GM might be forced into a new Trailblazer

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
If Ford builds this new Bronco as projected, GM might have to quit talking about a new TB and actually build one.

landscape-1456340665-b2.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: I kinda like that

Reactions: northcreek

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That Bronco?
:puke:
We would need a new TB to compete but not the one currently in the overseas markets.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I don't like the grille and bumper design, but the body design and rims I can work with.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
It kinda has the look of the old International Harvester Scouts, so I guess Ford is working the retro
concept on this as well. I wish GM *would* get off the stick and make another body on frame platform
like the GMT360.

I kind of like it, but part of that might be because a friend of mine in high school *had*
one of those Scouts (and a Jeepster Commander), and most all the memories associated with those vehicles
are good ones. :smile:

Cheers-

Chris

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We can still dream can't we?

Reactions: Bow_Tied

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Highly doubtful at least in my opinion. GM isn't as daring as they once were, like having an SS versions of almost every model back in 09. Heck, GM doesn't have anything competing with Ford's ST lineup or even MOPAR's SRT lineup.
After sitting in a dodge at the philly auto show a few weeks ago, I understand why GM doesn't bother. The cruze base I sat in had a better build quality than anything Fiat had there....

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Highly doubtful at least in my opinion. GM isn't as daring as they once were, like having an SS versions of almost every model back in 09. Heck, GM doesn't have anything competing with Ford's ST lineup or even MOPAR's SRT lineup.
I guess GM can always stick the Vette in their collective faces :poke:

:undecided: I kinda like that
I would like that with an LS in it...:2thumbsup:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
They'd come out with a new Blazer if anything (highly doubtful). GM went with the boring, Equinox-esque, un-intimidating, ugly soccer-mom look when they decided to re-brand the TB's for sale in the East. So they're not gonna redesign it just to compete with a Bronco. A modernized 2-door Blazer/Jimmy would make more sense for that kind of competition.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Probably Ford is just "blowing smoke" . Fact is that 2-doors and std. cab pick-ups just don't sell anymore .

Reactions: Bow_Tied

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Funny...that bronco has been around for 10 years and I still aint seen one sold. I think you could buy a new TB when I first saw that bronco.

Reactions: Capote

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
They made 2 door Tahoe's right up till' 99',.. Wouldnt that be considered the same platform as the f/s Blazer?

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
No way they come out with a new TB when they've go the Encore/Trax Terrain/Equinox and Enclave/Traverse triple threat. It would compete with segments they already have. If you want the body on frame heavy duty feel, then they want you in a Tahoe. To be honest, the Traverse does pretty much everything towing wise that the TB does.

I say no way.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
IMO the Traverse is just a bloated Equinox at twice the money and less HP...just sayin'

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
To be honest, the Traverse does pretty much everything towing wise that the TB does.

Even in its new SUV-looking guise for 2018 (an improvement, IMO), the primary drive wheels are in the front. And its rated tow capacity for '18 was *reduced* to 1500lb (old version was rated at 2000).

Personally, I don't think I'd call that the equivalent of the GMT360 / 370 platform (my Envoy XL is rated for 7000, as an example). I'd have serious reservations about towing anything more than a bike rack with any FF transaxle, to be honest.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Even in its new SUV-looking guise for 2018 (an improvement, IMO), the primary drive wheels are in the front. And its rated tow capacity for '18 was *reduced* to 1500lb (old version was rated at 2000).

Personally, I don't think I'd call that the equivalent of the GMT360 / 370 platform (my Envoy XL is rated for 7000, as an example). I'd have serious reservations about towing anything more than a bike rack with any FF transaxle, to be honest.
I agree, those FD transaxles are only good for hauling our asses around, put anything on the hitch and they're toast. I smoked two of them with an occasional hauling of a firewood trailer(within manuf. rating) that was a Ford though (first and last).

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
FWD and towing generally just don't go together. If you're gonna tow, get RWD.

Reactions: Reprise

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I figure most already know that GM is going to slot in 'another' CUV between the Traverse and Equinox called the Blazer (current 2018 Acadia). As good as it looks from the outside, it's the FWD stuff were all used to seeing. Sad that they can't rip a page from Jeep and 'uni frame' the chassis while providing a true RWD architecture. It would then be a true competitor to the Grand Cherokee. I could live with that.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/08/2018-chevrolet-blazer-spied-testing-alongside-rival-crossovers/

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Appreciate you posting that link. As someone said in the comments section, the better option for this new 'Blazer' would've been to put it on the Colorado (31xx) platform.

