Getting "Affordable": The Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scan-Tool Kit

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
AUTELEOLDOCFORMAXIDASDS708.jpg

The operative expressions rife among most Scanner-Code-Reader Threads usually centers around "What IS an Affordable Scanner...?". None of us are immune to just how hard getting a truly manifestly POWERFUL, FULL- FEATURED SCANNER can be (with the Windows Tablet(Touch Screen) Features, WIFI, etc.) because invariably, it always comes down to Three Things: PRICE, PRICE and PRICE that moves most of these amazing devices out into that Hindered Realm of becoming "Geez... I wish I could afford one of THOSE...". Somehow though, they always seem to settle out in the $1,500 to $4,000 Range.

But as with all Technologies, in time and with a great amount of patience, we occasionally see that the Prices DO come down and hope that we can all get lucky enough to locate Complete, High Quality, Full - Featured Scan Tool Kits possessing Excellent Bi-Directional Diagnostic and Live Module Testing capabilities over on eBay.

Of course, besides handling all of the needs of our beloved GM and GMC Vehicles, being able to Accurately Diagnose other North American Makes and Models of Domestic Cars & Trucks as well as most of the European and Asian Vehicles would also be a Serious Bonus.

Well... The Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scanner is one of THOSE Types of Scan Tools in this category of being "High End" enough to cover all of those bases. If you browse around eBay via THIS Link ASAP and look at ALL of the on-topic sub-pages there, you might find something starting in the range of $250 (Scanner ONLY) and wind up with the Full Kits being in the Range of $500 to $850.

Damaged, Non-Working Units are NOT Repairable if the SD-CARD is MISSING or Un-Readable!!!:

I found this imaged Complete Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scan Tool Kit there this month (02/2022) for just under $400 and I jumped all over Making That Buy. The Un-Boxing and "Proof of Operation" images shown below will speak for themselves:

AUTELMAXIDASDS708A.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708C.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708B.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708D.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708E.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708F.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708G.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708H.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708I.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708J.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708K.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708L.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708M.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708N.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708O.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708P.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708Q.jpg

The purpose of THIS Thread though, is to create a "Scatter-Gun" sort of coverage with the use of these additional Links and Videos related to this Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scan Tool Kit and provide some additional resources that will help those among us anxious to Take The Next Step and NOT Go Broke in the process to succeed:

If you even THINK you might be getting one of these Kits... Download the Original Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Software Suite HERE… DO THIS ASAP... and if needs be, you can always install the Autel Software Suite onto your Windows Based Computer later on if the Original Factory Autel CD-DVD happens to be MISSING from your eBay Purchased Kit or Individual Scan Tool Item:

https://www.autel.com/download.jhtml

Some Additional Autel MAXI-DAS Resource Information and Use Examples:

How to Repair a Power Disconnect Problem on an Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scanner:

How to Change the Touch Screen on an Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scanner:

GM Throttle Body Re-Set for a 2007 GMC Yukon using an Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scanner:

How to Replace the PCM in a 2005 Honda Pilot using an Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708

How to Re-Program a Pair of 2012 Hyundai Ignition Keys via an Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708:

And Now... For the "NERDS" and the "NONNERDS" Alike:

Okay… Great! Now that you’ve got yourself a Professional Grade Auto Scanner in this Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Machine… But Beware! Your Very First Action should be to Create a Back-Up of the Original SD-Card stuck down inside of the Media Card Slot located in the Bottom Panel of the DS-708 Scanner. THIS may be the Real Achilles Heel in ANY System that relies entirely upon Removable, Non-Solid State Storage that WILL degrade over time.

If THAT Little Item is either Damaged or LOST… You will NOT be able to use the Machine in its present working form and in all likelihood, you’ll have to purchase an inexpensive, Blank SD Card and Go Online to the Autel Site, Register the Machine anew and then Pay for a One Year Subscription for around $500.00 in order to put things right with "The Box" once again.

There is NOTHING preventing you from setting up your own account at Autel and then Paying for their Subscription Services. However, make certain that you've carefully recorded your Legible Serial Number from the permanent label on the back side of the Unit first. Take some Blow Up images of that Serial Number as it might be very hard to make out with the Naked Eye.

To AVOID having these entanglements, the follow on procedures for doing this action ARE a BIT more complicated than merely Copy-Pasting Files from One SD Card over to Another, so let’s get started in figuring out just How To Do IT:

If you are a Linux User, Open up a Terminal and Copy-Paste THESE Dark High-Lighted Commands preceded by sudo quite literally as you find them here below and then Press the <E> Enter Key after Each One until all of these steps are completed and a Brand New Back-Up SD Card has been Created:

sudo fdisk -l

You should see something like THIS Screen appear:

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1 * 2048 2099199 2097152 1G c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 2099200 31116287 29017088 13.9G 83 Linux

In my system the SD card is ID'd as /dev/mmcblk0 (the *p1 and *p2 are the partitions).

First, you’ll have to unmount the SD Card Device before taking any actions :

sudo umount /dev/mmcblk0

Now, we need to create an *.img File as in Create a ‘Mirror Image’ of the device on the (SD-Card):

sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=~/sd-card-copy.img bs=1M status=progress

This will take a while...

Once it's finished copying these System Files from the Donor SD-Card System Files and Apps as a BIN File (*.img) onto your Hard Drive, Remove the Donor SD-Card and insert the Brand New Empty (32) Gig SD Card. If the device Location ID is different (USB or other type of SD card reader) verify its Name and Path and be sure to unmount it before proceeding:

NOTE: the Spelling of the Command 'umount' is NOT a Typo-Error of 'unmount'

sudo fdisk -l

sudo umount /dev/mmcblk0

Now... Write the Saved Image File onto the New (32) Gig SD-Card device:

sudo dd if=~/sd-card-copy.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M status=progress

The "Write Operation" taking place will be much slower than it was before.

When copying Large Amounts of Data, you should set a 'bigger than default block size' like (bs=1M) to (bs=4M), otherwise, you may have to wait for a very long time for the Data Transfer to complete after using THIS Command String:

sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=~/sd-card-copy.img bs=4M

With a Little Patience, you’ll not only have a reproduce-able Image (*.img) of your Original SD Card, but now you can SAVE that New *.img File as Reliable System Back-Up and create MORE SD Cards later on, if needs be.

