Good tire size with 3.42 Gears

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, I am deciding I am going to be lifting, and I tow ALOT with a heavy boat and Sleds in the winter. I think That towing with all this weight I should just stick with Stock Treadwright tires... Thoughts? Thank you!
Trent

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
03envoy said:
Hello, I am deciding I am going to be lifting, and I tow ALOT with a heavy boat and Sleds in the winter. I think That towing with all this weight I should just stick with Stock Treadwright tires... Thoughts? Thank you!
Trent

Personally I wouldn't go over a 31" tire without regearing but out here I have a lot of mountains I am dealing with when I tow. Some guys swear you can go to a 32".

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Yes, Thats what I was thinking. Thank you for the feedback! I just hope it doesnt look goofy if I go with a 3in lift ( body or suspension) with 30" or 31" tires.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
hmmm. I dont think its worth the risk of puushing the truck to its limits... You Know?:no:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
03envoy said:
Yes, Thats what I was thinking. Thank you for the feedback! I just hope it doesnt look goofy if I go with a 3in lift ( body or suspension) with 30" or 31" tires.

Take a look at my album and this thread http://gmtnation.com/f28/new-16-wheels-787/ I am lifted on on just under 31s. I have done a lot of hauling, like I said I have to climb mountains where I haul. Flatlanders on 32s and not hauling much don't need the torque as much.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
For 16s, Id probably stick to 265/70R16 as a max size. They're 30.4-30.6" and fill out the wheelwells nicely. Not too big, not too small. Ive got a set on my 02, but it hasnt towed anything in 2+ years since I got the SS.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Thanks to all! Still deciding I think 31" I am going to go with, going to check out djthumpers profile...

bore_pig

Nov 25, 2011
I routinely tow a 17.5' fish and ski fiberglass boat or a 14' travel trailer. My TB does pretty good if I use a little common sense and use 3rd gear in the hills. Since I have 3.73 gears with 285/75-16 my effective gear ratio would be a bit lower than yours with 3.42 gears and a 265/70-16. I would not recommend larger than a 265/70-16. I used 245/70-16 as the stock size in my calculation. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Here's my math:

Original Tire Diameter / New Tire Diameter X original Final Drive Ratio = New Final Drive Ratio

Final Drive Ratio is either 3.73 or 3.42.
Mine with 3.73 gears and 285/75-16: 29.5 / 32.8 x 3.73 = 3.35 ---Effective final drive.
Yours with 3.42 gears: 29.5 / 30.6 x 3.42 = 3.30 ---Effective final drive.

Happy towing!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
03envoy said:
Thanks to all! Still deciding I think 31" I am going to go with, going to check out djthumpers profile...

Here is my truck's build thread. OffRoad TB - View topic - DJThumper's Build - 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer

bore_pig said:
I routinely tow a 17.5' fish and ski fiberglass boat or a 14' travel trailer. My TB does pretty good if I use a little common sense and use 3rd gear in the hills. Since I have 3.73 gears with 285/75-16 my effective gear ratio would be a bit lower than yours with 3.42 gears and a 265/70-16. I would not recommend larger than a 265/70-16. I used 245/70-16 as the stock size in my calculation. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Here's my math:

Original Tire Diameter / New Tire Diameter X original Final Drive Ratio = New Final Drive Ratio

Final Drive Ratio is either 3.73 or 3.42.
Mine with 3.73 gears and 285/75-16: 29.5 / 32.8 x 3.73 = 3.35 ---Effective final drive.
Yours with 3.42 gears: 29.5 / 30.6 x 3.42 = 3.30 ---Effective final drive.

Happy towing!

Exactly! Here is a chart that is on a gear ratio guide Lift Kits, Tires & Wheels by 4 Wheel Parts

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I have 285/70-17's (33") with 3.73's. At 65MPH my truck will not stay locked in overdrive. I certainly wouldn't recommend going over a 31" tire.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
I run 265/70-16's (30.6") and tow a 20' trailer up the mountain to Estes Park. That's a pretty serious incline, and I'm running over 5000 pounds on the trailer. It's not something I would do on a regular basis though, as I spend most of the trip wandering between 1st and 2nd gear.

On the other hand, driving through the hills in the area, I have no problems towing in 4th gear with these tires. I honestly wish I have 3.73 gears though, as they would be better suited for my occasional towing, and the fact that 90% of my driving is in-town -- but since I have a 4x4, that doubles the cost of doing a conversion.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
What ever you do, just keep in mind that a lift will change the center of gravity which for towing will change the behavior of the trailer. You'll be more prone to sway issues. Take it easy the first time out with it and the boat after the lift and get to know the behavior a bit. Don't want to see you ruin a boating weekend by dumping the rig.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
DocBrown said:
What ever you do, just keep in mind that a lift will change the center of gravity which for towing will change the behavior of the trailer. You'll be more prone to sway issues. Take it easy the first time out with it and the boat after the lift and get to know the behavior a bit. Don't want to see you ruin a boating weekend by dumping the rig.

That is why you get a drop hitch to keep the trailer level. It will still effect your vehicle but the biggest problem with people towing with a lifted vehicle is the load not being on the trailer properly to compensate for a higher front end.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Thanks Alot Guys!:yes: I have decided That I am going to stick With nothing over a 31" Tire. I am going to be keeping my Stock 17" Chomies, After much towing, This vechical has disapointed me Greatly!:hissyfit: After 1200lbs, and 300 miles, My Envoy Just didnt handle good. My engine has very little pickup when trailering and or hitting 70. I dont Know if its normal. Thanks Again!:hissyfit:

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
If you're going to be doing a lot of long-distance towing, you may want to invest in a transmission cooler and a PCM tune. PCMforLess sells both. The PCM tune will net you a few extra HP and better management of the engine under towing conditions.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
If you're going to be doing a lot of long-distance towing, you may want to invest in a transmission cooler and a PCM tune. PCMforLess sells both. The PCM tune will net you a few extra HP and better management of the engine under towing conditions.

I thought that the Envoy came with a transmission cooler with the tow package?? And Yes, That seems like a good Idea to me!:yes:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
All trailvoys have transmission coolers, built into the radiator. But really, it doesn't do a whole lot. If you tow a lot it is a good idea to get an auxiliary trans cooler.

I hardly ever tow, but I still might get a cooler anyway just because.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Yes, Does anybody know if it's difficult to install? I mean I would like to get one....

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
I also don't tow very often, but when I do, my load is pushing the max limits, so I'm contemplating getting one of the extra coolers for myself as well. No clue on installation though.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
I also don't tow very often, but when I do, my load is pushing the max limits, so I'm contemplating getting one of the extra coolers for myself as well. No clue on installation though.

Extremely simple. Cut one of the current lines to the cooler, splice in the new cooler and find a decent place to mount the new on. It keeps the factory and gives you the extra cool from the new one.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Extremely simple. Cut one of the current lines to the cooler, splice in the new cooler and find a decent place to mount the new on. It keeps the factory and gives you the extra cool from the new one.

Thanks, Its a pending Mod. On the thousands that are on the list!:crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.