone, scanning through some stuff and seen this thread. The 4.3 release should be out soon, they just did the S4 and the S3 should have been done already. The Note 2 was scheduled for the end of the month. One thing I hate about android phones is that the manufacturers forget old flagship phones and stop updating them after a while. Samsung seems better about it, but I know Motorola was terrible about it.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Still liking your phone, scanning through some stuff and seen this thread. The 4.3 release should be out soon, they just did the S4 and the S3 should have been done already. The Note 2 was scheduled for the end of the month. One thing I hate about android phones is that the manufacturers forget old flagship phones and stop updating them after a while. Samsung seems better about it, but I know Motorola was terrible about it.

I actually ended up getting the s4 and leaving the note 2 mainly because it was really annoying me how big and heavy the phone was. This s4 is perfect for me. Yeah I did get the 4.3 update and I love it! Only thing I do not really like about it is the wifi. It drops the wifi on me if its too weak vs before it would stay connected. Maybe its just me i don't know. But with 4.3 the samsung keyboard is so much better. They added autocorrect (finally) and its very smooth vs those 3rd party ones so I am using that now! Texting is a much better experience with that.

One thing I liked about apple is when a new iOS comes out all there phones (up to 3 years old) get it on a date they give you. Android doesn't seem to do that. I never hear anything about it, it's kind of random in a way you know.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Apple does have the market covered on the update front. It's easier to port it for all of their devices. Google releases the updates on time, problem it's up to the manufacturer to decide if they want to update certain devices. Then they have to make the firmware work for each carrier. Can't fault google, one reason I hated Motorola.

I use one of the jellybean keyboards. The 4.3 one is a night and day difference, the auto correct has been driving me nuts though. I am happy with the S4, fiance is still rocking the note 2 and she loves it.

ItsOnVoy

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Apple does have the market covered on the update front. It's easier to port it for all of their devices. Google releases the updates on time, problem it's up to the manufacturer to decide if they want to update certain devices. Then they have to make the firmware work for each carrier. Can't fault google, one reason I hated Motorola.

I use one of the jellybean keyboards. The 4.3 one is a night and day difference, the auto correct has been driving me nuts though. I am happy with the S4, fiance is still rocking the note 2 and she loves it.

You can turn off the auto correct if you want. I personally cannot text without it because my text will look like a different language lol it does get smarter over time, you have to tell it the word you want and it will save it in the dictionary. The note 3 is really fast, I played with it for a couple mins at the Verizon store and it ran quick.

Not faulting google because there on the dot with the nexus phones, its the companies that use android that annoy me. I wish nexus was on Verizon, I would have got the new 5 instead of the s4.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online