NEED HELP Getting the catalytic converter assembly out

HizAndHerz

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
I was under the Saab for 4 hours trying to get the cats out to no avail. The transmission crossmember is out and the exhaust pipe and muffler are pushed aside. The catalytic assembly is just dangling up in there and won't come out. It's like a puzzle. I've done it before -- took me a couple of hours of finagling it but I can't for the life of me remember how it came out.

Can anyone describe the steps to get the cats out?
Thanks,
Jorns

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
With a sawzall :tongue:

Reactions: Redbeard and Matt

HizAndHerz

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
With a sawzall :tongue:

Yep, that's the prudent solution, but I won't be able to figure out the puzzle of getting the new one in unless I find the key to getting the old one out.

Ok, I'm sore and tired. I'll try the sawzall :smile:

Thanks,
Jorns

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just working from my fuzzy memory, is the rack and pinion crossmember possibly.in thhe way? May have to drop that too.

HizAndHerz

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Just working from my fuzzy memory, is the rack and pinion crossmember possibly.in thhe way? May have to drop that too.

Good point, although the FSM doesn't mention taking out the steering crossmember and I know I didn't take it out last time I had the cats out.

It's irrelevant for me now. I cut it out in a couple of minutes. New converters are bolted in.

The new converters look like toys compared the the factory cats. $350 from RockAuto. I read bad reviews of Eastern cats so I went with the Walker brand. I'm hoping for the best and that I can get the Saab back on the road after it being down for almost a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

HizAndHerz

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Yep. We have inspections and emissions tests. No codes after 3 days of driving. I am hoping to get it inspected tomorrow.
"WALKER 16671 Catalytic Converter" from rockauto.com did the trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online