Good price for door checks?

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hey guys, getting tired of the creaking in my doors and want to replace at least the back two door checks. Does anyone know where you can get these for a decent price? I will check around on Amazon and eBay but perhaps there are some good quality aftermarket ones? Just want to cover all bases and check with all you nice folk. Thanks!

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Hey guys, getting tired of the creaking in my doors and want to replace at least the back two door checks. Does anyone know where you can get these for a decent price? I will check around on Amazon and eBay but perhaps there are some good quality aftermarket ones? Just want to cover all bases and check with all you nice folk. Thanks!
Ebay is your best bet, that's where I got a used one. Once it's in good condition and you keep it lubed, it will last a long time.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I lubed the rollers behind the rubber last July. My back driver door is the worst and I just noticed on Friday it started getting noisy again. It started as a small noise and within 1-2 days was super loud again. I'm gonna lube all mine today. Do you think the rollers are wearing out or is it just a lack of lube? I'm interested to know what you find out if you remove and inspect them.

DARKASS04EXT

Nov 21, 2011
my driver side front door makes the popping sound also. after looking into mine, it looks like the pivot nearest the body of the truck has oblonged and that is whats making my noise. I dont think lubing mine would of helped any once the hole has oblonged.

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
DARKASS04EXT said:
my driver side front door makes the popping sound also. after looking into mine, it looks like the pivot nearest the body of the truck has oblonged and that is whats making my noise. I dont think lubing mine would of helped any once the hole has oblonged.

I've got the exact same issue, and I'm sure that's how they all are.

Attachment point to the body oblongs out over time and pops. You can see it.

I need both driver's side ones as well. Let us know if you find a suitable replacement at a reasonable cost.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Sorry if this is a hijack, but what do you guys prefer to use for door lube? Silicon grease spray, etc

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
NewfieEnvoy said:
Sorry if this is a hijack, but what do you guys prefer to use for door lube? Silicon grease spray, etc

I just use a can of white lithium grease just because I have it. I generally hate the white because it gets all over the place or at least the dealer use to spray that stuff all over the place except behind the rubber where it needs to go. Seems to work okay.

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
I heard that.

We had a metal door at work that squealed for YEARS. Tried everything to get it to stop. WD40, graphite, PB blaster, Vaseline, penetrating oil, used motor oil, that son of a bitch would NEVER stop squealing.

Went to SEMA 2010 and was given a small spray bottle of it. Tried it on that door when we got back and I shit you not, less than a fingernail's worth of that shit stopped it DEAD from squealing and hasn't made ONE PEEP since. It also stopped the wheels on my garage door from squealing, the door on my shed, and a ton of other crap. And that was the sample can. I have since bought a full case of the full size cans.

I'll never buy anything else again.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Been debating on using this as an undercoat to prolong the life of my vehicles under side.

AMLGuard MIL-DTL-85054

As for the original question, CaptainXL sorry for going OT. I would just lubricate them the best you can if they are not worn, using either the fluid film, or another option is the CPC type 2, Mil-prf-81309. It sticks to the areas better than something like wd40, and it does not have a nasty residue like lithium spray grease.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Do you think the rollers are wearing out or is it just a lack of lube? I'm interested to know what you find out if you remove and inspect them.

I took out the drivers side rear one 3 months ago. I think what happens is the rollers get siezed. My bearings have developed flat spots. Once that happens its no good anymore and needs to be replaced. Tried using all different kinds of lube but the problem is the flat spots.The spring friction will not allow me to rotate the sleeve bearings. What you hear is metal on metal friction.

Been doing some searching and found new checks but they look nothing like the ones I have installed from the factory. The replacement ones look to be non-serviceable. Looks like you cant get at the rollers.

Also there seems to be different part numbers depending on vin line sequence number. At this point I am not confident enough to order one online so I am going to go to the dealer and speak with the parts guy to be sure I get the right part. Shipping for these things is outrageous anyway. I have only seen used or full priced ones on ebay.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online