GM begins offering AFM-less Full-Size Pick Ups (you get paid too!)

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
With the micro-chip shortage, GM is offering AFM-less V8s! And you get $50! That's almost enough for a full tank. :biggrin:

At this point, they may as well omit AFM entirely if its really only going to cause 1 MPG drop with it being removed.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I wonder if it's just a ploy? I can't see the AFM system itself requiring more chips since it's mostly mechanical and solenoids. Maybe going to a different ECU that uses less chips? In any case, it's a much hated system that people get tuned out as soon as it's out of warranty. 1 MPG isn't even worth the trouble and effort.

Reactions: northcreek

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
I wonder if it's just a ploy? I can't see the AFM system itself requiring more chips since it's mostly mechanical and solenoids. Maybe going to a different ECU that uses less chips? In any case, it's a much hated system that people get tuned out as soon as it's out of warranty. 1 MPG isn't even worth the trouble and effort.
That's what I'm wondering, maybe a more simple PCM system for controlling everything else. It's definitely going to make the 21 models the more odd-ball ones if there is an actual difference with the PCM/BCM. Though I'm not sure how different the AFM (now called DFM) system is on the 19+ models, since they re-designed it to shut off more then just 4 cylinders.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Apparently, they retained AFM, and *added* Dynamic Fuel Mgmt (DFM). So a truck can still shut down 4 cylinders at once (and only 4), like they always did. But I don't think the trucks have *both*, from what I understand.

I also read a few days ago (same source, different article) that for MY22, the 4.3 V6 *and* the 5.3L are going bye-bye. You'll have a choice of the turbo 4-banger, or the 6.2L V8, with nothing in between. (there's actually a link near the bottom of the one up in post #1, detailing this).

Here's a listing of what's going to keep / drop either of the multi-displacement systems for the remainder of '21. I'd say that if someone was in the market for a new truck, and knowing the upcoming changes, that it might be good to get a recent-build '21...

1616035418272.png

And here's the same for the Sierra... a few more trim levels, but still the same two LT (Gen 5) engines...

(I notice there's no 'Work Truck' trim any longer on the Sierra? Or is that the base 'Sierra', below?) I guess they figured if you were in the market for a W/T, you'd be fine with a Silvy, vs paying extra for the GMC badges - ?

1616035626585.png
1616035663047.png

AFAIK, the 2500 / 3500 series are unaffected for the balance of this model year, wrt the multiple-displacement software. (lower volume & heavier trucks; GM picked these trucks to maintain whatever systems they have).

And... all of the 1500s that are skipping the AFM / DFM still will have the h/w installed (so if you're worried about AFM lifters going south, you still might be interested in a h/w delete kit, after warranty expires -?).

I'm not versed enough on the DFM to know what hardware / software goes into that, or how it's controlled... only that it can deactivate any combination of any of the 8 cylinders... down to running the truck on *one*, under certain conditions. And it's prolly too new to know what might be an issue(s) with it, too.

A lot of people think: "Gee, it's only 1mpg... why put it in?"
500,000 copies of these trucks / yr, every one counting against CAFE... that's why they put it in.

1mpg might not sound like a lot to us, but to an automaker... it's the difference between making CAFE, or having to buy / borrow credits (or pay $55 for each vehicle for each 1mpg under, if they can't buy / borrow -- $5.50 per 1/10th gal mpg miss... which was actually reduced in 2019 from $14 per tenth, established in 2016 -- or, $140 per 1mpg).
Or, from an employee's standpoint, it's the difference between YE bonuses or YE layoffs.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online