GM Designing a 3.6L Twin Turbo V6

drwfaulk

Jan 5, 2012
Awesome!! it would be nice if it was in the new tbss.

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
That's a pretty sick concept!

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
I'll be excited when/if this comes out and if the exhaust manis fit a 3400 LA1, lol.

Guess I should learn Megasquirt in the meantime...

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
That would make a great engine for a Fiero. :undecided:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I know there is more tweaking involved but take the Caddy 3.6 V6, whack two honking turbos on it, job done.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
A friend has a twin turbo V6 in a pickup from another manufacturer and it performs very well even when towing his honkin' travel trailer. I love the concept though have a little concern about the long term life of the turbos.

I absolutely figured GM wouldn't be far behind in development.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Hopefully this time they will get the timing chain and camshafts right
qzom15.gif

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IMHO, if it doesn't have a V8, it shouldn't say SS.
Like the HHR SS. :no:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Thats a sweet little engine butttt if the SS were to be re-produced it deserves the new 5.5L direct injection vette engine, but with this smaller TB in the midst probably wont happen thats like a 5.5 in a slightly biger escape

Chevrolet Corvette C7 to feature 5.5L V8

NighTblazer

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
A crate option would be nice I have a Camaro with the 3.8 pushing 200Hp stock. This would be a nice up grade. Twice the power and good MPH! of course the TB would need one too! :thumbsup:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Hmmm, since Ill be waiting 2-3 years before I can afford to build an engine for my SS, have to see what the Gen V SBCs offer (besides the obvious DI). A new ECM has to be in store as well, only way to run the DI stuff. Wonder if retrofit kits will be around, can you say 5.5L DI V8 stroked to 6-6.2L with a Maggie on it? Talk about an easy 600awhp!:biggrin:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Isnt the 3.6 TT already on the market in the Saab 94x Aero?

Edit: Nevermind. Its a 2.8 Turbo thats slower than the 3.6 DI

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
I can't wait for the 5.5L rumor to die. GM's Generation 5 V8 will retain most of the sizes its in now, feature DI, VVT, VCM, and unfortunately AFM. It's supposed to be the baddest American V8 out there, and the next Corvette will be the first to receive it, along with the trucks. It's going to be the smoothest, most efficient, and most powerful production V8 ever. The next CTS-V, ZL1, ZR1, and XLR (Caddy is bringing that back) will most likely be over 700 HP...

Regarding the Twin Turbo V6, it will come in two sizes, in 3.0TT form (codenamed LF3), and the newly announced 3.6TT (not sure of codename). Look for the 3.0TT to be used in the new Impala, Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac XTS, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Cadillac CTS, and the upcoming Cadillac flagship. The 3.6TT will most likely see Silverado/Sierra, Cadillac ATS-V, and the Cadillac flagship. Of the two TTV6's, all of my GM sources have told me the 3.6TT is the motor to get. Rumor has it that the 3.0TT has had major problems, and that's why the 3.6TT has been developed alongside with it. The 3.0TT was supposed to be a 3.0T, and a higher output 3.0TT, but since its problem plagued, they had to lower the boost on the 3.0TT and develop a 3.6TT to take the higher boost 3.0TT's place.

The HP wars are going to get very interesting within the next few years, especially considering that Ford is debuting their 2nd generation EcoBoost engine in a few years, and Mopar is reportedly getting a 3.6TT ready as well...

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Do you know if these 3.0L & 3.6L engines are clean sheet designs or derived from the 3.4L V6?

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
Mark20 said:
Do you know if these 3.0L & 3.6L engines are clean sheet designs or derived from the 3.4L V6?

Clean sheet designs. I also forgot to mention that the next generation CTS will get a Generation II 3.6L V6, and not the current one. The new V6 is going to be very impressive from what I've heard...

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Why are you concerned over the 5.5L displacement rumors? I spent an hour or so looking through threads/posts/sites the other day and all of them said its going to be a 5.5L displacement and NOT a current 5.3/6.0/6.2/7.0...

VCM = Variable Cam M....? GM already has it on some Gen IV V8s, not really publicized though.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:

The SAAB 94x engine was originally built for the Caddy but only a few made it into production in the caddy before the 3.6 that seems to be in every GM these days replaced it. If you watch the UK Top Gear, they have lots of turbo 'petrol' engines and of course 75mpg diesels with and without turbo as well. I think there are going to be many more turbo or super charged engines coming on line here in the U.S. My 1997 Bonneville SSEi I had for several years had the 3.8 liter series 2, Supercharged Engine, the same as the Impala SS before it got a 5.3 v8 and it pulled as hard as anything i've driven including both my 5.3 liter 360's but got good mileage for such a heavy car. It was a crazy sleaper. A friend of mine who is let's say mature (light foot) has a new f150 with the eco boost and it still gets awful mileage in the real world no better than many v8's if that's a feature someone cares about. The supercharger in my Bonneville needed the standard tune up at 99,000 miles so was trouble free for all of my ownership since I sold it right at 99,000 miles. I wonder if the new turbo's on the ecoboost will be as reliable.