When I followed these Steps, I used the Original (8) Gigabyte SD-Card as my Source Card and chose an Identical, But LARGER SIZE Formatted Card at (32) Gigabytes so as to have MORE Storage on the Card available for Extensive Data-logging, etc.

If You are a Windows User, there are some excellent Disk Management Software Suites available with similar features as those used herein (perhaps @Blckshdw can assist us here). At the completion of these tasks, place the Newly Created Back Up SD Card into the Base of the Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scanner and TEST IT OUT to ensure that the Scanner Device will Boot Up and Function Properly. Put the Original SD Card and the Newly Created *.img Files away in a Safe Place.

*Whew* Well... I Hope This Information will Help Us ALL.... MRRSM

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For anyone taking a chance on buying one of these Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scan Tools 'On-The- Cheap' as a Parts Only Purchase, bringing them back to life with THESE Parts might make getting one of them as a "Damaged & Inoperative Item" a bit more attractive.

It follows on with the idea that for any of the Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scan Tools in need of repairs, it is worth PROVING to all here at GMTN that this really CAN be done.

So even though presently, I don't require any of these items, I searched for all of them on eBay and bought one of each OEM Parts while that are still available. Each one costs around $40.00, but they are well worth the price for being able to Resurrect an Expensive and Very Useful (But DEAD) Scan Tool:

AUTELDS708VIDEOSCREEN0.jpgAUTELDS708VIDEOSCREEN1.jpgAUTELDS708VIDEOSCREEN2.jpg

Having the 'Extra-Extra' Replacement Separate Touch Screen Glass Panel as well as getting the Full Video Screen with the built-in Logic Board shown above is just some additional Insurance I wanted to have as a hedge against my own carelessness (or stupidity) should the need arise in the future for any "Fixes":

AUTELDS708TOUCHSCREEN.jpg

And in the case of the sheer size of my Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Truck, having a DLC Main Cable sporting an Extra Long 10 Foot Reach will make viewing the Autel DS-708 Scanner Screen a LOT EZR whenever I'm hovering over and around the Engine Bay after lowering the Driver's Side Window.

AUTELDS70810FTCABLE1.jpgAUTELDS70810FTCABLE2.jpgAUTELDS70810FTCABLE3.jpg

While having the Super-Strong, Blow Molded Autel Case and all of those DLC Adapters tucked away inside IS Awesome... they're not really THAT essential, now are they? MEH...?

Anyhow, eBay Sells individual Autel DLC Cable Adapters for each of the covered Foreign and Domestic Makes & Models of Vehicles that Autel can manage, should any of their Network Ports NOT conform with the typical GM 16 Pin DLC Connector Pin Pattern.

Reactions: Beacon

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
How to Register and Set Up the Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scan Tool with The Autel Company:

Caveat Emptor:

Be careful when Re-Registering this Autel Product in your Own Name under a New Account with Autel, Inc. as it MAY Wipe out the prior Owner's Account and require a Payment from you for a Yearly Subscription. So if you have tried out the Scan Tool on our OWN Vehicle and it seems updated enough to handle your particular needs, perhaps you can avoid doing what follows. Otherwise, be careful what you agree to during this transition from the Original Owner to yourself.
YOU will be responsible for any actions you commit to doing when setting up your own account with Autel, Inc.

For those who luck out and wind up getting this Autel Scan Tool Kit… be aware that the PRIOR OWNER of whatever you are buying will have had to Register the Device with the Autel Company in order to get beyond the initial stages of the Base Software installed and be able to receive the various Vehicle Update Information.

So if you get a “Well Used” one that has had the Serial Number eroded from the underside Plastic Product Label, DO NOT DESPAIR.
Once this Machine is “Fired Up”, by selecting the “Set Up” Icon from the Desktop Options... Click on the “About” Feature Button and the Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 System Version, Product Serial Number and Numeric Registration Password will appear inside of a centered Dark Gray Box on screen as shown in the Screen Prints below:

AUTELVEHUPDATE1.jpgAUTELVEHUPDATE3.jpg
AUTELVEHUPDATE3.jpg

Please Note that for the sake of the Prior Owner’s Privacy (and my “Own” as the New “Owner”) I have blanked out the critical data on all of these images in “Sky Blue” Rectangles. When doing this on your own Autel Scan Tool, you should document and preserve a Hard Copy of this Information...You WILL need to have it handy by and by...

Now you can see that if should you wind up getting a Unit that Does NOT present you with the Unit Serial Number on the Outside Label Underside, you'll STILL be able to gather and record for posterity all the critical information you’ll eventually need if you intend upon keeping the Machine Up-To-Date and establishing a very necessary relationship with the 'Autel Home Base'.

As you can see from the Dimmed out images of the “GM and “FORD” Vehicle Manufacturer Types from the long list of others further down on the list, as the Wireless DS-708 Update Procedures went along, they were updated successfully.

To perform this job for ALL Vehicle Types can take HOURS, so be prepared to do this perhaps only once a month if the Unit is either Mobile or in your Garage and getting frequent use.

And as for being “Mobile”, the Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scan Tool does NOT have any Internal Battery Power and requires either a +B & (-) Battery hook up device with an external cable or it can get its power through the DLC via the Autel DLC to Unit Cable.

My system came with an Autel Factory 120 VAC to Variable DC Converter device for Desk Top Use and this is what I used initially to set up the Device on my Home WI-FI and to seamlessly perform the aforesaid Software and Files Updates.

I should mention that to my very great surprise, the Original Owner still had an Active Autel User-Owners Account, such that as soon as I clicked on the Update Feature Button (that will be well explained in this linked Autel Owners Registration Instructional Video…)

The DS-708 automatically went to the Autel Home Site and began downloading and installing whatever was outstanding in their “hopper”. That’s Pretty Cool… Huh?

I’m also recommending that you consider asking these Questions of the eBay Vendors selling any Used Autel Equipment so you won’t get “Caught From Ambush” and wind up buying something that you cannot get to work by modest repairs or by expected interfacing with the online software updates, if needs be:

(1) “Will the System Software SD-Card come with this Device?”