Body on Frame, Rear- or 4WD (instead of AWD), and a 300+ HP V6, along with perhaps an off-road option based on the pickup's ZR2 trim would mean lower development costs, just as they have with the planned crossover - all of those things are used in the Colorado. And it could tow - maybe 3500 - 5000 lbs, depending on transmission (although at the upper boundary, they might start cannibalizing Silverado / Yukon numbers.)

(on edit - the Colorado is tow rated for 3500-7000, depending on trim level)

I think a truck like this would steal sales from various Jeep models.

Unfortunately, to do *both* a 31xx SUV as well as a 21xx crossover - they'd probably cannibalize each other, and *neither* would reach needed sales figures to be profitable in GM's view (not that it would cost a fortune to build either - or both - being shared platform.)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So all this to say that guys like us will likely wind up in a Tahoe or a full sized pickup. The Colorado is also an option but I have yet to try to get my fat butt in one.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
They just need to build it on the current Colorado platform, but maybe with the new 4.3L V6 in it instead of the 3.6L V6, ya know??

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
So all this to say that guys like us will likely wind up in a Tahoe or a full sized pickup. The Colorado is also an option but I have yet to try to get my fat butt in one.
They just need to build it on the current Colorado platform, but maybe with the new 4.3L V6 in it instead of the 3.6L V6, ya know??
Saw an '04 Colorado on Craigslist the other day that intrigued me, being that I like smaller single cab pickups. I can see myself driving one of those when the TB becomes a Turbo Toy.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
I owned an 07 Colorado, really didn't like it. Compared to my Escape 2.5L it was a bit better but not by much. Tranny went out at 7x,xxx on that Colorado but I think that was just random bad luck. Interior was really bad quality. Ride quality was poor. Turning radius far worse than any other vehicle I've owned including all my Suburbans, the Crown Vic, and a couple times my friend drove it he remarked his F-550 had a better turning radius. The Colorado also handled very poorly in the rain, even with Michelin tires.

That said the whole segment kinda sucks. Dakotas are unreliable, Rangers handle, ride, and drive even worse than the Colorado. Tacomas are way overpriced, expensive to repair, and the interiors are not nice either.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
To be honest, the Traverse does pretty much everything towing wise that the TB does.

Complete crap statement. I owned one and was warned to even get over half the tow rating behind it and that rating was about half the TB platform to begin with. They are a joke and really should not even have a hitch on them.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I'm sure that's true, it's a FWD minivan on steroids. However, GM is happy to claim a 5,000 lb rating for the Traverse (when properly equipped, of course). I stand by my statement - in GM's eyes, there is not a hole in their lineup to be filled with a new trailblazer. The group of people on this board are not even remotely the typical customer that they're looking for. Most people by far would never even think of hitching anything beyond a bike rack to their SUV. If they ever happen to drive down a dirt road that's about as off-road as it gets. That's the market.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
(@Instrumental - please keep in mind that I'm not laughing 'at you', but rather at the ludicrousness of GM's claim... )

5000 lbs 'when properly equipped' ?
Does that mean a Silvy 2500 to tow the Traverse and whatever is hooked up to the Traverse's hitch? LMAO

Sorry, but you've got a lot of people here adhering to a common mindset (which has been proven out, time and again)...

"If it's a FF unibody, it ain't a capable tow vehicle"

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I agree with you, my SaabBlazer is the first frame on vehicle I've towed with, and it's such a pleasure to tow with compared to my previous. I'm just contributing to the conversation.

Aug 12, 2015
We have never been forced into anything. We just don't want to add a cheaper alternative to the Tahoe/Yukon. Besides, that monstrosity that Ford is now putting forward will be a flop just like the Edsel.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
^^^ I was about to say that I admire your candor (about the 'cheaper alternative', because it would impact your operating margin negatively.)

As far as the crack about Ford... A true GM associate wouldn't post that on a public forum, using their company's logo.)
Then I looked at your profile responses, and that cinched it. BTW, you might want to proofread your content there, as that's another giveaway.

I know your profile indicates that you've been a member since 2015 - but I *very* much doubt you work for GM, in any capacity.