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Why are you concerned over the 5.5L displacement rumors? I spent an hour or so looking through threads/posts/sites the other day and all of them said its going to be a 5.5L displacement and NOT a current 5.3/6.0/6.2/7.0...

VCM = Variable Cam M....? GM already has it on some Gen IV V8s, not really publicized though.

The 5.5L won't happen. That specific displacement is a very expensively derived displacement for Corvette racing only. I know magazines are reporting a 5.5L is going to happen, but believe me, it's not. The current V8 displacement is a go. Don't buy into that rumor. Been confirmed on GM Inside News many times as well.

Ooops, sorry, I meant VCT, or variable cam timing. My mistake.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
TollKeeper said:

It doesn't really matter if it is or isn't, because only 457 have been built, and no more will ever be built.

Dec 16, 2011
Jkust said:
The SAAB 94x engine was originally built for the Caddy but only a few made it into production in the caddy before the 3.6 that seems to be in every GM these days replaced it. If you watch the UK Top Gear, they have lots of turbo 'petrol' engines and of course 75mpg diesels with and without turbo as well. I think there are going to be many more turbo or super charged engines coming on line here in the U.S. My 1997 Bonneville SSEi I had for several years had the 3.8 liter series 2, Supercharged Engine, the same as the Impala SS before it got a 5.3 v8 and it pulled as hard as anything i've driven including both my 5.3 liter 360's but got good mileage for such a heavy car. It was a crazy sleaper. A friend of mine who is let's say mature (light foot) has a new f150 with the eco boost and it still gets awful mileage in the real world no better than many v8's if that's a feature someone cares about. The supercharger in my Bonneville needed the standard tune up at 99,000 miles so was trouble free for all of my ownership since I sold it right at 99,000 miles. I wonder if the new turbo's on the ecoboost will be as reliable.

They're Ford turbos, so let me please assure you, because I deal with this issue every day, that the answer is no. Nothing, but nothing, can reinforce GM loyalty more effectively than dealing with PO'd Ford customers.

And yes, the blown 3.8 Series II was glorious, even more so in the Grand Prix, a much lighter car.

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
UMEXT said:
And yes, the blown 3.8 Series II was glorious, even more so in the Grand Prix, a much lighter car.

Meh... the 3.8SC V6 never really impressed me. I'd take the 3.6L V6 over it any day of the week.

Dec 16, 2011
Envoy4Life said:
Meh... the 3.8SC V6 never really impressed me. I'd take the 3.6L V6 over it any day of the week.

Having driven an Aura XR, I would say exactly the opposite. Maybe it's because I could afford an $8K car and not a $30K one.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The 3.8 was probly one of the top 4 6 cylinder engines ever made. Once you got the prone intake gasket leak fixed, they are nearly indestructable.

Top four American built 6 cylinder engines..

60* V6 GM Built (2.8,3.1,3.4,3.5,3.6,3.9)
90* V6 GM Built (3.8 Exclusively, the 3.0 and 3.3/3300 was also a 90* engine, but not as reliable)
4.0 Jeep
4.3 GM

Dont know enough about the 4.2 engine to include it.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Envoy4Life said:

5267520754_large.jpg

This started as a 3.8SC....

The owner runs (or ran... Haven't heard anything current in the last couple years) 11.5's consistently.... And it's a daily driver.

Reactions: Kurb

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Wow... Look at that downpipe..

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
UMEXT said:
Having driven an Aura XR, I would say exactly the opposite. Maybe it's because I could afford an $8K car and not a $30K one.

I own a Malibu 3.6L (XR's cousin). I'm currently bone stock. I beat stock Trailblazer SS's all the time. I ran my cousin's with a CAI and exhaust down the quarter. I lost off the line (he's AWD), but I made it up fast. He ended up running a 14.29 @ 97.1 MPH, and I ended up running a 14.37 @ 98.4 MPH.

TollKeeper said:
The 3.8 was probly one of the top 4 6 cylinder engines ever made. Once you got the prone intake gasket leak fixed, they are nearly indestructable.

Top four American built 6 cylinder engines..

60* V6 GM Built (2.8,3.1,3.4,3.5,3.6,3.9)
90* V6 GM Built (3.8 Exclusively, the 3.0 and 3.3/3300 was also a 90* engine, but not as reliable)
4.0 Jeep
4.3 GM

Dont know enough about the 4.2 engine to include it.

I'd actually replace the 60* V6 with the 4.2L. The 60* is a good engine (I like the HF DOHC), but the I6 is just better to me. The 3.8L is an excellent, bulletproof engine, but GM kept it going for waaaay to long.

kardain said:
5267520754_large.jpg

This started as a 3.8SC....

