Goodyear Duratracs

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Well at the beginning of winter i purchased and installed a full set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. 245/75/R16. I also had an alignment done and got my 4x4 fixed.

After alignment I noticed my steering wheel wasn't straight, (truck drove fine other then this) So I took it back and had them align the steering wheel. But realized they lifted the truck up in order to do this, wouldn't it have been smarter to just straighten the steering wheel instead? because since they did this, it feels as if the power steering randomly pulls a bit every now and then, almost like slipping on ice (hwy is dry and driving straight) Would the tires be causing this or did they screw something up on the realign?

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
The toe angle is adjusted by turning the tie rods, and that will affect the straightness of the steering wheel. They should have been turned evenly side to side.
The alignment could have been correct with the steering wheel crooked.
As far as the 'slipping on ice' feel I don't know. I've seen this happen when radial and bias tires are mixed, but you said you have 4 new Wranglers.
I have the same tires about 3 years old and they have been superb, wear well and have good traction, no noise.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Also just curious how many kms/miles do you get per tank running these tires? I'm getting 300 kms/tank at -10 C temps

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bartonmd had some issues w duratracs

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
You should run them at the psi listed on a sticker in the glove box or on the driver door jam (can't remember which location it's at). Pretty sure it's 30 up front and 35 in rear but you should check to confirm.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mounce said:
You should run them at the psi listed on a sticker in the glove box or on the driver door jam (can't remember which location it's at). Pretty sure it's 30 up front and 35 in rear but you should check to confirm.
False. Duratracs are not built like stock tires. The sticker may be a starting point but run a chalk test to find the proper psi.

Reactions: Bartonmd

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Kyle is right... if they are load range E, the conversion chart from the mfg will say like 42psi for that tire. Thatswhat it worked out as for the 245/70-17 LT/E Duratracs that I had on my TB.

Mirror, to your issue, the combo of a really floppy 2-ply sidewall, and really tall, really siped tread in a really soft compound make these things positively scary to drive for the first 1500-2000 miles! It really was scary towing with them when new on my 2500HD, but the TB was way worse! even with a couple thousand miles on them (before Goodyear replaced them with another set of BFG AT for me, for a balance/roundness issue and also read posts http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5507&start=40#p109104 and http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5507&start=60#p109285), the ABS/Stabilitrac would kick on when even moderately braking while turning. I can say that they are nice and stable on my K2500HD now, after 10,000 miles and being 1/3 worn down... yes, I'll probably only get 30k miles out of these on my truck...

BUT!!! O. M. G.... They are AWESOME like real snow tires in the snow, and better than snow tires in deep, unplowed snow!! (most snow tires are made for packed snow and ice, whereas unpacked snow is more like mud, so tires with deep, open tread will work better than relatively smooth, really siped tires.)

Mike

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think Q is speed rating...

Reactions: Bartonmd

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online