SOLVED! Gm mdi driver install help please

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
I recently purchased the gm mdi clone and I am having a he'll of a time installing. I can't find a good How to instruction. And what software I need. I currently am using gm mdi manager and then loading tech2win. I cannot get the driver installed using manager. Off days power up and then connect . I don't havecanyvwsy to power up. I have read othersvarebuing VM wsrar. Please help.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation....

(1) Download and Save the Linked Video.
(2) Download and Install VideoLan (VLC) or a similar Good Media Player.
(3) Play Back the Video at 1/2 Speed as a means to study this Visual Walk-Through Instructional.
(4) PM @southsidesmoka for additional help with VMWare Installation for TIS2WEB.

PS...

Some of the Typos in your First Message are very confusing. If possible add that information to your next response to ungarble what you wanted to say. :>)

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
Sorry about garbled post I am at work and was in a hurry. Auto correct doesn't help either. Thanks so much for replying I will let you know how it goes when I get home.

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
One more thing. The video is titled gds2. It's the same install for the gds. 1? I plan to use it on a 03 gmc envoy.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
When time permits and you get the chance to watch that Video... you'll know how much of what is covered applies in your situation. This suggestion in Post #2 was meant to whet your appetite for using Youtube to discover the complicated steps necessary to follow during the installation and use of ALL the software involved. If you key in " gm nao mdi tech2win" on Youtube using other similar search strings... there will probably be many more Videos coming up that might be closer to the mark.

As a "Visual Learner" (and sadly... as a pedantic sort of person when it comes to actually writing out long-winded and complicated "How To Dos"...) I find that Youtube really helps to Boil Down all of these 'Step-By-Steps' so much better for explanations demanding repetitive practice with new and complex procedures. @southsidesmoka has deep knowledge of the issues involved and may be able to point you to more PDF-like Written Instructions as well.

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
I have been researching for a few days now and no 2 ways are the same ... And itveould be nice if there was a depository for all files needed. Case in point the video you linked has him messing with a file named driver.exe and such. Thanks for your help I will figure this out.

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
One BIG thing that you've not mentioned, is exactly what hardware and OS you're working with.
I pulled my hair out (what little is left) battling this for a few weeks.

Your best bet is to start with a plain vanilla install of something like XP Home, 32 bit edition. Running in VMWare or Virtualbox. Then if you do something and it doesn't work or botches the install, doing a rollback to a known point in time is a million times easier.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
I think I have it figured out. I am using fresh install win 7, I got it to recognize the mdi. Now all I have to do is find easy way to allow o.s. to install unsigned drivers.thx 4 help.i read one of your posts to get me started.

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Hopefully you're using the 32 bit edition of Win7. It supports 32 & 16 bit drivers.
If you're using the 64 bit version, it only supports 64 & 32 bit drivers.

See where I'm going with this I'm sure.... these older devices mostly only have 16 bit drivers written for them.

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
I'm still working on it. I had the computer recognizing the mdi but not using the latest mdi manager. Are you using the the mdi or that other smaller scanner. I think read one of your posts and there was a whole different approach. Inappreciate the help you guys are giving me.i may have to find a 32 bit ver. Of 7 and try that. Which mdi manager version are you using and version of tech 2 win?

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
Thanks to a few members on here, I can finally say i Have this thing working. I have the GM MDI running on windows 10 and tech 2 win running as well. Pretty sweet set up. I had to update software and firmware for the MDI but it walked me thru it. Now to get to studying this thing to see what it can do.

Reactions: xavierny25

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Sure... Give this one from "The Goat Rope Channel" over on YouTube a try:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher