GM extends warranty on vehicles in headlight failure probe

Redbeard

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
I'm unsure where this should be posted...feel free to relocate, thanks.

GM extends warranty on vehicles in headlight failure probe

Last Updated: Thursday, May 11, 2017

DETROIT --
(AP) General Motors is extending the warranty on thousands of older cars and SUVs after the U.S. government began investigating complaints that the headlights can suddenly go dark.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration started the probe last month after getting 128 complaints about low-beam headlight failures. The investigation could lead to expansion of previous recalls.

GM notified dealers Tuesday that it would guarantee headlight control modules for 12 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. The module can fail when exposed to engine heat.

GM says it's cooperating with the investigation. Vehicles getting the added warranty include certain 2006 to 2009 Chevrolet Trailblazers and GMC Envoys; the 2006 Buick Rainier, GMC Envoy XL, Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT; the 2006 and 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix; and the 2006 to 2008 Buick LaCrosse.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...y_on_vehicles_in_headlight_failure_probe.html

Reactions: Capote

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's probably for failing "relays" that we keep hearing about. So it's engine heat that kills them?

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
12 yrs/150,000 miles? Why bother? The majority of gmt360's are over on one or the other or both...

Basically covering '05-09 how many are left with less than 150,000 on them? 10-20%?

Nice gesture I guess... over a $25 relay that prob costs them $2

Yep when I read the Title I thought it was about the new GMT 800's, guess not, I will post that in another thread if it hasn't been posted yet

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
12 yrs/150,000 miles? Why bother? The majority of gmt360's are over on one or the other or both...

Basically covering '05-09 how many are left with less than 150,000 on them? 10-20%?

Nice gesture I guess... over a $25 relay that prob costs them $2

True, but it saves GM yet another multi-million dollar law suit because they "offered to fix the problem" on vehicles that met/meet the requirements. They know there aren't too many of them on the road nowadays that fit into that criteria anymore. If they wait long enough, they don't have to worry about fixing too many faulty vehicles.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It is also probably because anything older either simply won't fail (mine never did), or it likely already already did and was replaced already.

There's still plenty of of 05-09 models with under 150k miles left out there. I should let my coworker know, she has an 07 with only a little over 100k miles on it (recently replaced her old 07 that had 260k on it, never had a relay failure either FWIW).

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

CajunWon

Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
I did get this, headlight off, issue fixed under the extended warranty.
The issue has returned! Off just for 1 second, then back on.
AFAIK they simply replaced the relay. Hopefully, when I get around to it, an Autozone relay will last longer than oem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online