(2) “Does the Touch Screen” Operate Okay?”

(3) “Is the Stainless Steel Screen Stylus still with this Machine?”

(4) “Does the Machine Boot Up to a Working Screen?”

(5) “Are the Power Adapter & Cords as well as the DLC Cable included?” (BOTH Items can be purchased later on eBay).

Good Luck Finding and Getting The Right Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708!

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Just an FYI...

The Service Year Ceiling for THIS Scan Tool for the final installation updates of the GM Data Package is the Year 2014 as Autel's End-Of-Support for this particular Product Line.

However, many of us still do not own Later Model GM and GMC Vehicles, so this should become no impediment for using this Device and Kit components to service earlier Makes and Models of GM and GMC Products.

I have not as yet investigated other Makes-Models-Brands to determine their End-Of-Support limitations match the EOL Year as being 2014. The links below include access to the Autel Factory Manual PDF for the MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scan Tool:

https://www.autel.com/autelcms/u/cms/www/201409/04064235azk8.pdf

http://autel.com.au/files/MaxiDAS-DS708-user-manual.pdf

https://www.obdii365.com/upload/pro/autel-maxidas-ds708-user-manual-obd365.pdf

http://www.autelscanner.org/category/autel-maxidas-ds708-update/

The Autel MAXI_DAS DS-708 Revealed

Introduction:

Updating:

Datalogging:

Remote Access:

Wireless Printing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lca9Hx0J5Q

How to Update the Smart Drive Card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFgnrrhFuH0

Attachments

• MaxiDAS-DS708-user-manual.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Brian from "Briansmobile1" YT Channel from back in 2014 makes the MOST EXTREME CASE for getting and using his Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 by Scanning a "GRAY MARKET" 1996 Beemer and fixing an otherwise intractable issue in a way that is kind of interesting ...AND Incredible.

And since I am just now 'dipping my toe' into the Deep, Diagnostic Waters of this High Feature Scanner, watching him also explain some other even more cool aspects of this device was a nice surprise, too:

This is Mike (The Disgruntled Mechanic) getting involved with two GM related videos dating back to 2015. HE is going to MAKE A LIAR OUT OF ME ABOUT THE EOL DATE for the Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 being 2014...(perhaps it has an EOL of 2017?

This Experienced Irish Diagnostician-Mechanic and Electrical Expert shows us How to GRAPHICALLY Test O2 and MAP Sensors using the Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708:

More to Follow...

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In Post #47 over in the “Additional Tech 2 Resources” Thread… I covered the situation for using an OTC SPX Tech 2 to easily re-program a persistent ABS Dashboard Lamp on a 2005 Pontiac Grand AM.

The underlying problem was that the Grand AM does NOT have the ABS Feature. It follows that by using the Tech 2 and going through the “Add A New BCM “ Set Up Procedures. it became possible to to Modify the ABS Selection Choices and eliminate the ABS Light.

That action begins unfolding in this Video at around 19:20 onward:

But the Question raised by the successful use of the GM Factory Tech 2 became:

Can MODERN Professional Diagnostic Scanners do this Older BCM re-programming function as well?

Again, from around 24.30 into this same video… “Crazy Ivan” from PHAD (Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics) first hooks up an Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 (and later a different Later Model Autel Scanner) to this 2005 Pontiac Grand AM and By God, they both support the same features for re-programming the BCM in the same manner when using the OTC SPX (or "GYMKO") Tech 2 Scan Tools.

However, when Ivan tried to perform the very same functions using the supposed MORE MODERN Launch Model X431-PAD Scan ToolIT was NOT capable of doing this Job.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=launch+x...ix=launch+x,aps,138&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_8

So the Moral of the Story is…

NEVER Underestimate the Powers of Older Autel Scan Tools for solving problems on Older GM and MANY other Contemporary Makes & Models of Cars and Trucks when the Brand New Scan Tools MAY Fail to do so! :>)

Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708… FTW!

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
As promised... The New Autel Complete Back-Lit Monitor & Touch Screen Combo (around $40.00 on eBay from MANY Vendors) arrived this evening. I'll install it in a little while. There really is nothing wrong with the one that is presently inside of the Autel Scan Tool. But at my Age... I Like My Eating Dessert --> FIRST... in all aspects of Life.

Also, in the same way that I try hard to 'Put My Money Where my Mouth Is..." whenever either 'Recommending' Items that SUCCEED or 'Shining On' the items that FAIL in these discussions, I think it is very important to have REAL, Hands-On Experiences before explaining what they can or cannot do.

I wanted the chance to prove that if you wind up getting one of these Kool-Scan-Tools (that may or may not have any Defects in either the Backlit Screen or with a 'care-worn' Touch Screen) that BOTH items can be R&R'd in this Autel Scan Box and make things "Work Pretty" all over again. :>)

AUTELNEWTOUCHSCREEN1.jpgAUTELNEWTOUCHSCREEN2.jpgAUTELNEWTOUCHSCREEN3.jpgAUTELNEWTOUCHSCREEN4.jpgAUTELNEWTOUCHSCREEN5.jpg

Since nothing "Exotic & Electronic" is necessary for this type of Repair or Replace, I'll be using the similar "How To" Steps and Tools Used shown in these two Videos to affect the Screen Swap:

Once I have it all back together, I'll do a Boot Up and after checking things out, I'll Post up some Still Images of the various Screen Tab Shots to compare with what I posted up in Post #1. I really like these Professional Scan Tool Devices and I hope that more of us can get at them as Complete Autel Kits whenever they become available... and especially ...for Not TOO Much Money. :>)

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Be advised that in January of 2017, The Autel Corporation informed their Customers that as of December 31st of 2017, the Autel MAXIDAS DS-708 would NO LONGER HAVE ANY ONLINE SUPPORT and to Back Up Their Files. This is a Screen Print of THAT Declaration:

AUTELEOLDOCFORMAXIDASDS708.jpg

Please consider these "Year EOL Date Limitations" into your decision calculus to Buy a Used Autel MAXIDAS DS-708 Scan Tool (Kit), as the 2017 EOL (End Of Life) may prevent this Device from being able to perform many OEM Bi-Directional Vehicle Diagnostics on Cars, Trucks and SUVs Manufactured AFTER December 31st, 2017.