The owner runs (or ran... Haven't heard anything current in the last couple years) 11.5's consistently.... And it's a daily driver.

I'm not a 3.8SC guy. Show me a 3.8TT like the Regal Grand National, then we're talking! :biggrin:

1987-buick-regal-grand-national-front-three-quarters.jpg

TollKeeper said:
Wow... Look at that downpipe..

I thought the same thing!

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
drwfaulk said:
Awesome!! it would be nice if it was in the new tbss.

Never heard of this "NEW" TBSS. Dad works for GM and if there was one he would be on it, Havent heard anything about this....

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Envoy4Life said:
I own a Malibu 3.6L (XR's cousin). I'm currently bone stock. I beat stock Trailblazer SS's all the time. I ran my cousin's with a CAI and exhaust down the quarter. I lost off the line (he's AWD), but I made it up fast. He ended up running a 14.29 @ 97.1 MPH, and I ended up running a 14.37 @ 98.4 MPH.

Yea I doubt that unless the SS owners dont have a clue how to drive. Stock AWD ones would run circles around your buddy and you, most AWD SSs Ive seen run low 14s bone stock. As in a 14-14.2. 2WD ones are .1-.3 faster.

Sorry, but Im not buying a CAI+exhaust AWD SS ran a 14.29 unless he doesnt have a tune (in which case his CAI+exhaust are worth maybe 10hp combined). Even then, Im not sold. Have timeslips?

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Yea I doubt that unless the SS owners dont have a clue how to drive. Stock AWD ones would run circles around your buddy and you, most AWD SSs Ive seen run low 14s bone stock. As in a 14-14.2. 2WD ones are .1-.3 faster.

Sorry, but Im not buying a CAI+exhaust AWD SS ran a 14.29 unless he doesnt have a tune (in which case his CAI+exhaust are worth maybe 10hp combined). Even then, Im not sold. Have timeslips?

Well, it personally doesn't hurt my feelings whether or not you believe me. It is important to note it was very humid and hot when we ran down the strip. DOHC usually breathes better, so that may have been a big factor.

And by "running circles around me"... no. For handling, Epsilon chassis > GMT-360 by a huge margin. And if you recall on the OS, a member said his stock SS ran a 14.5 at 98 MPH.

As mentioned, he wasn't tuned, and he only had a CAI and exhaust. He took me off the line, but I made it up over time. Don't believe me? Head over to your local Chevy dealer and take a Malibu V6 for a spin.

Unfortunately, I had a video, but I had lost my camera at Milan. I never found it either. :frown:

However, here are a few youtube videos of Malibu/Aura's...

[video=youtube;cgiT70aiEKc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgiT70aiEKc[/video]

[video=youtube;F7QyQ7h0lVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7QyQ7h0lVQ[/video]

Also, here are some road test articles...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/updates/2007-saturn-aura-xr

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/updates/2008-chevrolet-malibu-ltz

Don't believe me if you'd like, but I said it like it happened.

And if the car is launched right, it can run sub 6 second 0-60's, as both the links and the video proved. The car is quick for a V6 family sedan...

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Ah, didnt mention the humidity part. Humidity kills times and our trucks are notorious for major heatsoak issues.

Yes, its a car and will outhandle most SUVs (true BOF SUVs, crossovers notsomuch haha). They're great cars, just remember you're comparing a much lighter car to a midsize BOF SUV. Believe me, I kinda wish the SS had a TT 4.2L I6 for the DOHC and VVT, that would be really a interesting matchup.

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Ah, didnt mention the humidity part. Humidity kills times and our trucks are notorious for major heatsoak issues.

Yeah, IIRC, it was about 98% relative humidity that day. It was nasty and muggy too, hahaha.

ScarabEpic22 said:
Yes, its a car and will outhandle most SUVs (true BOF SUVs, crossovers notsomuch haha). They're great cars, just remember you're comparing a much lighter car to a midsize BOF SUV. Believe me, I kinda wish the SS had a TT 4.2L I6 for the DOHC and VVT, that would be really a interesting matchup.

Depending on where you live, that could be quite the set up. To my knowledge, a turbocharged engine loses a lot less power thana N/A engine when the elevation changes. Still, GM V8's sound awesome. :cool:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Thats believable my stock 0-40 was beast but once that second gear hits the truck kinda lags.

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
Thats believable my stock 0-40 was beast but once that second gear hits the truck kinda lags.

Indeed. From my personal experience driving the TrailBlazer SS, they seem to do better from a roll.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well, my only RIDE in a trailblazer SS was one of elation, and almost a sexual pleasure!! :eek::lipsrsealed::blush:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Well, my only RIDE in a trailblazer SS was one of elation, and almost a sexual pleasure!! :eek::lipsrsealed::blush:

Don't know what your talking about I obey all speed limits. Haha

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:

You musta never had a track day in a Z06! :biggrin:

STLtrailbSS said:
Don't know what your talking about I obey all speed limits. Haha

:raspberry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online