Gmc Envoy Rear glass

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I am going to look at a listing on craigslist for a rear glass that goes on the hatch, My heat element stopped working and I need it. Did anything change between the years of the SWB Envoy within the years? Thanks
Trent

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you can use a meter, you could troubleshoot the rear defrost grid (assuming the problem is the grid on the glass, and not somewhere else in the circuit), find where the connection is broken, and fix it with one of those repair kits :twocents:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Blckshdw said:
If you can use a meter, you could troubleshoot the rear defrost grid (assuming the problem is the grid on the glass, and not somewhere else in the circuit), find where the connection is broken, and fix it with one of those repair kits :twocents:

Its been fixed before, its within the glass Dont feel like trouble shooting, The last owner had trouble with it and its only $100 lol

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Since there's no aftermarket rear glass option as there is for windshields, junkyards selling them know that and have jacked up the price towards the $900 new parts cost. A craigslist seller only asking $100 is somebody who doesn't know the market rate, and should be taken advantage of, or it's got a problem like a bad grid, and you need to not be taken advantage of in return.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
Since there's no aftermarket rear glass option as there is for windshields, junkyards selling them know that and have jacked up the price towards the $900 new parts cost.

Holy Poop batman that's freaking expensive.....I hope I never have to replace the rear hatch glass on my envoy! If I do, I may be one of those drivers with seran wrap and duct tape :redface:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I had mine replaced under insurance, it was $1600. Might have been a little cheaper if paying cash but still. That's an expensive piece of glass.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
NewfieEnvoy said:
...That's an expensive piece of glass.
:eek: And the Canadian surcharge makes it much worse, I see. :eek: Just checked parts4chevys.com and their price for the $900 list SWB, defogger, tinted is $617. gmpartsdirect.com wants $555, which is closer (or equal) to wholesale, but they're notorious for making their profit on the shipping. I personally disagree with that business model. YMMV.

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
:eek: And the Canadian surcharge makes it much worse, I see. :eek: Just checked parts4chevys.com and their price for the $900 list SWB, defogger, tinted is $617. gmpartsdirect.com wants $555, which is closer (or equal) to wholesale, but they're notorious for making their profit on the shipping. I personally disagree with that business model. YMMV.

I think we all disagree with that business model. Just because the client is bent over doesn't mean they need to be seduced. :eek:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online