GMTNation Photography thread (Camera Whore thread!)

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
mcsteven said:
About time for recognition!

Don't keep us guessing. What did you get?
Picked up a Samsung Galaxy Camera, Mostly got it for work since it can use wifi and Bluetooth due to being android based. Basically its a digital camera/tablet hybrid lol

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/galaxy-camera/galaxy-camera/EK-GC100ZWAXAC

Ok i did mention the idea of this last night so here it is. I will prob end up moving some posts from the Post whore thread that are related so that doesnt derail that thread too far lol

We are all picture whores to an extent and we tend to share pics all over the place on here...not always pics of our trucks but of other things we see around us. Here is a thread to share those pics and discuss them along with the equipment used to create the pics...

I am copying the rules of the thread that inspired this one so here they are..

Feel free to post up some of your favorite images, ask questions about equipment, or technique, or anything else, share your current gear setup, etc.

First off....the RULES OF THIS THREAD....

1) NO NSFW stuff, keep that in the nsfw threads, I (and many others) will be cruising this thread while at work, lets keep it work and family friendly. I'll delete any questionable posts without warning. if you are wondering if something is NSFW or not, please PM me before posting it.

2) all images posted are fully copyrighted by the photographer, you do NOT have the right to share, post, download, use, or print any image without specific consent of the photographer. (this is actually the real law, all photographs are immediately copyright by the photographer the instant they are taken. Images do not require any formal statement of copyright in order to be bound by this law) This is enforced strictly. most of us are pretty easy going people, if you like an image and want to use it or print it or something, please contact the photographer before you do so.

3) do NOT post any images which you do not own the rights to. if there is an image taken by someone else that you want to share, please post a link to it's original location, not the actual image itself.

4) be respectful of other people's photographic work, and their equipment. in the photography world there is alot of passion in who prefers what brand, the same way there is with the whole chevy vs ford vs dodge stuff. please be respectful of others. We're all pretty good with that around here, but its worth mentioning so we don't have to have it as a problem later.

That is about all the rules that will be specific to this thread.

here are some guidelines in asking for critique or help with your photographs:

1) when asking for critique, be prepared for it, some people get upset when they aren't showered with praise (we know this isn't you, right?) so if you're asking for critique, we will be commenting on what isn't that great, or could be improved on in our opinion. Photography is an art form, so understand that people will have a difference of opinion on things, don't get your panties in a twist if someone doesn't like your photo, or suggests ways to improve it.

2) if possible try to include the specs about an image (what equipment was used, what settings, when/where the image was taken, etc) when you post it so others can learn how you created something, or help you with critique.

3) the photographic world has alot of acronyms and technical terms that are used. if you don't understand something, feel free to ask for clarification, we are all at different levels in our ability and understanding, and we're here to help each other out.

Reactions: Mounce and Capote

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I haven't played around with or followed the technology of tablet or really good phone cameras enough to get interest. I know they can do some good stuff. I know the megapixels are quite high on some of them, but I've always believed that the glass is key. I do like the idea of using them to create video and movies.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
mcsteven said:
I haven't played around with or followed the technology of tablet or really good phone cameras enough to get interest. I know they can do some good stuff. I know the megapixels are quite high on some of them, but I've always believed that the glass is key. I do like the idea of using them to create video and movies.
Like i said i mostly got it for work purposes but i can forsee just playing around with it to see what i can do with it. Currently i have the following Cameras..Listed from oldest to newest.

Canon Powershot A470 (7.1 MP)
Nikon Coolpix L120 (14.1 MP)
Nikon D3200 DSLR
Samsung Galaxy Camera

the Canon is basically the "Truck Camera" when i was driving the Trailblazer i carried it in the console so i had a camera with me pretty much all the time. It will resume this role once the Trailblazer is online again. The new Samsung will be a secondary "Truck Camera"/Work camera. I may look at the idea of building some sort of rig to mount it to the dash of both SUVs to have it also function as sort of a Dash camera since it does take HD video.

Reactions: Capote

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
mcsteven said:
Mostly for "cameras" a lot of stuff can be modded to work with other physical formats: http://www.diyphotography.net/category/diy/
I remember you mentioning that site before, def gonna need to take another look at it!

Capote said:
I use my Ion Air Pro as a dash cam :tongue:

Can anyone guess what Capote will be doin tomorrow? Hmm :biggrin:
attachicon.gif
IMG_20140831_171450.jpg
Gonna look up that camera in a bit. Eventually i want to build a camera mount for the roof of the Blazer that uses the bolts for the roof rack..either that or bolts to the roof rack itself to mount a Go Pro or my Canon FS400 camcorder.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Darkrider_LS said:
I remember you mentioning that site before, def gonna need to take another look at it!

