Good eats...

willn513

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
918
I don't recall seeing anything on here like this so I figured I would start. Feel free to post pics, recipes, ideas, whatever. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack- if you can eat it let's see it.


I'll start- tuna burgers I did on the grill. Also I am NOT in any way affiliated with GrillGrates but if you guys use gas grill you need to pick a set up. Pricey- but very very very worth it. In this pic I have flipped them over and I'm using them as a flat-top grilling surface.
y3apebu2.jpg


They are anodized aluminum panels that heat evenly and can get up to much higher temps than gas alone. I used to struggle to stay around 500*F and now can get up near 700-800 no problem. Best sear on steaks I've ever gotten.
www.grillgrate.com
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
I got volenteered to grill for the wife's family the other day, even though I had been drinking all day. Amazingly everyone loved the simple meal.

 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Steak recipe-- Do over charcoal for the best results.

Simple...slather basic mustard over the whole thing and let marinate for a few hours. Then a sprinkle on some Montreal Steak seasoning.

Amazingly the mustard flavor is gone, but the steaks stay juicy and flavorful. People that hate mustard can not even tell.

 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
The Disc-It



My buddy bought this, but it lives at my house. Basically the ultimate outdoor, LP powered, Wok. It is a hig quality, but not cheap device that is a ton of fun and will bring lots of attention tailgating or anywhere. We have cooked a ton of stuff on it. Steak, pork, seafood, veggies, fried rice.

One of the initial attempts..

Precooked a bunch of fresh veggies,



tossed in some tiny shrimp..just cause....


then we put them in a big bowl and covered to stay warm and finish steaming through.

And then the meat...Steak and Chicken w a lil onion


Then tossed it all back in together to blend the flavor

 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
Grimor said:
And a hog roast isn't complete without jello-shots
View attachment 15713
If you put em in syringes you get real jello shots, no mess, no waste, and you can reuse em.

That's an awesome idea!
 

Grimor

Member
Mar 28, 2013
954
DDonnie said:
That's an awesome idea!

Becton Dickinson 10 mL BD Luer-Lok
30 mL Luer-Lok Syringe, Syringes - Allegro Medical Supplies

These are the ones I use, buy a couple boxes, they can actually last a few years in the syringes.

I also make mud shots. it's oreo jello pudding, powder it in a food processor (I use a ninja) and use Java tequila rose instead of milk. They work best in the small syringes and when cold. These will not last as long as the Jello shots (3-4 months)
 

willn513

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
918
HARDTRAILZ said:
The Disc-It



My buddy bought this, but it lives at my house. Basically the ultimate outdoor, LP powered, Wok. It is a hig quality, but not cheap device that is a ton of fun and will bring lots of attention tailgating or anywhere. We have cooked a ton of stuff on it. Steak, pork, seafood, veggies, fried rice.

One of the initial attempts..

Precooked a bunch of fresh veggies,



tossed in some tiny shrimp..just cause....


then we put them in a big bowl and covered to stay warm and finish steaming through.

And then the meat...Steak and Chicken w a lil onion


Then tossed it all back in together to blend the flavor


That disc it thing is sweet. I may have to look into that...
 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
Grimor said:
Becton Dickinson 10 mL BD Luer-Lok
30 mL Luer-Lok Syringe, Syringes - Allegro Medical Supplies

These are the ones I use, buy a couple boxes, they can actually last a few years in the syringes.

I also make mud shots. it's oreo jello pudding, powder it in a food processor (I use a ninja) and use Java tequila rose instead of milk. They work best in the small syringes and when cold. These will not last as long as the Jello shots (3-4 months)

if you want a true shot, you'd have to go with the 30 ml
 

Grimor

Member
Mar 28, 2013
954
DDonnie said:
if you want a true shot, you'd have to go with the 30 ml

the 30ml is definitely a mouthful. I know it's ~1oz shot, but it seems like more for jello lol
 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
Grimor said:
the 30ml is definitely a mouthful. I know it's ~1oz shot, but it seems like more for jello lol

That's cuz liquid shots you can poor down your throat, lol.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
My buddy said to stop yesterday afternoon and he had a fried feast going on. Our local wing place closed, so we stepped up and filled the void ourselves.

10 lbs of wings. Breaded Mushrooms. Cheese Sticks. French Fries.

