General questions about putting after market HU and system in a TB.

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
i have read that replacing the factory stereo can be a night mare in these and requires extra harnesses or something due to many things like theft deterent system and other stuff being tied into the factory unit......any clarity on what it takes to put a aftermarket head unit in......would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
MedicatedMike said:
Very neat thread so far guys!! I really like all the custom installs and those custom gauges are sick as sh**!!
i have read that replacing the factory stereo can be a night mare in these and requires extra harnesses or something due to many things like theft deterent system and other stuff being tied into the factory unit......any clarity on what it takes to put a aftermarket head unit in......would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

I have a 2004 envoy and it did not take me too long and have had no issues with any of my installations. (currently I have a sony xplod).
I did not have money for the harness (warning chimes/security) at the time of my first aftermarket H.U. install and It was not bad at all. Bought the mount/install kit for the vehicle (can even find at walmart for under $20), looked up the color coding for speaker wires / power / and did the wiring for those and a remote on wire I ran to an accessory wire under the steering wheel and it was fine. (because I did not have the chime/security harness I had no warning chimes for doors open, no seatbelt, or leaving headlights on... but everything else worked fine)

Heres what I went by: Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: The radio harness does not provide a switched power source. Run a wire to the ignition switch harness (brown wire) for switched power*** or if your TB has pink factory turn on wire for stereo already
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/White
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
MedicatedMike said:
Very neat thread so far guys!! I really like all the custom installs and those custom gauges are sick as sh**!!

:iagree: with what Cone said... however... depending on what your vehicle has, will dictate what harness/harness' you will need... if you want to lose everything, (RAP's, OnStar, Steering Wheel Controls), then what Cone stated will suffice... but if you want to keep all your bells and whistles, then you will need the harness'

so first question is, so you want to retain all the factory options?
second question is, do you have BOSE in your vehicle
third question, do you have steering wheel controls?

if you want to retain your OnStar and RAP's, and if you are nonBOSE, then the harness you need is the GMOS-01
if you want to retain your OnStar and RAP's and if you do have BOSE, then the harness you need is the GMOS-04
if you have steering wheel controls and want to keep them, then there is another harness that starts with a PAC, but i just dont know the rest of the numbers...

hope this helps... now on to some more system pics!!! :wootwoot:

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Thank you very much Cone and Boricua SS for replies! I actually just was figuring out for myself all that super helpful info you just shared Boricua. I think I actually need Metra GMOS-014 GM as we have every single option possible in our LT except leather....meaning it even has the rear dvd player.

-So from what I found, you loose satelite radio regardless (no biggie, we use ipod anyways)

-Loosing Onstar and even chimes is not a big deal to us.

-Loosing steering wheel controls would be acceptable with knew H.U. with IPOD hookup and small sub in rear. :yes:

-Loosing the rear DVD for kids....NOT acceptable :no: Is there a DIY way around this?

-We DO have the BOSE...so what exactly does that mean? I read it COULD mean your BOSE amp wont turn on and in return speakers wont work?

---Also one description for these harnesses stated that if you dont get one, it could even mess with warning lights like check engine light....is that true or a scare tactic?

Seems likely I will be forced to buy the $160 harness deal if we want to put a aftermarket radio in......sigh

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
MedicatedMike said:
-Loosing the rear DVD for kids....NOT acceptable :no: Is there a DIY way around this?

-We DO have the BOSE...so what exactly does that mean? I read it COULD mean your BOSE amp wont turn on and in return speakers wont work?

---Also one description for these harnesses stated that if you dont get one, it could even mess with warning lights like check engine light....is that true or a scare tactic?

for the rear DVD, i am uncertain as ive never delt with those... and BOSE just means you have an amplified system with extra speakers in your ride (the four doors, and then tweeters in your dash vents), so with any system, you need to provide power to the amp, rca's, etc... but.... if you get the harness that is not for BOSE, then yes, you will lose the amp, and to bypass it, you will need to run new speaker wire from each individual speaker to the new HU harness.. soooo... i would look into the harness to keep your BOSE if its within your budget, or you can just forget all about it if you like wiring :rotfl:

and ive never heard of any codes being thrown.. its a radio, not an engine compartment alteration.. so i think its a scare tactic..

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks again for clearing some of that up! :biggrin:

Got the wife a high end FM transmitter for her IPOD for the mean time, so no huge hurry atleast.

