GMT 360 Quad Tail lights Modification.

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
So any word on all the pics up in post #1? I'm still not seeing any images at all. I would like to do this mod soon, but there seems to be a conspiracy against it. Everywhere I go looking for more info, it's missing links or broken links or video I can't make out clearly. But from the compliments, it sounds like this how-to was really good before it disappeared!

If you host the images on imgur.com, they should stay hosted more or less forever, unlike all those other image hosting sites that eventually delete them.

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
If you look close at my original post you can see some of the wires and what they are.
nonsrck.jpg

The original post is gone but this diagram still works. This is for a non-CK LED conversion yes? But this diagram won't give you quad brakes? Just quad-parking lights... which I'm assuming are another name for "tail lights"? Can you do a quad-brake mod to these boards that does NOT require wiring into the towing harness? Or is that a no due to the way combo brake light/blinker lights need to alternate as they flash?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
We lost the galleries, 2 platform software changes ago, and unfortunately we aren't getting those pics back. Also, the OP has been banned, so he won't be back either. I'm assuming he did not save his original copies of the pics, because he never reposted them as attachments, or opted for a 3rd party hosting site like many of us use, so you're pretty much out of luck in that aspect.

From memory, I believe the boards that he bought didn't have the stamped metal traces that were laid into the plastic cases, but there was wiring instead, which is much easier for some people to modify. Depending on your level of patience, you can recreate his steps if you take your time. The steps and descriptions are pretty detailed, and shouldn't be too bad if you have the boards right there in front of you.

Reactions: Matt

BobbyP

Aug 14, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Ok I decided to tackle the Quad tail light mod, so I went out to my garage dug into them and using parts I had in my garage made it happen! I did this mod with parts available at any local auto parts store, I had everything I needed in my garage so I do not know an exact total cost. :eyebrowhuh:

Materials Needed;

(2) GM Light socket 85832
(2) 1157 Light Bulbs
Assorted heat shrink tubing
Solder
Silicone or permatex
Zip ties

Tools Needed;

Right Angle Grinder or equivalent
Screw drivers
Soldering Gun
Drill
Drill Bit 1/4"
Lighter/Torch
Wire Strippers
Wire cutters

:ok:
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:642]

Remove your tail lights from the vehicle, then remove the gray bulb socket board.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:632]

Using a screw driver gently pry the casing open.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:633]

This is What it will look like once opened.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:634]

Using the drill and drill bit, drill the top of the plastic welds securing the bulb socket.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:635]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:636]

Using a screw driver push down on the electrical connection while lifting the socket. Gently remove the socket from the case.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:637]

Take the drill and remove the plastic weld holding this connector, and remove it from the case. you will not need it.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:638]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:639]

This is what it should look like at this point.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:640]

Now take your grinder and remove all of the tits from this area. When done it should look like this.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:641]

This is the bulb socket. Remove the plastic piece from the back, and cut off the locking tab.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:643]

Also grind down the 3 perches that are around the socket, and grind down the plastic on the bottom until it is flush with the metal contacts. It should look like this.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:644]

Cut a piece of plastic from the socket package large enough to cover the entire area. This will keep the bulb socket from making contact with the metal strips inside the casing.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:645]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:646]

Strip the wires back and pre-solder (tinning) the wires and the contacts as shown in the picture.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:647]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:648]

Solder the connection as follows. Black = -12v, Brown = +12v tails, White = +12v Stop.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:649]

Tuck the wires in as shown, make sure the plastic is laying under the socket. put your silicon or other sealant on the lid. Install it, the bulbs, and the seals and screw the assembly back on to the tail light.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:650]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:651]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:652]

Cut this wire at the tail light harness on the truck, it is the light blue colored wire.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:653]

Slide a piece of heat shrink over the wire coming from the truck and seal it.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:654]

Solder a piece of 16 gauge wire to the light blue wire from the plug on the tail light. This will be the exact same procedure on both sides of the vehicle.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:655]

Don't forget the heat shrink! At this point you can go ahead and re-install your tail lights.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:656]

Underneath the truck we are going to strap the wires and run them over to the trailer plug. The wiring is as follows;

Small green wire will be spliced to the wire from the Passenger side tail light.
Small Yellow Wire will be spliced to the wire from the Driver side Tail light.

White wire = -12v (not used)
Blue Wire = +12v Trailer Brake (not used)
Red Wire = +12v (not used)
Light Green Wire = +12v Reverse Light (not used)
Brown = +12v Running lights (not used)

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:657]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:658]

Finished product! :celebrate:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:659]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:660]

Sorry If this has already been done in another thread, but it is my understanding that so far we have had to find more boards from other tail lights to get sockets. So i am hoping this will make it easier and cheaper. If anyone has any good info to add please feel free. :hail:

I hope this helps :thumbsup:
New to the 'nation.... none of the pics are available...any way you could re-post them?? much thanks!!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That will never happen. He's banned.

Smooth43

Aug 10, 2018
Detroit
I'm new to nation your quad taillight mode brought me here trying to see the diagram, but I just seen that you told another member it's band do you mind telling me why and if you are able to send me a direct message helping me with the diagram

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I'm new to nation your quad taillight mode brought me here trying to see the diagram, but I just seen that you told another member it's band do you mind telling me why and if you are able to send me a direct message helping me with the diagram
I personally know the OP, I can see if he has any diagrams or pics from when he did this mod years ago.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online