In addition to the "Big Three" in the United States (GM, Chrysler and Ford) perhaps as many as 50+ other Asian, European and Chinese Makes and Models of various Cars and Trucks were likewise affected from accepting Bi-Directional CAN-Bus Diagnostics Commands due to changes in their Post-2017 PCM Programming.

Nonetheless... The Autel MAXIDAS DS-708 Scan Tool can STILL behave like any other Ordinary Scan Tool and READ CAN-Bus supported OBD2 Data from the various vehicles manufactured AFTER 2017 via the use of a variety of the Autel Kit OBD2 Port Adapters.

This EOL Date of December 31st, 2017 Did NOT create any limitations of having the Scan Tool remaining Operative after 2017, as long as the SD-Card Software and Vehicle Data Files were Updated JUST PRIOR to the shut down of the On-Line Autel Updating Support.

On the contrary... Just as with the "GYMKO" Tech 2 Scan Tool for our Legacy Chevrolet and GMC Vehicles ... The Autel MAXIDAS DS-708 Scan Tool Kit will also remain VERY Useful for Excellent Bi-Directional Diagnostics for many years to come for as many as 50+ Makes and Models of Vehicles Manufactured between 1996 to 2017:

Last edited:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
VERY useful information. Thanks!

I did some research and the DS708 repair parts are a bit pricey in Canada. But a brand new DS808 (which I believe replaces the 708) is actually a pretty reasonable price. (Under $800U.S.)

I am actually thinking of selling my Gymko Tech 2 and getting a current Autel. Your views?

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Just as recommended by Keith DeFazio from "New Level Auto"... in many of the visuals of his Repair Shop in Staten Island, New York.. (also... The Home City of @xavierny25 ) ...You can see rows and rows of various Blow-Molded Cases holding an amazing array of Different Professional Grade Scan Tools. His position is basically THIS:

"One Scan Tool may be BETTER in some situations than another. Having a selection of Scan Tools allows me to fit the best one for each situation."

Another angle to consider is THIS:

"When it comes to Scan Tools... If you are going to Stroll through the Tall Corn WITH The Big Dogs... You WILL Need the Professional Grade Scanners to do so."

CAVEAT EMPTOR... Buyer Beware!

I agree with this premise by suggesting that you KEEP your "GYMKO" Tech 2 AND definitely consider getting the follow on Autel Model DS808 Scan Tool. The ONE Thing you should be aware of is that, while the DS-708 was "All Inclusive" of the Vehicles it could manage... the NEWER Autel Model DS-808 has Various Performance Tiers or "sub-levels" in its design. So be VERY careful to get the One that has the MOST Features and 'reach' for as many vehicles as possible... in particular... Key Coding.

Once you gain access to their On-Line Autel Web File Server... Download EVERY Make and Model onto your 32 Gig SD Card.
..and then create and save an *.img file for Emergency Restorations. With the present world conflict in full swing...one never knows when or where a Denial Of Service (DOS) attack will strike.

I'm glad you appreciate this subject matter and soon, I'll add a PDF that has an enormous listing of PDF and Video Links to this Thread to create a "Research Short-Cut" for any and all interested parties.

Last edited:
Reactions: xavierny25

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In the Charles Dickens Fiction Novel, "A Tale of Two Cities"...Chapter 1 begins with...

"It Was The Best of Times... It Was The Worst Of Times..."

In this situation... The same must be said of "The Autel Twins" displayed for your consideration below. The one on the Right Side in all of these images Works swimmingly well and Perfectly Fulfills ALL of its Duties quite nicely for what I paid for it.

But the one on The Left Side ($120.00 via eBay) is quite another "Tale of Two Autels" entirely. This is because in the absence of the Assigned SD-Card, Autel Locks Up The Logic Board inside of it using a small set of code embedded as a Windows CE APP burned onto some ROM Chips.

So this "Thing" only came alive for the Original Owner while he was using this Assigned SD Card in conjunction with immutable Set Up Software coming from with the Factory Autel CD "Way Back When..." Unfortunately... That SD Card has Long Since Gone Bye Bye... and so this Device becomes "A Brick".

So with that reality understood, just know that You Need to Do your Due Diligence whenever considering Buying a Used Autel MAXIDAS DS-708 Scan Tool. If you Don't See the "Working Screens" as shown on "The Twin That WORKS" on the Right Side of the images below right along with other information that the Device you want actually Boots and Loads the Programs from the proper SD-Card... Then...

LEAVE THAT ONE ALONE.

The one on the Left in all of these these images will never be anything more than a "Parts Brick" for its Twin Brother, should the need ever arise in the future for using any salvageable parts off of it... or inside of it. I decided to obtain THIS Second DS-708 as an experiment to see if I could revive it. As you can see... It doesn't 'WORK' that way:

AUTELTWINS1.jpgAUTELTWINS2.jpgAUTELTWINS3.jpegAUTELTWINS4.jpegAUTELTWINS5.jpegAUTELTWINS6.jpegAUTELTWINS7.jpegAUTELTWINS8.jpegAUTELTWINS9.jpegAUTELTWINS10.jpegAUTELTWINS12.jpegAUTELTWINS14.jpegAUTELTWINS15.jpegAUTELTWINS16.jpeg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Bumping this Thread for @Beacon ...Since he bought this same "Gear" in January of 2023...

Reactions: Beacon

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I made another Check on eBay for any reasonable offers for a Complete Autel MaxiDas DS708 Scan Tool Kit (WITH Images Proving that the Item actually has an OEM SD-Card with the requisite Autel Software on board)... and THIS one DOES.

However... I would STILL ask the Seller - Vendor to take and post a picture of the Main Menu Page to PROVE that the System Includes the USA- GM, Chrysler,and Ford Categories as well as the Asian and European Choices.

THIS Scan Tool featured in the images below was obviously being used in a Foreign Auto Repair Shop... So, By ALL Means, Please ... Contact the Seller and insist that he shows an image just like THIS Example Scan Tool Screen shown below (...taken from a DIFFERENT Autel MaxiDas DS708) ... Just to Be SURE:

autelmaxidasds708j-jpg.103055

Now...HERE is what is For Sale... and NOTE... IT includes a 'MAKE OFFER" opportunity as well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2042684433...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

BUT REMEMBER....