I am not afraid of wiring, as I had to completely wire a old camaro for a new HU years back BUT I just dont want to mess anything up or cause any problems with other things just to save $150......so I guess we just save up enough that we can get the harness, HU, and small system, before jumping in. :thumbsup:

We plan to keep this truck a very long time if possible and I value your opion Boricua, so what is the absolute best brand to go with for this harness kit? metra?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
MedicatedMike said:
Thanks again for clearing some of that up! :biggrin:

Got the wife a high end FM transmitter for her IPOD for the mean time, so no huge hurry atleast.

I am not afraid of wiring, as I had to completely wire a old camaro for a new HU years back BUT I just dont want to mess anything up or cause any problems with other things just to save $150......so I guess we just save up enough that we can get the harness, HU, and small system, before jumping in. :thumbsup:

We plan to keep this truck a very long time if possible and I value your opion Boricua, so what is the absolute best brand to go with for this harness kit? metra?

well good thing you're not afraid of wiring :crackup:

but to keep this thread on topic, why dont you create a new one in the audio section, so we can continue to post about setup pix in this one...and if the mods can move these posts to said thread once its created :thumbsup:

but to answer your question really quick... the Metra Axxess GMOS-04 is a popular brand used by us... since i dont have BOSE, i used the Metra GMOS-01... there are Scosche harness' as well.. but they are a little more pricey... there are horror stories of the GMOS-04, but i believe that by far its the most popular harness used by BOSE type application vehicles on here

Axxess GMOS-04 (gmos04) OnStar Interface for Amplified GM Systems
Steering Wheel Control Adapters and Interfaces | Car Stereo Installation & Accessories | Car Audio/Video Installation & Accessories | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix
Scosche Wiring Harnesses (Vehicle Sound System: Premium Sound) | Car Stereo Installation & Accessories | Car Audio/Video Installation & Accessories | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix

these are just a few things to look at... so go create that thread, and we'll continue talking there :coffee:

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Created this so the mods can please move BoricuaSS and I's convo to here as I accidently Hijacked the post your pics here thread. :redface:

Thanks!!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
thank you to whoever moved this thread... now back to the topic :rotfl:

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
well....I checked out the links but none say anything about RES (Rear entertainment system), but I did see an old post on OS where you answered a similar question and someone else said after installing the kit, their RES still worked like before. (I found it buy searching RES specifically.) :biggrin:

The guy at first had almost no sound bc he installed the kit for BOSE and realized he didnt have BOSE....after returning for right harness kit it worked great and RES did too he said. It was in april last year incase that rings a bell. :thumbsup:

So guess I will just have to wait until we have a pile of cash to burn and go for it! :wootwoot:

thought of a few other questions.

Im used to buying the mounting kit,the wire harness adapter, and the antena adapter for after market radios. Does this big harness kit replace the need for the normal harness adapter or do you still need all 3 of those plus this kit? (GMOS-04)

Lastly I know this will be a hard question or more of an opinion, but I havent shopped for HU's in a few years. Any recommendations with IPOD hookup and being able to control song selection from the IPOD touch being utmost priority......

Thanks Boricua, you rock!

nismo0886

Jan 10, 2012
I just recently bought a pioneer hu with DVD has iPod hookup the mounting bracket and the gmos1 for 350 shipped from crutchfield

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
MedicatedMike said:
I think I actually need Metra GMOS-014 GM

MedicatedMike said:
-Losing the rear DVD for kids....NOT acceptable :no: Is there a DIY way around this?

You are correct sir, the GMOS-014 was the only one I could find to retain the RSE, the kiddo would not have been happy without listening to her movies. I've hooked it up and have had no problem.

However, if you feel experimental, there may be another solution. I want to point out, I have not done this. This comes from observation only, any damage or failure to operate is your responsibility!!!

It appears that the only modification Axxess did on the GMOS-014 to allow for the RSE connection was to add RCA jacks to the factory harness adapter they provide. The RSE signal does not go through to the GMOS, just straight from the OEM wiring harness to the Axxess harness then to A/V inputs on the aftermarket radio.

On the wiring harness provided with the GMOS-014 the 12 pin connector pin-out is as follows:

Pin 8 - Right (red) speaker output from the RSE
Pin 9 - Left (white) speaker output from the RSE
Pin 10 - Common (black) ground from the RSE

The OEM 12 pin connector is as follows (sourced from the Roadie in this thread, I Need HELP with A wiring diagram for overhead oem dvd flip screen (Sorry to source the OS, but that's where I found it.)

