Getting a "Handle" on "Key" Issues for Full-Size Trucks

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Since I absolutely HATE doing anything "by halves"... when @Blckshdw 's mention about Replacement Key & Tumbler being sound advice for the Aging Trailblazers-Envoys and Rainiers, I 'tumbled' and ordered an ACDelco Full Set for my TB for $33.00 (See the attached Images and take notice: There are NO GM Logos embossed onto these Keys).

I also realized that when I bought my 2000 Silverado a few years back... It only came with a Single Key and a Single Fob. Even though this 21 Year Old Truck still has under 73,000 Miles on it... Nevertheless, I wanted to solve this problem of not only getting a replacement New Steering Column Lockwork Mechanism with a Duplicate Key Set, I also wanted them to work on the Door Locks as well.

But who supports this kind of "OTC" Triplicate Hardware with any reliable GM OEM Standards of Excellence to avoid making the mistake of getting something that breaks down in no time at all? I did a little research and found out that in the same vein that Delphi has made Major GM Components & Electronic Goodies with no small renown almost forever, apparently the same can be said for the STRATTEC Security Corporation out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

In this case, they sell a Kit for just over $100.00 having the GM OEM Locks (WITH the GM LOGO on the Keys) , Two Keys & the retainer hardware for the Ignition and Door Locks that is a very sturdy, full set. The caution here though is that you just have to make certain of your Year Make & Model when ordering because these will NOT work in the Later Model Full Size GM and GMC Trucks. There are others available for them though, too.

I also wanted to solve the additional problem involving the Exterior Door Handles having a strange appearance of *sparkling* and *fibrous* dusty looking material breaking down happening due to the excessive heat pervading Florida damned near All Year 'Round. So with even more research, I found a pair of replacement Black Plastic Door Handle Assemblies for the Front Left-Front Right arrangement available on Amazon for a ridiculously Low Price. There were THOUSANDS of 4.5* Ratings abiding there about these Door Handles and when they arrived and I tinkered around with them... I saw only Quality and a 'proper feel' of the two Handle Actuators that also won't hurt once all of these items have been properly installed.

And last but not least, since I only have the One Key-Fob available and I'd be loathe to loan it to anyone in the family for fear of never getting my Y2K Truck returned... I did even more research and found a company that practically GIVES these Damned Things away at their selling price and believe me...You CANNOT tell them apart from the GM OEM Original Key Fobs!

So... If you are in a similar situation where you feel comfortable enough with following the GM Service Manual and pulling off the Inner Door panels while tearing into the mechanisms inside along with the fiddling the Door Modules if necessary, just keep these items (Names & Part Numbers) in mind and renew them WITHOUT having to pay out the same amount of Money just to have a Locksmith Re-Key your exisiting Ignition AND Door Locks. :>)

Attachments

• IMG_5365.jpeg
    IMG_5365.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5366.jpeg
    IMG_5366.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5368.jpeg
    IMG_5368.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5369.jpeg
    IMG_5369.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5370.jpeg
    IMG_5370.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5371.jpeg
    IMG_5371.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5373.jpeg
    IMG_5373.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5375.jpeg
    IMG_5375.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5376.jpeg
    IMG_5376.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5380.jpeg
    IMG_5380.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5381.jpeg
    IMG_5381.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5383.jpeg
    IMG_5383.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5384.jpeg
    IMG_5384.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5385.jpeg
    IMG_5385.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5387.jpeg
    IMG_5387.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
  • Love
Reactions: azswiss and mrrsm

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Me Likey... :>)

...and the "Jimmy Jammer" Kit is available on Amazon, too... :>)

Attachments

• jimmyjammerplates0.jpg
    jimmyjammerplates0.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 4
  • jimmyjammerplates1.jpg
    jimmyjammerplates1.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 2
  • jimmyjammerplates2.jpg
    jimmyjammerplates2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 4
  • jimmyjammerplates3.jpg
    jimmyjammerplates3.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: azswiss

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Saw this post and ordered both front & rear sets for my '03 Suburban. The design is slick and the components are solid. Installation was somewhat more challenging than the pictures would lead one to believe. The main challenge is managing the process mostly in the blind as the assembly is installed inside the door structure (not to mention the fact that the window guide tracks sport a razor sharp edge). That said, the first is a PITA but the remainder are straightforward once you figure out the tricks.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online