CAVEAT EMPTOR (BUYER BEWARE)

MAKE THE EBAY SELLER PROVE THAT THIS SCAN TOOL SD-CARD IS LOADED WITH THE USA TAB AND THE GM, CHRYSLER AND FORD SUB-SELECTIONS... OR IT WILL NOT WORK ON THESE AMERICAN MADE CARS!!!

THESE are the ONLY Images the Seller has thus far produced on the eBay Sales Page:

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600A.jpgs-l1600B.jpgs-l1600C.jpgs-l1600D.jpgs-l1600E.jpgs-l1600F.jpgs-l1600G.jpgs-l1600H.jpgs-l1600I.jpgs-l1600J.jpg

If EVERYTHING Turns Out to Be *Kosher*... Consider Making him an Offer he Can't Refuse...

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
On Wednesday, March 22nd, 2023, I sent THIS Message to the Seller mentioned in Post #13:

Just an FYI...

I have mentioned THIS offer of yours over at THIS Link...

The thing is... None of your Images show the USA-GM, Ford Chrysler Tabs on the Autel MaxiDas DS708 Main Menu. If you take the time to update your Sale Images with PROOF that those Features are also present... The interest there might increase the chances someone will make you an offer.

Best Of Luck that your Autel... WILL Soon Sell!

-=Bob=-

If the Seller responds with some Updated Images... I'll follow up HERE...

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Good News!... Check Out The Seller's Immediate Response...

AUTELOFFER.jpg

My Sincere Suggestion is THIS Guys...

DO NOT WAIT TOO LONG TO GET THIS AUTEL MAXIDAS DS708 KIT!

Make The Dude an OFFER He Can't Refuse!

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Just received an Update Message from the Seller of this Autel MaxiDas DS708 System that shows the Newly Created Images (linked images on his Original Offer below):

THESE Images confirm that THIS Autel MaxiDas DS708 Scan Tool Kit DOES provide the USA - GM, Chrysler and Ford Tabs for North American Auto Diagnostics Software Tabs:

NOTE: Finding any of these Autel MaxiDas DS708 FULL Kits in Good Shape WITH the Proper Autel OEM SD-Card having ALL the Software on board is getting increasingly difficult to accomplish. So if you are STILL Looking for a very well appointed Bi-Directional Scan Tool... updated as well... Then L<OO>K CLOSELY at THIS One and consider MAKING THE SELLER AN OFFER HE CAN'T REFUSE!!!:

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600A.jpgs-l1600B.jpgs-l1600C.jpgs-l1600D.jpg

Last edited:

jmross

Mar 23, 2023
Tempe AZ
So I went ahead and bought this. Do you still recommend making a copy of the SD card? The copy should work with it correct? Do you have any other recommendations?

• Love

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Yes... And may I extend my Hearty CONGRATULATIONS on your decision to obtain this Autel MaxiDas DS708 Full Kit...! WELCOME... to Walking in The Tall Corn... With The Big Dogs!

AUTELMAXIDASDS708SOLD5.jpg

YES...
By ALL means Duplicate the SD-CARD... But NOT by using a typical "File-Copy-Paste" technique as the Disk Information must be cloned... BYTE FOR BYTE.

If you are using the Make-Brand SD-CARD I suggested further back in this Thread (well explained for Linux Users) but you employ any Windows Operating System... Look for a decent application that will be able to READ and WRITE the Original SD-CARD Files and produce it as an .IMG File.

Then... STORE that file on Permanent Media (CD-ROM, DVD-ROM) etc, Then follow the Windows Application Steps after placing a Brand New 32 Gig SD-CARD inside the In-Dwelling Media Reader-Writer and allow it to Read back the .IMG File and Write it out Byte for Byte onto the New SD-CARD.

Then gently remove the Original SD-CARD from the Base of the Autel MaxiDas DS708 and Store it in a Plastic Casement that resides inside of your Autel Protective Hard Case along with the CD-rom Disk and with all the other Autel Gear. Finally, Insert the New, Duplicated SD-CARD...and Boot Up the Autel Scan Tool. Let me know if this does NOT Function correctly. Everything you have on that Original OEM SD-CARD IS WORTH TEN TIMES ITS WEIGHT IN SOLID GOLD!

Last edited:
Reactions: jmross

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@jmross ... While you wait for the arrival of your newly purchased Autel Maxi-DAS DS708 Full Kit ... Check Out Mr. Stutzman's superb Video providing instructions on "How To Clone" the OEM SD-CARD for your Unit...using a Windows OS Application instead of using Command Line Linux.

The only problem NOW is that using the Autel System Software will NOT "Phone Home" and connect to the now Defunct Subscription Service and Data Server ever since December 31, 2017. Instead... your efforts should focus on merely cloning the existing OEM SD-CARD over to another 32 Gigabyte SD-CARD with a Windows Application:

Last edited:

jmross

Mar 23, 2023
Tempe AZ
Right on! Thank you sir! I understand that all support for this tool is gone. Im ok with that.

I'm not a software buff. Aomei is what i was thinking of using. Will watch the video and take pointers.

I would like to start using Linux Though. What does it take to get started using this OS?

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Your Choice of using AOMEI TECH Software will work just fine...

Once again...You have come to "The Right Place" Please visit THIS GMTN "The Friendly Face of Linux" Thread and do the following:

(1) Start HERE...Read Through The Suggestions...

(2) Obtain a USB Thumb Drive with a minimum of 4GB (or use a DVD-R 4.7 GB Disk)

(3) Visit THIS Link... and follow the FREE .ISO Download & Burn Instructions for either your 32 Bit or 64 Bit Computers:

(4) Set up your Computer BIOS to allow a 'Boot Media" selection for either the USB Drive or the DVD Drive and Boot Up the LINUX MINT Media after Burning the ISO. You can start using it immediately as Linux Mint Ver. 21.1 aka "VERA" is VERY User Friendly and so you do NOT have to install the ISO side by side with Windows to be able USE the Linux Mint Software!.

(5) Check out HUNDREDS of Linux Training Videos on YouTube.