Did some Sweet Chili, BBQ, Garlic, Franks Red Hot, Ghost Pepper, and multiple combos of these sauces on the wings.

No finished pics as everyone started digging in as they were pulled from fryer, but..

the goods


The wings in process


and a I thought this looked kinda cool


Next time I will get pics of the final products, but it was good. We spent a couple hours just frying this and that and trying different combo's.
 

RayVoy

Member
Nov 20, 2011
939
I'm a big fan of steaks on the grill, but beer can chicken is a nice change. Probably the best way to eat chicken. I like to use a beer with line juice additive.
 

Conner299

Member
Jan 16, 2013
279
Figured I'd thaw out a backstrap, from the deer I took, last fall. What better way to celebrate the 4th?!? I'll let you know how it tastes tomorrow.














 

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
HARDTRAILZ said:
My buddy said to stop yesterday afternoon and he had a fried feast going on. Our local wing place closed, so we stepped up and filled the void ourselves.

10 lbs of wings. Breaded Mushrooms. Cheese Sticks. French Fries.

Did some Sweet Chili, BBQ, Garlic, Franks Red Hot, Ghost Pepper, and multiple combos of these sauces on the wings.

No finished pics as everyone started digging in as they were pulled from fryer, but..

the goods

Next time I will get pics of the final products, but it was good. We spent a couple hours just frying this and that and trying different combo's.

Ain't nothing like a few propane fryers on the go, we use them quite often. I gotta try the wing thing sometime, I'm guessing you dust em before frying?
 

Attachments

  • 20130629_202141.jpg
    20130629_202141.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 7

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
Denali n DOO said:
Ain't nothing like a few propane fryers on the go, we use them quite often. I gotta try the wing thing sometime, I'm guessing you dust em before frying?

Best time to get them is shortly after thanksgiving. I use one for my brew pot. Works great!
 

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
RayVoy said:
I'm a big fan of steaks on the grill, but beer can chicken is a nice change. Probably the best way to eat chicken. I like to use a beer with line juice additive.

Yep, I agree beer can chicken is awesome, and if you drink a few beers along the it gets to be more fun. Here's our last try at it last summer, the pictures look good but I couldn't tell you how they tasted, short memory :tequila:
 

Attachments

  • DSC02310.jpg
    DSC02310.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 5

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Denali n DOO said:
Ain't nothing like a few propane fryers on the go, we use them quite often. I gotta try the wing thing sometime, I'm guessing you dust em before frying?

Ya. I have 3 burners myself. They are real nice for a variety of thongs.

I fry wings naked. No batter, no flour, just chicken. Anything else seems to just hold oil. To get a nice crisp skin you just pull the basket in and out of the oil a few times right before pulling them. The hot to cold seems to do the trick and everyone loves em.
 

Porkins

Member
Dec 5, 2011
6,960
HARDTRAILZ said:
Ya. I have 3 burners myself. They are real nice for a variety of thongs.

I fry wings naked. No batter, no flour, just chicken. Anything else seems to just hold oil. To get a nice crisp skin you just pull the basket in and out of the oil a few times right before pulling them. The hot to cold seems to do the trick and everyone loves em.

:thumbsup: We know whats on Kyle's mind.
 

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
I love to throw stuff together and try something different, usually my wife will ask "what were you smoking?". Yesterday I was cooking some hash browns which we usually eat with ketchup. I thought I'd try something different so I put shredded cheese on a bun, then added the hot hash brown and topped with red onion and sour cream. It tasted great but my wife and son laughed at me.....until they got a taste
and then I had to make more,I wonder what she was smoking? View attachment 29317
 

Attachments

  • 20130703_105004-1.jpg
    20130703_105004-1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20130703_104353.jpg
    20130703_104353.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20130703_104209.jpg
    20130703_104209.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 10

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
DDonnie said:
Best time to get them is shortly after thanksgiving. I use one for my brew pot. Works great!

Like one of these???
 

Attachments

  • Mountain-Single-Bootlegger-.jpg
    Mountain-Single-Bootlegger-.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 75

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
Denali n DOO said:
Like one of these???

Haha, I wish. Just beer and cider for now
 

Conner299

Member
Jan 16, 2013
279
Denali n DOO said:
Like one of these???