Quote:
Brown/White - left audio goes to radio pin J
Green/White - right audio to radio pin H
Black/White - Audio common (use as a shield for the left/right audio coax) to radio pin K
Shield to pin C - Apparently not used on the GMOS-014

That radio connector C2 has pinouts as follows:
M L K J H G
F E D C B A
Connector Key between C and D
End Quote:

If the wire color is different on your vehicle, pins 8, 9 and 10 on the adapter harness should equate to pins H, J and K on the OEM harness.
You could buy a GMOS-04 and try to add these pins to their wiring harness adapter and see if they get a signal from the RSE. Or if you feel adventurous splice into the factory harness.
At $90 for a GMOS-04 and $130 for a GMOS-014 it might be worthwhile to buy a few pins and some wires. If you buy your HU from Crutchfield they sell you the GMOS-04 at 50% off ($49.95).
Had I known this when I ordered my radio, I would have tried the modification and saved $80.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
MedicatedMike said:
well....I checked out the links but none say anything about RES (Rear entertainment system), but I did see an old post on OS where you answered a similar question and someone else said after installing the kit, their RES still worked like before. (I found it buy searching RES specifically.) :biggrin:

The guy at first had almost no sound bc he installed the kit for BOSE and realized he didnt have BOSE....after returning for right harness kit it worked great and RES did too he said. It was in april last year incase that rings a bell. :thumbsup:

So guess I will just have to wait until we have a pile of cash to burn and go for it! :wootwoot:

thought of a few other questions.

Im used to buying the mounting kit,the wire harness adapter, and the antena adapter for after market radios. Does this big harness kit replace the need for the normal harness adapter or do you still need all 3 of those plus this kit? (GMOS-04)

Lastly I know this will be a hard question or more of an opinion, but I havent shopped for HU's in a few years. Any recommendations with IPOD hookup and being able to control song selection from the IPOD touch being utmost priority......

Thanks Boricua, you rock!

honestly, i dont remember that that post from the OS, i would have to see it, and since im banned on numerour accounts lol, its kinda hard for me to see... i wont give you any advise on the RES as i know nothing about them.. i havent had any experience with them, so i dont want to steer you in the wrong directions, others will chime in to help you out :thumbsup:

and yes, you still need an antenna adapter, hardware kit, plus your wiring harness... usually, if you buy from sonicelectronix, they supply the hardware kit, and antenna adaptor for free.. at least wen i bought my HU they did :yes:

and i dont have any input thoughts for an IPod.. i dont have one, so i never used one on the radios.. however, i have the Pioneer AVH 4300.. and its IPod/IPhone compability is awesome!! my friend (member Sekolax216 on here) has the same HU in his TB and he has an IPhone, and he can literally use his stereo as his IPhone, all apps, etc.. eveything except make a phone call pretty much lol... but again, others will chime in with their thoughts...

and no problem bro :grouphug: i always jump at the chance to itch someones mod bug :raspberry:

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
It appears that the only modification Axxess did on the GMOS-014 to allow for the RSE connection was to add RCA jacks to the factory harness adapter they provide. The RSE signal does not go through to the GMOS, just straight from the OEM wiring harness to the Axxess harness then to A/V inputs on the aftermarket radio.

Generally on these vehicles you can take the OEM radio out and the DVD still works fine. For anyone wanting to upgrade and not buy a real expensive harness, start there. The downside is that the DVD player will work via headphones only. Not necessarily a bad thing but depends how old the kids are if headphones are a good option. Even though the RCA jacks don't go through the GMOS-014, by default there is no audio signal on those wires. The factory radio tells the dvd player to send the audio to the front when you request it by hitting the button on the radio. I assume the GMOS mimics that by data so that those RCA jacks have an audio signal on them.

vyasmonarchu

Jun 29, 2014
I just bought jvc kw-avx810 online and want to install it in GMC Envoy 2003 with existing Bose Radio with AMP and onstar.

I bought a standard wiring harness to connect it to my system. but after everything done . My new stereo turns on but i get no sound in it .

Any help .. ( I do not want to retain onstar or chimes or steering controls or rear playable controls)

I almost same procedure as mentioned below but just not getting sound .
ConeKilrAutoX said:
I have a 2004 envoy and it did not take me too long and have had no issues with any of my installations. (currently I have a sony xplod).
I did not have money for the harness (warning chimes/security) at the time of my first aftermarket H.U. install and It was not bad at all. Bought the mount/install kit for the vehicle (can even find at walmart for under $20), looked up the color coding for speaker wires / power / and did the wiring for those and a remote on wire I ran to an accessory wire under the steering wheel and it was fine. (because I did not have the chime/security harness I had no warning chimes for doors open, no seatbelt, or leaving headlights on... but everything else worked fine)

Heres what I went by: Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: The radio harness does not provide a switched power source. Run a wire to the ignition switch harness (brown wire) for switched power*** or if your TB has pink factory turn on wire for stereo already
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/White
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members