(6) Enjoy Using and Learning How Linux Works...Today...

"For as long as Grass is GREEN ...and Skies are BLUE... The Linux Operating System ...will be FREE..."

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
As a "General Shake Down" of the Autel MaxiDAS DS708 Scan Tool, THIS Video shows the Owner of 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe with the 5.3L LS Motor trying to figure out WHY he is getting Misfires on Cylinder #1 and Cylinder #6 once the engine hits over 2,200 RPM while he was driving at "HIGH" Way Speeds above 70 MPH. He also made the observation that the P0300 Code caused a Flashing Light on the Dash IPC and that this condition is "A CAT Killer" and thus, it MUST be acted upon ASAP.

The VOP (Video Original Poster) uses his Autel Scan Tool Touch Screen with its Stylus to take us through the initial System Diagnostics, Trouble Code Identification of the Random P0300 issue, Views of the Old Misfire Counts from the Trouble Code History and then performs the Live Diagnostics above 2,200 RPM when initiated as a Live Test on the DS708. Afterwards, he performs a Post-Test investigation to "Prove The FIX Worked..." as a Successful Repair.

Note that the Repair Solution to this problem becomes possible by using the SAME Autel Scan Tool when performing a CASE Relearn that would ordinarily require either a Tech 2 or another High End Scan Tool at the Local Dealership and would include a $100.00 "Delete" from the VOP's Wallet. So if THIS Video Does NOT Prove the Value of having a Used Autel MaxiDAS DS708 Scan Tool Kit for GM Automotive Diagnostics... Then NOTHING else will!:

Autel ... FTW! (Checkered Flag... and the Crowd Goes WILD...!!!)

Even Scotty Kilmer thought so... :
>)

Last edited:

jmross

Mar 23, 2023
Tempe AZ
I haven't played with Linux yet. But I did clone the SD card that came with my Autel Scanner. Aomei worked great using windows 10. Now the Maxidas is using a 32gb SD. I did save the file that Aomei generated to my drive too.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
THAT is Great News... And Please... Do drop back in on this Thread from time to time and make mention of any Diagnostics and Repairs you perform using your Autel MaxiDAS DS708 Scan Tool that might be of interest to the Folks here. :>)

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Okay... I just sent ANOTHER Message to THIS eBay Vendor who is trying to sell THIS Autel Maxidas DS708 Kit ...as per THIS Very Reasonable Offer for only $310.00 Plus $25.00 S&H:

IF IT WORKS!!!

I suggested to the Seller that he likewise TAKE AND POST UP MORE IMAGES of this Autel Maxidas DS708 ...In Action... proving that the necessary SD-CARD for this to work is presently installed and working and PROVE that the Scan Tool properly Boots Up to the USA Ford, Chrysler and GM Tabs Screen.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600AA.jpgs-l1600BB.jpgs-l1600CC.jpgs-l1600DD.jpg

Caveat Emptor: Buyer Beware...

ALL INTERESTED PARTIES SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR ANY FOLLOW UP RESPONSES COMING FROM THE SELLER AT THE LINK ABOVE FOR ANY NEW IMAGES AND VERIFICATION PROVING THAT THIS SCAN TOOL REALLY WORKS ...BEFORE... MAKING THIS PURCHASE.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
While you consider whether or not it is worth getting a Scan Tool like the Autel MaxiDAS DS708 that has has NOT been updated over the last decade...Think about THIS...

If you own GM and GMC Vehicles and want the BEST interactions with Reading and Writing Calibrations and Module Updates for Early Model Vehicles... of course ...the "GYMKO" Tech 2 is THE Premium Scan Tool for such repairs and diagnostics along with the MDI, VXDIAG NANO and many other more modern "J-BOX" type Scanners.

But for many of us...we may also own many other different Makes and Models of Vehicles that cannot be serviced using the GM Tech 2. However... if you own an Autel MaxiDAS DS708, it WILL be be able service GM and GMC Vehicles up to around 2017 at the latest (assuming the Updates were added to the SD-CARD prior to the Autel Factory Online Support End Date of December 31st, 2017) Scanning and Fixing OTHER makes and models becomes possible

Consider the fact that ALL of these OTHER Vehicles shown below were Scanned and problems addressed as mentioned and shown on THIS YouTube Channel Play List from a Pro Shop called "LM AUTO REPAIRS".

The Owner has memorialized this incredible variety and array of serviced vehicles as proof to anyone fortunate enough to find and purchase a fully functioning Autel MaxiDAS DS708 Scan Tool Kit. of its versatility. Here are (46) such Example Scanned Repairs covering a wide range of Makes and Models of Vehicles:

Performing some careful "Due Diligence" here will reward those who investigate these possibilities on eBay and communicate with the Sellers to ensure that they provide Screen Images showing that the Autel MaxiDAS DS708 Scanners they offer ...actually function.

Otherwise... they will just be buying expensive "BRICKS" if these units Do NOT come with the factory Autel SD-CARDs plugged into the Bases of these Machines loaded with the Autel Boot Up Software and with ALL of the Vehicle Makes and Models Updates included.

Keep Your Wits About You...

jmross

Mar 23, 2023
Tempe AZ
So I had my Maxidas708 updated to the latest software. A man named David does it. He has the service listed on eBay. Here is the link.

He did a great job. You need a SD card reader on your PC and the TeamViewer app. Doesn't matter if the SD card is missing. He loads the software onto a new SD Card through TeamViewer on your PC. As far as I know, he is the only one doing this.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I would make certain to run a check of the Renewed SD-CARD in a Secure "Sandbox" and scour it for any hidden Virus Infections, Root-Kits, Spyware or Malware. I saw this $100.00 Offer SD-CARD Creation over on eBay and it puzzles me that Autel has not as yet interceded and taken this offer down.

That Damned "TEAMVIEWER" Software is a Nefarious Tool used extensively by the Telephone Scammers over in India to gain access to private email and Bank Accounts and since the SD-CARD has to be connected to a PC or a Laptop during these kinds of events...you might never know WHAT can be surreptitiously installed onto the SD-CARD, like a "KEYLOGGER" that will come back to haunt you!