And now I'll put my little troll hat on for a second... You actually *were* forced into something. Bankruptcy. :wink:

Reactions: northcreek

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
^^^ I was about to say that I admire your candor (about the 'cheaper alternative', because it would impact your operating margin negatively.)

As far as the crack about Ford... A true GM associate wouldn't post that on a public forum, using their company's logo.)
Then I looked at your profile responses, and that cinched it. BTW, you might want to proofread your content there, as that's another giveaway.

I know your profile indicates that you've been a member since 2015 - but I *very* much doubt you work for GM, in any capacity.

And now I'll put my little troll hat on for a second... You actually *were* forced into something. Bankruptcy. :wink:
Eh, Ford should have died with the 80s with all the recalls they had rolling... And that account is well known to be an actual member on here, I just forget who...

As for using a traverse to tow my boat, that thing wouldn't make it down any of the ramps we have here... Hell the TB usually drags the spare. You have to bury the truck to get the trailer deep enough because the ramps are all washed out from the jetskiers... Would never even try it. It's a minivan... GM just doesn't want to admit it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
And that account is well known to be an actual member on here, I just forget who...

Oh, I'm sure they're an actual *person* (e.g.; not a bot). I just seriously doubt they represent GM, given what I (and they) posted above.

If it turns out they actually *do*... they better hope no one from Corp Affairs monitors employee's social media activity posted in GM's name.
(and I'll eat my proverbial hat, as well)

Re: Ford - I'm no big fan of theirs, don't get me wrong. But employees of both companies would never say things like that about the other, publicly. They do more business together than one would think (and I'm not just talking about that new 10-speed trans they both developed / put into their respective vehicles.)

Ok...taking my corporate nanny hat off now... :poke: :popo: :deadhorse:

Reactions: Capote

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Oh, I'm sure they're an actual *person* (e.g.; not a bot). I just seriously doubt they represent GM, given what I (and they) posted above.

If it turns out they actually *do*... they better hope no one from Corp Affairs monitors employee's social media activity posted in GM's name.
(and I'll eat my proverbial hat, as well)

Re: Ford - I'm no big fan of theirs, don't get me wrong. But employees of both companies would never say things like that about the other, publicly. They do more business together than one would think (and I'm not just talking about that new 10-speed trans they both developed / put into their respective vehicles.)

Ok...taking my corporate nanny hat off now... :poke: :popo: :deadhorse:
They've been developing transmissions together since the 90s iirc.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
GM was/is banned round here. They only respond with....take it to a dealership. They can't do shit about posting in their name on stuff like this anyway Millions of screennames use GM or chevy or gmc or camaro or trailblazer or any such thing. No need for tinfoil hats cause they aint gonna come swooping in.

Love this old post....

VerticalScope, welcome to the GM family!

We just bought you out and all of your forums. We were especially interested in GMTNation because they know their stuff and how to fix OUR stuff, because obviously, we can't. We need the collective (get it? collective, Borg) knowledge of the great people here as well as the archives at TrailVoy to allow us to give our customers real answers when they need them. We will also absorb all of your other GM related forums because they are "or were" run by enthusiasts before you destroyed them. All other non-GM related forums are now dead and deleted from the Internet. This will only help us as the countless people searching for answers on their "other" vehicles will be lost and will see the great service that GM now provides.

We will bring those dead forums back to life with our great moderator teams or "Client Service Representatives" who will be responsive to our clients needs. They will offer fresh and consistent answers to all of their questions and will certainly make use of all that information to give it out for our own profits.

We will also have to remove from all reference to any and all parts and services that are not GM approved as only GM parts bought from our authorized dealers (not Amazon, eBay or that rock place) are good enough for your GM vehicle. Any reference to any aftermarket parts will result in an instant ban. Even mentioning anything not GM related will result in a ban.

Say goodbye to VS and say Hello to the dawn of a new age of great forum levity and banter without all that post whorring and useless games and such. We have no use for them.

GM CEO Garth Nader

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Ha, the only thing I've ever seen any corporate shill from any manufacturer is "We're sorry, go take it to your dealer."

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Ha, the only thing I've ever seen any corporate shill from any manufacturer is "We're sorry, go take it to your dealer."

I wouldn't doubt that when you'd see those 'please contact me at schlub@gm.com' or some such, and the customer did, they'd then reply with the name / address of their closest Chevy dealer, with a "we've made an appt for you here so that you can get your issue resolved" ":Banghead:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Man I loved that post. Been a while but still funny.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online