Goodyear acquires Cooper tires

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you hate Goodyear but love Cooper, this one's not for you.

Personally I'm not a fan of Goodyear except maybe for their trailer tires (anything is better than China bombs) but I do have a set of Cooper Discoverers that I love. Hopefully they will keep most of Cooper's offerings.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Surprisingly enough Dextero has a US factory now and I have a pair of DHT2 tires that are OK.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My concern is that Cooper was competitively priced, at least here anyway, as I could get a set of 20" Discoverers for the Avy for under $1k and they are rated 4 seasons with the winter certification so no need to swap out to winter tires. With one less company on the open market, my hope is that Cooper will be allowed to run independently from mama Goodyear. Too many times small companies are swallowed up by bigger ones and fade away.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
From what I've seen when looking at a tire's origin (Tire Rack). The tires are made in many places according to size, so a Michelin Defender in your size is made in Portugal and in my size is made in Viet Nam.....Kinda "like a box of chocolates"....

Reactions: Mooseman

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
From the reports we're hearing here in Goodyear's home town, the merger will allow them to offer more tyre types that Goodyear had by themselves. To me, at least, it seems they're going to keep Cooper a going concern.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is the hope anyway.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher