GMT 360/370/305 Survivor class

Billdaman1

Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Ohio
As a GM Engineer that worked on this platform, I have struggled with parting with my old XUV, and finally decided I could not. Going forward I’m committed to making it a “Rat rod survivor“. I have replaced almost every common failure mechanical and electrical component on this platform, yet my truck remains remarkably stock.

In addition, I have nearly every OEM accessory ever sold for the XUV. Question for the forum moderators, is it time to add a “survivor” class sticky/ category to the forum for GMT 360/370/305 trucks?

Would really appreciate seeing pictures of these trucks that have been kept on the road through shear determination and mechanical and electrical competence, making the tracks true ”Survivor” Class vehicles.

Is time to start the sticky / Catagory?

(Note, just turned 160 K - its entire life has been in the super salty Northeast US). After front suspension replacement it runs like a charm!

FA60ECE8-2019-4DE2-8E29-FBEFA216F739.jpeg

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
These trucks are becoming a rarity given the low sales/production and that more often than not, I see them more in the yards than on the road.

Apart from a couple of battle scars, yours has survived remarkably well. I remember as a young lad that when a vehicle rolled over 100k miles, it was done. So much so that manufacturers didn't even bother adding a 6th digit. Nowadays, it's common to see double or even triple that and more.

And having had a hand into its design certainly makes it special for you personally and I don't blame you for wanting to keep it. Which part were you involved in? We complain about engineers for poor design choices (i.e. part A gets in the way of replacing part B) but I think that has more to do with the bean counters and lack of communication between departments.

As far as a sticky, we do have a Member Builds section which can be used for showcasing your particular truck even if you're not "building" or modding it. I have moved this thread there. I think all of our trucks are survivors until they do succumb to the ravages of time and wear. Having sent three to their graves, my '02 EXT, an '05 parts Saab and just recently, my '06 Saab, I know what that feels like.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I very rarely see them in yards. I have seen 2 in the last 8 years. One was a V8, the other was not. Every time I find one, I have already bought the hard parts I needed thru eBay or something. But I go to get soft parts (trim pieces, covers, etc). I love my XUV, but my V8 is showing some engine noise sounds like @Mooseman experienced before his engine grenaded in his 9-7x. Luckily its an LS, so engines are to be had everywhere, but finding one thats lower mileage, aluminum block, 24x, and in a price that isnt more than the truck is worth... L33, LH6, LM4 are the direct swaps... But I want a LS2 6.0, but that means more money, and generally, a lot more. May have to settle for a LQ4 or LQ9...

I still believe they marketed the XUV wrong. I think if they had removed the back seat, made the mid-gate lay down permanently, and had the tail gate swing a bit wider, these would have been perfect, already built, funeral hearse, and yes, that includes the retracting top.. Top open for some dignitary, or something.

Billdaman1

Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Ohio
These trucks are becoming a rarity given the low sales/production and that more often than not, I see them more in the yards than on the road.

Apart from a couple of battle scars, yours has survived remarkably well. I remember as a young lad that when a vehicle rolled over 100k miles, it was done. So much so that manufacturers didn't even bother adding a 6th digit. Nowadays, it's common to see double or even triple that and more.

And having had a hand into its design certainly makes it special for you personally and I don't blame you for wanting to keep it. Which part were you involved in? We complain about engineers for poor design choices (i.e. part A gets in the way of replacing part B) but I think that has more to do with the bean counters and lack of communication between departments.

As far as a sticky, we do have a Member Builds section which can be used for showcasing your particular truck even if you're not "building" or modding it. I have moved this thread there. I think all of our trucks are survivors until they do succumb to the ravages of time and wear. Having sent three to their graves, my '02 EXT, an '05 parts Saab and just recently, my '06 Saab, I know what that feels like.

Thanks Mooseman! For the GMT 305 I was involved from day 1 when they were taking it from an idea to a sketch. I still have copies of the different variant hand sketches the artist rendered based on the ideas that were generated. One concept had a canvas retractable top like a convertible. Another concept had a removable / storable roof panel.

I was able to be part of the entire project by being involved in Quality planning in the earliest stages and went into Manufacturing engineering as the concepts took shape in clay and we hammered out the details of design for manufacturability.

I had responsibility for the movable roof, interior trim in the cargo area, and the Butresses. Also some roles for the end gate and mid gate. In my view the mid gate and cargo trim were beautifully executed. The end gate was a mix of trade offs against the technical challenges of attempting to net locate a massive closure that interfaced with the roof, roof seals quarter panels, multiple hinges and striker points and finally the floor.

It never should have been designed as a net build. As a dropgate/ Swinggate, Each door should have been fixture set / fit to the body just like they did on the B body wagons. The net build was to save labor in the plant. Statistically it was possible. In reality it sucked.

Add class 2 electronics, solenoids, switches, relays and designs that were constrained by ergonomics in the factory and you had a nightmare that was pulled off, yet admittedly poorly executed.

Then there was the “Buttress”. It was the dream of the chief engineer to do that design. It was completely paralyzing to the engineers and the public, yet it went forward. I nearly lost my job over conflicts with the nitwit engineer that assured us that a large 2 piece chrome panel with 17 blind push in fasteners could be reliably snapped in place by an operator on a moving assembly line. I personally think the buttress was the death blow to the truck. It rendered the truck to looking like a tub from the rear.

None the less, I love the memories and that’s why it’s difficult to part with her.

Regarding serviceability. Blame GM not the engineers. The service engineers at the time were all contract employees, not permanent. Imagine that! No loyalty, came and went as they pleased, it was hard to say what got done, but it wasn’t in my area. Huge mistake that you pay the price for every time you spin a wrench.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online