This should be interesting to watch...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
6.0s have AFM? Didn't know that.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yup. The Avalanche with the L76 6.0 had it. So does my Caprice with the L77 6.0.

Should be interesting indeed. I think there's a few out there that had this problem. :biggrin:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Huh. Definitely wouldn't have expected the PPV to have it but... I guess that actually doesn't suprise me given GM of that era...

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Yes very interesting to see what happens, I know 2 people who had vehicles and engine problems because of this, and it's not cheap to fix.

Plus I have a 17 silverado with the 5.3 v8 engine. I put a range chip in it at the beginning to disable the "v4" mode so we will see, at 33k right now.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I permantly disabled it in the Avy with HPTuners as well as the PPV when I got it tuned. When I disabled it in the Saab, I saw no appreciable increase in fuel consumption. You there's a problem when there are so many people finding ways to either disable or remove it.

Another useless thing that will wear parts is Auto Stop/Start. I put a disabler for that shit in my Sierra. And the beauty of it is that you turn it back on and the dealer won't even know it's there.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I actually got a friend that as well. It's a little microprocessor/latching relay thing. Elegant solution. Everyone says start stop is so seamless. You don't notice it. It is back to normal before you foot hits the gas pedal. I can confirm that every single vehicle I've driven with it (from gm to audi) I am faster than it and it dogs and bucks off the line at a traffic light everytime. Hardly seamless.

As far as starter longevity... the sierra has 300k on it of service work being started and stopped several hundred times per day. Factory starter. Everything gets an HD style starter now so it isn't much an issue. Start stop on a diesel is however sofa king stupid.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Seamless my butt! One time it stopped and restarted while the engine was still spinning down and it made a weird knock. It would stop at a stop sign, which is utterly useless. And I see this as a safety issue as as it would take that extra half second to move, which may be important when trying to cut through traffic or merge. And the funny thing is that sometimes when I turn it on because of traffic, I want it to work and it doesn't stop the engine. Seems to be doing this since the cold weather hit.

• Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Don't know about the GM stop/start but, some of them have two batteries so that the electronics don't get short changed should you get caught in LA type traffic.
Hard to believe you had to hand crank vehicles at one time...once you started it,you damn sure weren't going to stop it...:no:

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175