Gonna look up that camera in a bit. Eventually i want to build a camera mount for the roof of the Blazer that uses the bolts for the roof rack..either that or bolts to the roof rack itself to mount a Go Pro or my Canon FS400 camcorder.
It's a great camera, it's very on par with go pro, some people prefer it over a go pro actually. Includes a Wifi pod so you can connect it to your computer or phone over wifi and see what you're filming or look at what you've recorded previously. It's awesome that it makes its own Wifi, that way no matter where you are you can always use that feature.

Reactions: mcsteven

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Capote said:
It's a great camera, it's very on par with go pro, some people prefer it over a go pro actually. Includes a Wifi pod so you can connect it to your computer or phone over wifi and see what you're filming or look at what you've recorded previously. It's awesome that it makes its own Wifi, that way no matter where you are you can always use that feature.
Now that is a feature i could def see myself preferring it over the go pro for.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Darkrider_LS said:
Now that is a feature i could def see myself preferring it over the go pro for.
Here's the tutorial for that feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGGwGobzQBg

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Check out this mount. I made this in about 30 mins. Really cool. You can extend to the sides a bit (don't let it get wobley), I bet easily adaptable to tablet form, and easy to use a remote (like a headset for the tablet) or close enough to narrate for video.

http://www.diyphotography.net/a-shotgun-camera-tripod-mounting-a-camera-next-to-the-drivers-seat/

I have been working on some plans for a couple of mounts that would use one piece unique to the car and then others interchangeable. The unique piece would screw in where the visers mount and then the visors would screw in on top of it. It would be a bent bar so the visors would still work. I'm thinking square tubing, and a number of holes. Then a couple of different mounts onto it: one to turn the camera sideways, one with some depth to allow a camera to be pointed out the windshield or low to be closer to the dash, etc. I'd like to have some stability or counter-weight on the mounts.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
mcsteven said:
Check out this mount. I made this in about 30 mins. Really cool. You can extend to the sides a bit (don't let it get wobley), I bet easily adaptable to tablet form, and easy to use a remote (like a headset for the tablet) or close enough to narrate for video.

http://www.diyphotography.net/a-shotgun-camera-tripod-mounting-a-camera-next-to-the-drivers-seat/

I have been working on some plans for a couple of mounts that would use one piece unique to the car and then others interchangeable. The unique piece would screw in where the visers mount and then the visors would screw in on top of it. It would be a bent bar so the visors would still work. I'm thinking square tubing, and a number of holes. Then a couple of different mounts onto it: one to turn the camera sideways, one with some depth to allow a camera to be pointed out the windshield or low to be closer to the dash, etc. I'd like to have some stability or counter-weight on the mounts.
Wow that's an awesome DIY mount dude :biggrin:

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Capote said:
Here's the tutorial for that feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGGwGobzQBg
Now that is pretty damn cool! Since i noticed the app is avalable for Android devices as well i can def forsee using a couple of my older 'droid phones as controls/monitors for an Ion camera. Oh!..snap just realized since the new Samsung camera is also android...i could use the app on it! Camera controlling a Camera

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Yeah man, there's a lot of possibilities with this Camera, that's why I bought it over the GoPro :thumbsup: It's already Wifi ready and it's already waterproof, unlike the GoPro that needs a shell to do-so.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
These were taken a year or so ago with my canon powershot a470 set on sepia mode,no flash, cant remember the rest of the settings, only tweeks on photoscape were resizing.

The bike is a 1976 Yamaha DT250C dual sport I bought in 2012

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I really like those photos, I could see them being displayed on my wall :biggrin: The 3rd one almost looks as if its in front of a backdrop, it looks quite appealing to the eye :thumbsup:

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Capote said:
I really like those photos, I could see them being displayed on my wall :biggrin: The 3rd one almost looks as if its in front of a backdrop, it looks quite appealing to the eye :thumbsup:
Thanks, In fact the second one is on my bedroom door. Feel free to print them off to display them if you like.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
No problem man, I probably will print one of them off, but my printer is currently broken unfortunately :no: and I dunno where my photo paper is either

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I like the idea of this thread. I take a lot of pictures of my kids and dabble with Photoshop a little.

I've looked at photography forums, but haven't found a beginner friendly forum. I'll definitely post up some of my work because I'd really like to improve my pictures.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
When I was in high school I used to dabble a bit in photo editing, nothing serious just stuff I found on the internet and my own little projects. I used an awesome free program called GIMP. It's pretty much the same as Adobe Photoshop.

Link here: http://www.gimp.org/

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Aviary photo editor is free for Android. Seems to have a lot of features, but I am still a noob to photo editing. No where near the level of STLtrailbSS.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I'm a noob as well, used to know a lot more back in High School, back when I was into drawing and editing photos. Lost my passion for both after High School.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Capote said:
When I was in high school I used to dabble a bit in photo editing, nothing serious just stuff I found on the internet and my own little projects. I used an awesome free program called GIMP. It's pretty much the same as Adobe Photoshop.