The only thing I can surmise is that this eBay Vendor is probably a former Autel Employee who shrewdly downloaded everything from the company server before Decimeter 31st, 2017 while everything was still available and working on the Autel FTP Site. He must have obtained all of the Off Site, System Software, including all of the OEM Installation Documentation necessary to assign a NEW Recombination Set Up Password and Account that can be Read and Written onto the BIOS and EEPROM of the Logic Board of the DS708.

Ordinarily, Autel has that "One Time Use" Installation Algorithm that gathers data on the New Make and Model, New Unique Serial Number and New Customer Password all in conjunction with whatever else he has to do on his end to accomplish this once he has Live Access to the Device On Line and thus, make it possible to "Revive a Dead Box" in this way.

Please be certain to Disable the Wireless Network Feature right away, since the Browser System on the Autel Scan Tool comes with NO VPN Protection whenever the Scan Tool is turned on and it automatically Boots Up to the Internet and avoid having it either "Phone Home" or Broadcast its IP Address to other parties who may have some interest in locating the "New Owner" of your Machine as it begins using this "New Software".

Make certain to examine ALL of the Files on the SD-CARD (look for any Different or Hidden Files) and observe whether or not the NEW SD-CARD File Sizes match the ones on the OEM SD-CARD. One Cannot Be TOO Careful... and with that in mind... If you have the Tools, the Time, Harness AND the Skill Set... it would be wise to obtain an Old eBay GM P-01 PCM and perform some Bench Top Diagnostics using the Updated SD-CARD in the Autel MaxiDas DS708 Scanner as an experiment.

This will ensure that if something decides to "go sideways" and corrupt the P-01 PCM Calibration(s)... or even "BRICKING" the DS708 ... you can avoid this by not diving right in and using it on a Working Vehicle and not put any other vehicle PCMs in jeopardy or at risk before you know for certain that the Scan Tool will NOT misbehave and produce any unexpected *Surprises*.

If you carry on with using the Autel Scan Tool without "Knowing the Unknowns" and taking some elemental precautions by using the Updated Card in lieu of the OEM SD-CARD... anything can happen...

Please Visit THIS Link.. Watch How These Scams Work... They ALL require the Installation of the "TEAMVIEWER" or "ANYDESK" Software ...and... with the agreement to "accept" the Incoming "Call" HE enters the PC and THEN The FUN Begins!
Check Out "Jim Browning"...

Check Out "Scammer Payback" to see how some of these Clever Scams work...

PS... Even if the Vendor Does NOT use anything that he can *SCAM* off of your PC (or plant on the DS708) with the *KEYLOGGER" ...HE CAN STILL SELL YOUR INFORMATION ...FOR A LOT MORE THAN $100.00 :>(

Last edited:

jmross

Mar 23, 2023
Tempe AZ
I scanned the SD card with some virus apps on my laptop and can't find any. I have a dedicated laptop just for my vcx nano and associated patched/cracked software, I used for this update of the SD card.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Okay... And if you have that Hard Drive Backed Up on another Spare Drive... and used it to go On Line using "TEAMVIEWER" at any time during the Creation of the New Autel SD-CARD... The BEST Thing to do is to Wipe THAT Drive with a DOD 3-5 Level of "Scrubbing" ...and then re-install everything from your Back Up Media.

THIS is the ONLY way to know for certain that anything insidious that has been planted on that Laptop... is ABSOLUTELY Wiped CLEAN. Don't put the SD-CARD back into ANY other Computer afterwards other than the Autel DS708.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
SOLD................................SOLD.........................SOLD......................

Moving ahead with other possibilities... I’m still keeping an eye out for any deals on the Autel MaxiDAS DS708 Kits… and even though THIS Kit is located over in England… The S&H Charges at around $47.00 are quite comparable to what is being offered with other recent eBay USA Sales. Look over the Images the eBay Vendor provided to see that the USA Tab (Ford, Chrysler and GM) is present and the Screen is operational.

Take into consideration that there are around 4 Days Left with this as an Open Bid and that the 12 ‘Contenders’ for this Kit have been bumping up the price on a regular basis. As of Wednesday, April 12th, 2023 at around 2:10 PM… the Price sits at around $172.00… BUT it probably will NOT stay low for long. Whatever you do… if you intend in getting involved in this competition… JUST HOVER AND LURK AROUND IN THE BACKGROUND and avoid placing ANY Bids until the VERY LAST 30 SECONDS of its Activity:

s-l1600.jpgs-l16002.jpgs-l16003.jpgs-l16004.jpgs-l16005.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
THIS one is located up in Canada...with a BUY IT NOW Price of $481.89...AND... A "MAKE OFFER" Option as well. The Screen Images show that it has the requisite USA (Ford, Chrysler, GM) Tabs on an Operational SD-CARD... so THIS Offer might suit our GMT Nation Folks up in The Great White North:

Note that this eBay Vendor has a 100% Rating:

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600AA.jpgs-l1600BB.jpgs-l1600CC.jpgs-l1600DD.jpgs-l1600EE.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Well... Like I keep suggesting... DON'T GIVE UP ON SEARCHING (AND LURKING) FOR THESE AUTEL MAXIDAS DS708 PRO QUALITY SCAN TOOL KITS...

Just LOOK at the Bargain Price THIS Autel Kit mentioned up in Post #31 just went for... OMG!

SOLDINENGLANDONEBAY.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For anyone still looking for a HQ Professional Scan Tool Kit... I'm reviving THIS eBAY Sale at $399.00 PLUS $50.00 S&H in Excellent Shape at the BEST Price for anyone with Multiple Vehicles (GM Included) and perhaps with a Small Business fixing Gm Vehicles up to around 2013 (perhaps a bit later too). Consider starting to read this Thread from Post#1 as ALL the Details MATTER...and THIS Item is a BARGAIN:

CAVEAT EMPTOR: Buyer Beware...

Contact the eBay Seller to confirm that THIS Unit includes the SD-RAM OEM Operational Software Card that is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for its proper operation (as indicated so far by the views of the NA USA GM, Ford and Chrysler Selection Screens...) AND READ EVERYTHING PRIOR TO THIS POST TO GET COMPLETELY PREPPED AND INFORMED ABOUT THE AUTEL MAXI-DAS DS-708 SCAN TOOL KIT!

