Getting Bjs and sway links..

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Gonna be tackling my lower bjs hopefully Friday if it isn't raining too much. Got them from rock auto... Great price, both bjs and sway links for $63 shipped. Rented a master bj press kit ($267 deposit). Anything special I should be aware of when doing these?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They suck!

I literally drilled relief holes in them both times to remove them.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Right into the ball joint from the top. I could not get it to press out until I did.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
disappointed from title of thread...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's the monthly BJ giggle-fest all over again.

552966481.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The top one...No. The CV needs to be out of the way to get to the lower, but I leave the inner side attached.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
HARDTRAILZ said:
The top one...No. The CV needs to be out of the way to get to the lower, but I leave the inner side attached.
Glad I thought of that ahead of time... needed an axle nut socket, i don't have much bigger then 32mm in my box...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Grab a 36. Works on factory and aftermarket axle nuts.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
That's what I picked up... Gonna be working in the rain....yay... Gonna gave to set up a tarp...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
First time I did mine it was 20 degrees and snowing at night, but I needed the front end all fixed for an alignment before a 1000 mile trip. Sucked, but felt nice once accomplished.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Mounce and BHAMER

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Got one side done in under 2 hrs... just have to tighten everything up and put the wheel back on... grease the bj... then on to the other side....

on a side note, one thing I did not know is that i have to separate upper bj from the control arm in order to tilt the spindle enough to get the lower out... that I was not counting on ...damn thing is heavy. The actual removal of the bj was very easy... (air tools are awesome for this... air chisel for the win!)...

Reactions: Mounce

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
second side done... what a pain.... the semi good side (passenger) was the hardest... it just would not come free. tried heating with a propane torch (doesn't help.. not hot enough)... tried drilling relief holes (broke 2 bits in the process)... and what finally made it come out was smashing the hell out of it with a 5lb sledge while the press was on it... (i was swinging as hard as I could within the wheel well.)... I used the sledge technique on the drivers side and it didn't take nearly that much force to pop it out... anyway... it's done, should be good for another 80k... hopefully.. the drenching rain sucked. possibly tomorrow will be rear pinion seal, and front pinion seal next week...

Reactions: Mounce

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
coolasice said:
second side done... what a pain.... the semi good side (passenger) was the hardest... it just would not come free. tried heating with a propane torch (doesn't help.. not hot enough)... tried drilling relief holes (broke 2 bits in the process)... and what finally made it come out was smashing the hell out of it with a 5lb sledge while the press was on it... (i was swinging as hard as I could within the wheel well.)... I used the sledge technique on the drivers side and it didn't take nearly that much force to pop it out... anyway... it's done, should be good for another 80k... hopefully.. the drenching rain sucked. possibly tomorrow will be rear pinion seal, and front pinion seal next week...
Next time use MAPP gas not propane, it burns alot hotter.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
gmac310 said:
Next time use MAPP gas not propane, it burns alot hotter.
Well aware of that, but I don't have a mapp capable torch, just a cheap propane one.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
coolasice said:
Got the rear pinion seal done today, only problem I ran into was needing to fab up a yoke puller from some steel and a bolt/nut

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.