Link here: http://www.gimp.org/
I have GIMP but havent used it much..i use a program called Photoscape for most of my editing.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I used it to make those funny pictures of Trails we all like so much :rotfl:

Reactions: dmanns67

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Capote said:
I used it to make those funny pictures of Trails we all like so much :rotfl:
Lmfao

Reactions: mcsteven and Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I haven't had any ideas since my last one with him as gingy on the cookie platter with the OEM Mud Flaps; I know he stated he wanted me to make it a regular thing :rotfl:

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Suggestion for first rule: if you are wondering if the image is NSFW, then most likely the image is NSFW. Imagine if your mother or grandmother worked there. Would you want it displayed where they work?

Reactions: Mounce and Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
mcsteven said:
Suggestion for first rule: if you are wondering if the image is NSFW, then most likely the image is NSFW. Imagine if your mother or grandmother worked there. Would you want it displayed where they work?
i'd think they'd laugh....

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
They might, but you might not think it ok for some schmuck to display it - right?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Yeah
was just being silly

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Very good points!

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I feel really old. You guys are talking about software in high school. I had limited access to a B&W darkroom in high school. Editing was by using light filters and dodge & burn with the enlarger, and a little retouching after it was printed.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
My High School had a dark room, when me and my wife were dating she used to do a little photography and she showed me the dark room they had in one of the art classrooms

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
We had a darkroom in my high school as well...I took photography classes during grade 12 and used my dads old 35 mm camera for it. Sadly finding a decent photo developer in this town is pretty much impossible thus why i no longer shoot in 35 mm.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
mcsteven said:
I feel really old. You guys are talking about software in high school. I had limited access to a B&W darkroom in high school. Editing was by using light filters and dodge & burn with the enlarger, and a little retouching after it was printed.
Same here.

We did have one digital camera when I was in photography class, it took a 3.5" floppy disc. It took terrible pictures.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Hypnotoad said:
Same here.

We did have one digital camera when I was in photography class, it took a 3.5" floppy disc. It took terrible pictures.
IIRC the digital camera we had in my high school was very similar...it was about the size of an old polaroid and took a floppy lol

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Digital and 3.5 floppies. Sounds like the Sony Mavica. Big, rectangular, floppy on the right side with big screen on the back. Took forever between button and picture capture.

I've got Photoshop as well. Had a contact at Adobe. I have a licensed version of their entire PC library that was available in 2006, and something about the licenses is set so I don't pay upgrade fees.

Gimp is pretty good. If you can shoot RAW mode (and you don't have Photoshop) check out freebie RAW Therapee (correct spelling). They have it in 32 & 64 bit editions, PC or Mac. RAW files are big, but powerful editing capabilities built in. Anyone not have the software or wants some examples from their files just yell via PM. http://www.rawtherapee.com/

Opanda IExif is another freebie. It just gives you some info on your pics, and it can tell you the shutter count on many cameras if you're looking at a used camera. http://opanda.com/en/iexif/

It's not been updated or supported for a while, but if you want to make easy albums, webpage photo albums, resize, etc - much faster than Photoshop - look for a program called PMIO or Pink Mouse Image Organiser (with an S, not a Z). It said it wouldn't work with new Windows, but I installed it and am able to use it no problems. http://www.brothersoft.com/pink-mouse.s-image-organiser-6087.html

I know I'll learn some and if I can be a reference for anyone just yell.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
mcsteven said:
Digital and 3.5 floppies. Sounds like the Sony Mavica. Big, rectangular, floppy on the right side with big screen on the back. Took forever between button and picture capture.

I've got Photoshop as well. Had a contact at Adobe. I have a licensed version of their entire PC library that was available in 2006, and something about the licenses is set so I don't pay upgrade fees.

Gimp is pretty good. If you can shoot RAW mode (and you don't have Photoshop) check out freebie RAW Therapee (correct spelling). They have it in 32 & 64 bit editions, PC or Mac. RAW files are big, but powerful editing capabilities built in. Anyone not have the software or wants some examples from their files just yell via PM. http://www.rawtherapee.com/

Opanda IExif is another freebie. It just gives you some info on your pics, and it can tell you the shutter count on many cameras if you're looking at a used camera. http://opanda.com/en/iexif/

It's not been updated or supported for a while, but if you want to make easy albums, webpage photo albums, resize, etc - much faster than Photoshop - look for a program called PMIO or Pink Mouse Image Organiser (with an S, not a Z). It said it wouldn't work with new Windows, but I installed it and am able to use it no problems. http://www.brothersoft.com/pink-mouse.s-image-organiser-6087.html

I know I'll learn some and if I can be a reference for anyone just yell.
I believe the one we had was made by Polaroid...either way it was a big clunky thing...I had checked out RAW Therapee before but have not had a chance to download it yet lol...Something to do over this week i suppose.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
When I was in high school we used Pentax Spotmatics. I still have a Pentax MX. Wish that I could find film for it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online