Overall, not a bad pot still design. Except for the glass thumper. A. Because its made of glass, and B. A thumper should be approximately 25% to 50% the size of the pot.

And, an update on my deer back strap. I left in on the grill just a tad bit too long. Overall, came out well. Wasn't too happy with the dry rub. McCormicks cowboy rub. Everyone liked it, though. I give it a 7 out of 10.
 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
Conner299 said:
Overall, not a bad pot still design. Except for the glass thumper.
I thought that was weird too
 
May 5, 2013
434
My GF was in the mood for sea food so last night we rustled up a mess load of it. Clams, mussles, and oysters paired with corn on the cob, steamed baby potatoes, steamed green beans and fresh bread with lemon dill compound butter. It was quite the feast! Enough to make my belly feel tight!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20130704-00030.jpg
    IMG-20130704-00030.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20130704-00031.jpg
    IMG-20130704-00031.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20130704-00032.jpg
    IMG-20130704-00032.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20130704-00033.jpg
    IMG-20130704-00033.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 6

willn513

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
918
SmokeyMcBlazer said:
My GF was in the mood for sea food so last night we rustled up a mess load of it. Clams, mussles, and oysters paired with corn on the cob, steamed baby potatoes, steamed green beans and fresh bread with lemon dill compound butter. It was quite the feast! Enough to make my belly feel tight!!

That looks awesome! I love all kinds of seafood and shellfish. As my grandpa used to say- "that'd make a rabbit hug a hound"
 
May 5, 2013
434
Thanks bro. We both cook for a living so banging out food like that is no big deal but it is nice when we actually get to eat it lol. I like to help out my ATV club by cooking for them when they need it. Here's a few pics from last falls poker run
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20120811-00053.jpg
    IMG-20120811-00053.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20120811-00051.jpg
    IMG-20120811-00051.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20120810-00046.jpg
    IMG-20120810-00046.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20120810-00045.jpg
    IMG-20120810-00045.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20120810-00044.jpg
    IMG-20120810-00044.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20120811-00054.jpg
    IMG-20120811-00054.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20120811-00055.jpg
    IMG-20120811-00055.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20120811-00058.jpg
    IMG-20120811-00058.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20120811-00059.jpg
    IMG-20120811-00059.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Like
Reactions: BHAMER

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665



 
  • Like
Reactions: BHAMER

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
HARDTRAILZ said:

Looks awesome bro! Got a few questions if ya don't mind. What kind of wood chips are you using (or which do you prefer with pork) and do you soak the wood chips first? Do you have to add wood chips throughout the cooking process at all? I was thinking of trying hickory or apple to smoke a pork butt. Looks like a bone in butt, how long did it take and what temp do you maintain the bbq at? Any special prep to the butt? I like your method of a smoker tray. I have a little cast iron box but it don't work well at all, not enough smoke. I was thinking of getting a smoker tube (maybe 10-12" long, 2"dia.) which has holes all over it, your unscrew the top and fill it with chips and put it on the grill. But I'm thinking your method would produce more smoke...

I was also thinking of smoking a boneless butt and putting it on the rotisserie so it's higher up in the bbq where the smoke is, plus all surfaces of the butt would get smoked. I wish I had a proper smoker.
 

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
My BBQ died this early this year, got it in 2000, cost about $1000 back then. I've been without one since it died.....well kinda It was a Broil King Imperial with rotisserie and side burner. It was a good bbq and lasted 13 years. So I started looking at new ones and that was a pita, Broil Kings again too but I also looked at Webers, Napoleon and Vermont Castings. Lol, I didn't like the Broil Kings they seemed cheap compared to the others. Webers mostly had SS grills which I'm not very fond of those. I really liked the Vermont Castings, it had ceramic coated cast grills that looked really interesting but at $1400 I wasn't going there. I ended up with a Napoleon. It's last years model but new in the box. Reg $1150 plus tax and I got it for $850 including tax. It's NG, 3 burner, infrared rear burner and infrared side burner too. The side burner gets to 1800 degrees and has a cast grill which will be awesome for steaks. I haven't really cooked on it yet. The only thing I don't like is the wavy main grills and wavy circle grills on the side burner. I like putting grill marks on food and these grills don't look good for that....

