GMC envoy - low oil - shut off engine causes?

Dudeextrem

Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Bellaire
Hey there, my wife’s 2005 gmc envoy just started this a week ago. She was driving everything ok and the screen started saying “low oil pressure shut engine off immediately”. She obviously did so as soon as she got home. When I got home I checked the oil, it was a touch low, maybe half a quart but definitely not out. I’m running 5w30 high mileage valviline. (Oil change less than 1xxx age) Thinking the worst I took it to a shop to have them look at it, they checked the oil pressure, let it idle, drove it and the message never came back. As soon as we pulled back into home it happened again. I’ve read on the internet about switching out the oil sensor right by the filter, but our dash oil gauge (instrument panel) has never fluctuated and stayed right in the middle the whole time). I’m afraid to let her drive it until we get it figured out, what are some things to try? Thanks for all the help in advance.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
The oil gauge on the dash board is just an idiot light with a needle, just to look cool. Yes, change the oil sensor.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well then you must investigate if you have a actual pressure issue using a real gauge.

Dudeextrem

Original poster
Jun 12, 2019
Bellaire
Thanks, that’s what the shop did they said the pressure was fine using the gauge, I’m going to try to switch out the sensor and hope for the best thanks guys for the help

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online