GMT360 as police/emergency vehicle

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Today I had the occasion of running with my lights on as a first responder.... let me tell you.... for a vehicle with close to 300,000 miles on the odometer it had absolutely no difficulty doing 110 miles per hour for 25 miles.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
:wowfaint: I have an 05 with 245K and have done or even over maintained it .. but i don't think i would go 110 for 25 miles with it .. Just goes to show the possibility of these :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My 07 was previous outfitted with police equipment however, where it was assigned Likely never went beyond 120km/h.

Now unless it was tuned, it should have been governed to 100mph.

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
My 07 was previous outfitted with police equipment however, where it was assigned Likely never went beyond 120km/h.

Now unless it was tuned, it should have been governed to 100mph.
I've always suspected it was tuned because the fuel economy is terrible and it was definitely not goverened. It sounds amazing when I get on it.... but I did delete the rear resonator and had it replaced with a pipe from the muffler to a 90 degree bend behind the tire.

The depressing part is how many people were completely indifferent to an e-car approaching them at 100+ mph..... sooooo many people didn't move over..... just..... wow......

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Also, I backed off over 110 because it got a little "loose".... if you're familiar with racing terms, you know.....

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
5-6000lbs moving around at that speed will have some "movement"
Only pushed mine up to 110 (just this morning, was a bit late for work!), didnt notice moving around, but I have lower profile tires likely, and I believe because its a Saab, stiffer springs and roll bar maybe?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Today I had the occasion of running with my lights on as a first responder.... let me tell you.... for a vehicle with close to 300,000 miles on the odometer it had absolutely no difficulty doing 110 miles per hour for 25 miles.
You're Batman !!...

• Haha
Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I tried pushing 120 before, stopped once I reached 110 because of that loose feeling (granted this was before the partial front end suspension rebuild). I'd be happier to do it more often if these trucks came with a 5 or 6 speed, once you reach 80+ is when you realize how much the tranny holds these things back.

Reactions: northcreek

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
5-6000lbs moving around at that speed will have some "movement"
Only pushed mine up to 110 (just this morning, was a bit late for work!), didnt notice moving around, but I have lower profile tires likely, and I believe because its a Saab, stiffer springs and roll bar maybe?
I think my issue is the tires.... they're all season (geared more towards winter, actually) and were definitely getting some air under the tread. Also, the front end could use a freshening up and the rear sway bar bushings need replaced. I've done Front bushings and end-links, rear end-links, and outer tie-rods (the tie-rods being years ago, the rest fairly recently). I can't remember when the last time I put uppers or lowers in though. Front wheel bearings are changed biannually or so (this thing eats ABS sensors and it's just as much work/cost to replace the whole bearing). And since I have the air suspension and the compressor is shot, I teed my lines and fill it up manually, so my air springs are perpetually high/stiff.... which probably contributes to the front end being a little loose at speed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online