Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
ok so i got to change ball joints, outer tie rod ends, and wheel bearings
And i have afew questions

1. Is Raybestos a good part?
2. Do i need any special tools?
3. What size is the axle nut?
4. Is there anything i might need to know that i haven't asked?

Thanks Dak

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Dakota76 said:
1. Is Raybestos a good part?
It's a name brand. Sometimes name brands sell out and coast on their previous good reputation. Every product in their portfolio might be different, and I don't recall any particular posts warning that people had problems with Raybestos. You might find differently if you ran a search for "Raybestos problems" here and on trailvoy.
2. Do i need any special tools?
Not sure how "tooled up" you already are with pickle forks, Pittman arm pullers, and decent sized wrenches and sockets.
3. What size is the axle nut?
35mm, unless you replaced the CV shafts with Cardones in the past and used their supplied nut, in which case you might have a 36mm. Isn't this question covered in the "How To" articles here and on trailvoy?
4. Is there anything i might need to know that i haven't asked?
Not sure what you've discovered in your previous reading. You *have* discovered the threads from previous folks who have done these jobs?

Probably the best advice you need to act on starting a day or two BEFORE the job is to spray PB Blaster around to loosen things up, depending on how old the truck is and how much salt corrosion is already down there.

Dakota76

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Thaks for your quick reply Roadie
i did do a search but these are the questions i couldnt find the answers to
I never thought to do a search for raybestos problems, but i will try

Thanks again Dak

P.S.
Is there anything else i should change or look at while i have it all apart

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Dakota76 said:
Is there anything else i should change or look at while i have it all apart
Look at EVERYTHING. Wiggle EVERYTHING. Change only what's loose, corroded, or crapped out. Anti-sway bar mounting bushings are especially suspect. UCA and LCA bushings as well. I kill bushings a lot more often than I kill ball joints. And tie rod ends are a yearly consumable it seems.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Don't buy raybestos parts. I had their advance technology brake pads and I didn't favor them too much. Also their wheel bearings assemble are a joke. It only lasted 1 year for me before it started to screech.

As for other parts to look at while the wheels are off, here is a complete list for me. LCA and UCA bushing make the ride much smoother, check ball joints, both inner and outer rods, sway bar bushings, sway bar links, CV joints greased or changed, change the front diff fluid if time needed, pads and rotors, guide pins, strut... I think that is the essentials.

Special tools you would need is pickle fork, over 20 piece ball joint set from advance auto (autozone and you'll be sorry), torque wrench, impact wrench and thread locker (very important for wheel hub) and grease.

Remember to align the wheels after the ball joints.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online