GMT900 auto climate control - driver side blowing HOT, passenger cold

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
This is on my 2007.5 GMT900 pickup with automatic climate control. My first vehicle with a fancy snazzy automagic comfort doohicky lol.

Last winter I noticed it was getting hotter in the truck on my way to work one morning than I thought it should. Checked and the two driver side vents were blowing roasting hot air while the passenger vents were only mildly warm. Actuator got jammed is what came to mind. Came out from work at the end of the day and noticed on my way home it worked normally. Just a fluke I guessed, and had worked fine since.

Fast forward to today. Left work, AC running, all's good. Headed to the hardware, halfway there the air temperature out the vents felt lukewarm. Crap, my AC just quit I thought. Muttering, I rolled down the windows and shut off the AC. Whoa, the air coming out the vents is stupid hot now... Checked the passenger vent, normal air temp. Kicked AC back on, passenger vents are nice and cold, driver vents back to lukewarm. So, I'm getting hot air and AC air mixed on the driver side. Terrific. Closed the driver's vents off so at least the truck would stay cooler inside overall.

Truck sat at my next stop for a couple hours. Came out to it, started it up, checked the vents, all blowing cold like normal, and stayed that way all the way home.

Left to go grab something for dinner a little bit after that, ran it in vent mode only because it was cooler out by then (no AC) and had the windows open. A few miles down the road the air coming from the driver vents got really hot again. Passenger vents still blowing normal vented air.

TL;DR
When I had an actuator go bad on my old 2002 Trailblazer it started making these nasty snapping noises. I've heard nothing weird from my truck, just it seems to be randomly slamming the driver side to full hot. Is this likely an actuator issue still, or something else with the auto climate control? If actuator, where is the location and part number of that part?

I'm finding a lot more info about the 99-07 models (NBS) but not a whole lot about 07.5+ (NNBS) and even fewer of those with the auto climate control. I don't want to assume that parts and/or locations are the same from the NBS to the NNBS years.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Blend door for sure, all the signs point to it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The 07 sierra also does this but isn't auto. The blend door has a mind of its own. It's behind the glove box iirc. Just pop it down like the tb and it's there. Usually a good smack to the dash also will help this problem

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Did more digging late last night and found the likely culprit is the blend door that thankfully is right behind the passenger kick panel. Same darn part that the GMT360 uses, that GM had started using back in the mid-late 90s. 80 bucks.

At least it isn't the one buried halfway in the middle of the dash!

This morning it wasn't as hot, but still stuck warmer than the passenger side.

Fun!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have you tried resetting the HVAC system by pulling the HVAC fuses? On the 360, it's the HVAC-B fuse. Don't know about full size.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
No I haven't done that yet. Probably should before I go replacing parts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online