Goodyear Fortera.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I had Forteras (OEM) on my Envoy Denali and I now have them (OEM) on my JGC. As I will soon be replacing these 20" tires I would appreciate some input on what you would replace these with.
I find the Forteras okay but, a little noisy, they do seem to last long but, that could be a bad thing in terms of performance. Just need decent MS tires that don't go whop,whop,whop.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
My recommendation is the same one I always make. Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

Have them on my voy, pushing 70ish k miles on them, and they still have 6/32 left. I will be replacing them before winter. I love these tires so much, I actually pre-bought a set in preparation for it. Be prepared for a bit of sticker shock. They are proud of these things!

There is also a set called Michelin Defender T+H. Although a very good tire, the compound is so hard, that it has a lot... and I mean A LOT, of road noise. But they are good tires. Have these on my 94 Corsica. Great tires, and highly recommended on many tire forums. I would not buy these again because of the noise.

I have yet to have a Goodyear tire last anywhere near their quoted treadlife, or have traction that was worth a damn.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Thanks! I was leaning towards the Continental Crosscontact LX25 tires because of great reviews, although the last time I had Continentals, they wore like they were made of licorice.
You bring up a lot of things that I like about a tire with the Michelins so they might be just what I go with.
I have yet to meet a person that likes Goodyears ...:no:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
In my years of driving, owning vehicles and buying multiple sets of tires on multiple sports sedans and SUVs, I have never liked a single set of Goodyears, and I have never disliked Michelins. I second the vote for Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I would never have anything else on our Trailblazers.

Reactions: northcreek

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
My recommendation is the same one I always make. Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

Have them on my voy, pushing 70ish k miles on them, and they still have 6/32 left. I will be replacing them before winter. I love these tires so much, I actually pre-bought a set in preparation for it. Be prepared for a bit of sticker shock. They are proud of these things!

There is also a set called Michelin Defender T+H. Although a very good tire, the compound is so hard, that it has a lot... and I mean A LOT, of road noise. But they are good tires. Have these on my 94 Corsica. Great tires, and highly recommended on many tire forums. I would not buy these again because of the noise.

I have yet to have a Goodyear tire last anywhere near their quoted treadlife, or have traction that was worth a damn.

When I had my Avalanche, it came with Wrangler AT/S from the previous owner. I was lucky to get traction when it drizzled out, though I'll never forget how much easier it made drifting the truck around corners in the school parking lot after a rain fall. Snow traction was worse, I might as well have been driving with slicks.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I had the LX-20, not sure how the LX-25 compares but it's a decent tire, doesn't have all of the bump compliance the Defender does. That does translate into that last few percentage points in terms of comfort.

I'm currently on a set of Defender LTX at 74K just above the wear bars, and if I didn't have an alignment issue there's no doubt I could have reached 80K with easy driving.

I will be replacing these with another pair of Defender LTX.

That being said, in terms of highway comfort, the reigning champ IMO is the Latitude Tour, NOT THE HP, but the standard Latitude Tour. The Defender I feel is still the better overall tire, the Latitude Tour doesn't extract the water as well as the Defender and the Latitude gave me a few white-knuckle moments in moderate rain at 65 MPH.

In terms of road noise, I would give the Latitude a 9.5 and the Defender LTX a 9.3. Both are extremely quiet, but the Latitude is a glider in the air for a rough analogy. If you have driven on a pair you know what I mean. You cannot trust the reviews as I see the same reviews on the HP version so it's a crap shoot, the HP is a different animal and stiffer.

The Defender lasts longer, more confident in the rain, and is extremely smooth and quiet

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Keep it coming guys this is good info and I do appreciate your input. I totally agree that tire reviews are a shit show.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I have Goodyears stock on my colorado and I am counting down the days until I can replace them lol.

Tires I've liked: Hankook dynapro HT. Had them on the TB up until last year. Got 85k out of them and still were above the wear bar. Wet traction was average. Snow was pretty good. Dry was very nice. They had a nice positive feedback while driving. By this I mean where you move the wheel it went. No questions lol. They are all we run on the company trucks too. Everyone else's 10 ply has to be at 80 psi to not be crushed. Those you could run at 50 on them and they look as good as everyone else's. The LT one only gets around 40k a set though.

BFG advantage T/A sport LTs. They're on the escalade. While a softer sidewall than the Hankooks they replaced. (Came on the new takeoff wheels.) They are pretty damned good for a street tire and have the severe snow rating. Something not common on all seasons.

Continental crosscontact lx20 eco plus: eh. Good enough. These came stock on the 18 Tahoe. They're decent in snow and rain but aren't the best in heavy rain, they tended to hydroplane on me on the parkway where they repaved and pushed a bit. By that I mean the front end would actually slide around some in the rain.

Michelin premier LTX: again, nothing to write home about. A bit noisy if you ask me but does everything pretty well. Now this is an oem style and not the same as what you'd buy to put on, my experience is that they're a little better that way but that's me.

The only goodyear anyone I've ever talked to that they liked was the eagle GT... and that's going way back lol.

Cooper discover AT3: what is on the TB now. They're nice. Pretty quiet for an AT but what I don't like is they flat spot after sitting for a couple hours... if goes right away but I don't understand it. These drive like an older school truck tire. They don't track 100% as in theyre a little mushy on the highway. But that makes the ride softer so...

Can't go wrong with BFG or Michelin imo.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
BFG advantage T/A sport LTs. They're on the escalade. While a softer sidewall than the Hankooks they replaced. (Came on the new takeoff wheels.) They are pretty damned good for a street tire and have the severe snow rating. Something not common on all seasons.
Do you find them noisy? many of the reviews complain about road noise. Not big on tire reviews but, still have to wonder.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Do you find them noisy? many of the reviews complain about road noise. Not big on tire reviews but, still have to wonder.
Not exactly a fair comparison as the escalade has extra sound deadening compared to our trucks but... the chain drive for the awd transfer case howls more than the tires do and that is hardly noticeable in my opinion. The exhaust is the loudest and even that isn't loud. They seem as quiet as any other all season to me. The wrangler duratracs or Cooper discoverers are substantially louder especially outside the vehicle.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Not exactly a fair comparison as the escalade has extra sound deadening compared to our trucks

I agree the Escalade has more sound deadening material, but not by much. Even our aging platform, they are pretty darn quiet in stock form. Of course, given the fact the door seals are good, tires are not aggressive, and the exhaust isn't modified too much...lol.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I agree the Escalade has more sound deadening material, but not by much. Even our aging platform, they are pretty darn quiet in stock form. Of course, given the fact the door seals are good, tires are not aggressive, and the exhaust isn't modified too much...lol.
I couldn't believe it honestly. That truck has dynamat in it from the factory. Not everywhere but in a good amount of places.

I agree though. I've been using the TB as the work truck is down (why I kept it) and it is as quiet as my colorado until you get up to highway speeds. The engine is quieter though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online