Here's a few pics,
 

Attachments

  • 20130722_185650.jpg
    20130722_185650.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20130817_204037.jpg
    20130817_204037.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20130818_145438.jpg
    20130818_145438.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20130818_145513.jpg
    20130818_145513.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 5
  • 20130818_145349.jpg
    20130818_145349.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20130804_134758.jpg
    20130804_134758.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20130817_203440.jpg
    20130817_203440.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 4

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Denali n DOO said:
Looks awesome bro! Got a few questions if ya don't mind. What kind of wood chips are you using (or which do you prefer with pork) and do you soak the wood chips first? Do you have to add wood chips throughout the cooking process at all? I was thinking of trying hickory or apple to smoke a pork butt. Looks like a bone in butt, how long did it take and what temp do you maintain the bbq at? Any special prep to the butt? I like your method of a smoker tray. I have a little cast iron box but it don't work well at all, not enough smoke. I was thinking of getting a smoker tube (maybe 10-12" long, 2"dia.) which has holes all over it, your unscrew the top and fill it with chips and put it on the grill. But I'm thinking your method would produce more smoke...

I was also thinking of smoking a boneless butt and putting it on the rotisserie so it's higher up in the bbq where the smoke is, plus all surfaces of the butt would get smoked. I wish I had a proper smoker.

The chips are Jack Daniels pre bagged from the store. We keep them in the pan with some whiskey and add beer as they get too dry. They are not the primary smoke though. I have a Chargriller Trio. It has a smoke box down to the right of the grilling surface. We use a bit of charcoal to start and then feed apple and oak pieces. Oak burns slower, but the apple is better smoke. When going overnight I use more oak, because I tend to not watch it as close and it burner hotter and longer with more room for error. Mostly apple this time and all different sized chunk. Tried to maintain 200-250 with a good smoke.

The chicken was on about 3.5 hours and the leg bones pulled straight out clean. 180 in the thick part of leg.

The Bone-in butt was about 7 hours this time(160 in center) and coulda/shoulda been longer, then one the night before was on for about 10 hours cooking and a couple more as the heat n fire died out. First was far more tender.

We wrap the meat in aluminum foil right after pulling off grill and give 20 minutes to an hour to sort of bake itself. Seems to really help the juices permeate the meat. Or we may be wasting out time.

Definitely just a fun hobby and honestly at 830 Sat night we had no intention of smoking anything...about 20 hours later we had a chicken, some potatoes, and 2 huge butts smoked. Lot of beers dranks and good times.

Stolen pic of my same Grill setup...



Side burner on left. Gas three burner in left drum. Charcoal in right drum. Smoke box on lower right. The Charcoal and smoke box are open to each other in a half moon and there is an adjustable air intake port on the fire box and the flapper on the charcoal side is adjustable. I use all but the side burner. First couple years it was all gas living in the city, but now it is charcoal mostly and the occasional smoke fest.

Under $500. I got it as a present from my father-in-law. Damn thing weighs 206 lbs.

I also use a extremely heavy duty TexaSmoker out at out farm. It is basically two sqaure 1/4 inch steel boxes, one low for fire and the other for food. it is one tough SOB...Actually dropped it off a tractor bucket and the only thing that broke was the thermometer. It work out in a couple weeks when I am doing 6-8 butts for a going away party for my Bro-in-law going into Active Army. We gave 100 for it and you could make more than that in scrap.
 

jonbo2002

Member
Sep 27, 2012
213
The wife smoked a whole chicken while I am at work!:wootwoot:Can't wait to get home tonight.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 45

Conner299

Member
Jan 16, 2013
279
My first attempt at homemade pretzel rolls. They don't look pretty, but they were BOMB!:wootwoot:

IMG_20130909_215339_867_zps888e346c.jpg
 

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
Conner299 said:
My first attempt at homemade pretzel rolls. They don't look pretty, but they were BOMB!:wootwoot:

IMG_20130909_215339_867_zps888e346c.jpg

They sure look good. Those are awesome with burgers on em....and peameal bacon n cheddar of course :thumbsup:
 
  • Like
Reactions: BHAMER

Porkins

Member
Dec 5, 2011
6,960
Mind sharing your recipe? Those look tasty for my bratburgers.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BHAMER

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,483
Posts
639,847
Members
18,715
Latest member
ozzyextlt

Members Online