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600Q.jpgs-l1600R.jpgs-l1600S.jpgs-l1600T.jpgs-l1600W.jpgs-l1600X.jpgs-l1600Y.jpg

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you have any GM Vehicles of a 2013 and Earlier Vintage... or MANY OTHER NON-GM Makes and Models that you need to Diagnose... THIS is yet another Rare Opportunity over on eBay to Purchase a "Buy It Now" Fully Loaded and Operational Autel Maxi-Das DS-708 Pro-Grade Scan Tool Kit for $450.00 + $30.00 S&H:

YES...YES...YES... Of Course... There ARE Later Versions of the Autel Scanners that will service the Post 2013 Vehicles. However, they also may NOT be able to service and work on the 2013 and Earlier Vehicles with as many included Features as THIS Particular Scan Tool Kit is loaded with. So of course... Own a later Model GM or GMC Truck? Well... SKIP THIS DEAL. Many of the "Updated" Scan Tool Kits have REDUCED CAPABILITIES!

BUT... Anyone who is looking for One of the Few Scan Tools of a Professional Dealership Quality and Status for under $500.00 should Read Over every single entry in this Thread and consider getting THIS Kit.

The included images show that it DOES have the requisite SD-RAM Operational Software Card installed that is absolutely a necessity to make it work. It also comes with the OEM case and the Support Gear as well... and it looks like the Vendor Updates were added to and installed on the SD-Card before the December 2017 Autel On-Line Updates Cut Off Date.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: Buyer Beware...

Contact the eBay Seller to confirm that THIS Unit includes the SD-RAM OEM Operational Software Card that is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for its proper operation (as indicated so far by the views of the NA USA GM, Ford and Chrysler Selection Screens...) AND READ EVERYTHING PRIOR TO THIS POST TO GET COMPLETELY PREPPED AND INFORMED ABOUT THE AUTEL MAXI-DAS DS-708 SCAN TOOL KIT!

s-l1600A.jpgs-l1600B.jpgs-l1600C.jpgs-l1600D.jpgs-l1600E.jpgs-l1600F.jpgs-l1600G.jpgs-l1600H.jpgs-l1600I.jpgs-l1600J.jpgs-l1600K.jpgs-l1600L.jpgs-l1600M.jpgs-l16001.png

CAVEAT EMPTOR: Buyer Beware.... Contact the eBay Seller and VERIFY that the images shown in this Offer are definitely of the depicted Working Scan Tool and NOT just Generics.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
THIS is another Autel Maxi-DAS DS-708 Kit that is listed on eBay for "$320.00 OR BEST OFFER"... By making the Seller an offer in the $250-$275 Range ...with the $50.00 S&H required...You might fall into a VERY GOOD BARGAIN.

Take Note from the Screen Print showing the presence of the MOST Important Screen Options listing for the NAO Makes and Models as present: Chrysler, Ford AND GM. This Listing would only show up if the Unit has the requisite SD-RAM Card with the Factory Authorized Unit Specific Software installed.

Here are the Screen Prints of this Kit:

s-l140.jpgs-l1600I.jpgs-l1600Q.jpgs-l1600R.jpgs-l1600T.jpgs-l1600U.jpgs-l1600W.jpgs-l1600Y.jpg

CAVEAT EMPTOR: Buyer Beware..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
While I got you here, I just found this one:

It's an Autel MK808BT. Says he has problems with it. I think maybe just subscription related but it apparently should work fine without a subscription with vehicles up to the year available on the last update (unknown at this point).

Good deal for $400CAD? I could try to deal him down for the subscription thing.

• Sad

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got this response from the seller:

Yes, it's still available. Read the article. And he was in good shape. It was in perfect condition, but for the past two days it has been running on the refrigerator and freezer. It requires a flash file, which must be downloaded from Google or sent to the manufacturer, and its price is $120.

• Sad

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
One Last Word on the subject of THIS particular Professional Grade Scan Tool Kit... Unlike its Later Model Brethren... that have TIME SENSITIVE CONTRACTS THAT WILL NOT ALLOW CERTAIN DEVICES TO WORK UNLESS YOU KEEP PAYING FOR THE SERVICES TO KEEP THE MACHINES FUNCTIONING... THIS particular Model of the Maxi-DAS DS-708 will NEVER fail due to that particular change in "How The Business Model for these Higher Money Scan Tools work NOW". Each Year subsequent to their "Updated Models" means LESS Coverage on Legacy Cars and Trucks because the Major Manufacturers WANT PEOPLE TO BUY NEWER VEHICLES ASAP.

So if you have a 2013 and Earlier Model Vehicle whether Chrysler, Ford or GM Vehicles and WHOLE LOT MORE INTERNATIONAL MAKES AND MODELS... in particular... For Our GMs and GMCs... Beware getting a supposed "Updated" Scan Tool Kit" that not only MAY NOT SERVICE LEGACY GM AND GMC UNIQUE SPECIALTY VEHICLE FEATURES... but once that "New Contract" is up...They may STOP WORKING altogether. Please... Read (and WATCH the Videos) on EVERYTHING from Start to Finish in THIS Thread and KNOW what you will actually be getting For Not TOO Much Money...While the Getting is STILL GOOD!

ANYTHING that Autel offers for Less than a $1,000.00 AFTER the Maxi-DAS DS-708 might be a Sub-Set Model that is NOT Full Featured enough to cover everything you are expecting it to do...So BEFORE YOU *PULL THE PIN*... look up every single YouTube Video you can find on the "REALLY GREAT SALE...OF THE XYZ....etc..." Don't Get BURNED... and Read the Very Fine Print of all of the Autel sub-models out there in order Not to Get "SLID".

PS... LOOK at that "OBD2" Icon next to the USA Chrysler, Ford and GM Icons Screen... THAT Feature should STILL work in ANY OBD2 circumstances for scanning and for reading Generic Trouble Codes in ALL Vehicles... regardless of their Years, Makes or Models... :>)

Last edited:

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Attachments

• autel-ds708 -faq.pdf
    397.9 KB · Views: 0
  • autel-ds708-user-manual-english-version.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 0