GMC Nameplate on Frt Grille-How to Paint It?

DrData

Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
Just bought a nice used 2008 GMC Yukon Denali, black exterior. The GMC nameplate on the front grille is a [worn out] silver color. I'm thinking I'd like to paint the emblem a Glossy Black for a nicer appearance.
Can anyone provide some how-to tips on the painting process? Remove emblem or just try to paint it while still mounted on the grille? If remove, how-to un-mount it?
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I believe two nuts hold it on from behind the grill. You can pull the grill and probably get it figured out on how to get it off.

As for painting, you could go all newspaper and masking tape and tape it off and leave it on the grill but it'd probably be much easier to remove it.

paulcmartin

May 13, 2013
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:59343]
I did mine with plasti dip, you just tape off... spray... and peel off the excess.

Reactions: DrData

DrData

Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I will continue to pursue this as the weather finally warms up here in Michigan! :smile:

Jun 16, 2014
I recently read a thread on here of someone removing the GMC from the grill and then separating the amber GMC from the chrome outlining. It seems like alot of work, however, it is probably the best option in terms of quality and longevity. I painted mine white a couple years back, tediously taping around the chrome outline, came out good but no matter how good you tape off you will not be able to get all the way in the edges. Only problem mentioned with removing the GMC from the grill is how fragile the clips are, if you break em i think a new emblem is around 150.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
May be easier to just lay down a bunch of tape, roughly following the chrome border, and then going back with a razor blade, or Exacto knife, along the groove to remove excess tape that's on the red part of the logo. Spray the necessary amount of coats, then peel the edge tape off. :twocents:

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher