General Motors is killing off the Holden brand

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
They're pulling out of Thailand so that kills it in Oz.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This story is more in depth.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
But at least for Ron Jeremy, its a happy ending. This is just bad, all the way around for GM.

Buick, for the foreseeable future, will not be cancelled because of China. I see either GMC or Chevy being axed, and maybe even Cadi.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely not Chevy as it's basically their anchor brand. Buick will likely end in NA but who knows what will happen with China's flaky tastes and changing political climate.

GM=Gone Mad

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
While GM is pulling out of everywhere, KIA is selling the new Tellurides as fast as they can make them in West Point, Georgia. Seems like GM was asleep at the wheel again.:nighty:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
KIA is selling the new Tellurides as fast as they can make them in West Point, Georgia.

From everything I've read, they're the goods too.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I was a bit surprised when they sold Opel, so less surprised with each new retreat. GM appears to have a plan, it's just the dumbest f@#$ing plan going. No balls. Afraid to compete so they're gonna go home and not even attempt to play.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
download.jpeg
GM CEO Mary Barra
"You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem” (Eldridge Cleaver)
just sayin'...

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And alienating whole continents and countries in the process. They pissed us off royally when they closed the Oshawa plant. I'm sure Europe wasn't too impressed when Saab was shelved.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I just scratch my head over this. I see trailblazers all over the place here in western ny, most of them with rust somewhere. If they were to release a new one, with a big engine that doesn't drop in V4 mode, that doesn't screw around with the transmission to save 1 mpg, on a frame and that can pull a boat you would have an instant winner. And don't get me started about the newer "trailblazer", that's just blasphemy. Too much getting woke and going broke. Ok rant over :smile:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just love this guy. Tells like it is.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Exactly. Screw the people and make as much money as possible. Give them only what we want to give them, who cares what they want.

Brian K

Apr 5, 2012
I have an 09 Envoy with 150K on it and love it for many, many reasons.
Size is perfect, rear seats fold down with no hole between the front and back seats, seats are very comfortable and the headrest is a better angle than the new ones, and it is a decent 4X4. I wish I had the 5.3L in to though. I also pull a boat and want an SUV like the Envoy with a to replace it. Where is GM??? Nothing in the same category. The Yukon is too big and pricey, and the Acadia et al just don't have the trailering ratings and I don't want a truck. And yeah the new Trailblazer is just disappointing. The Traverse isn't bad but feels cheap.
Where to turn? I guess I will just maintain the Envoy until I find something I like. The Jeep or Durango would work, but, well, they're Fiats so not going there. Maybe a Ford Explorer but that isn't a true 4X4 and they have a PTU instead of a Transfer Case with no drain to change the oil. Great Move Ford! And of course no dipsticks on the new Tranny's either.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I wouldn't throw FCA completely under the bus by calling them all Fiat's. I know the difference. Jeep JL and JT are exactly as they have always been and buck today's save every gallon trend. I believe GM is going this very way and ignoring the core owners of larger traditional GM SUV's. Don't get me hooked and tell me I have to settle for FWD architecture. Save it for the next generation. I see a Jeep in my future.

Brian K

Apr 5, 2012
I had an 89 and a 96 Grand Cherokee. Both were very good vehicles but now the 5.7 Hemi's with the MDS are prone to lifter failure which wipes out the cams. I work for a company that is getting rid or 3 trucks with Hemi's - all 3 had lifter problems. About 10K to fix. Also one of the trucks needed a new rear diff - for $6800. Ouch. Many have said once Fiat took them over, Chrysler started cheaping out on parts and design etc. I also had a 300 which was basically a Benz and it was a great vehicle. My son is still driving it.
Please GM - bring back a smaller framed SUV with a 5.3.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
5.7 Hemi's with the MDS are prone to lifter failure which wipes out the cams.

GMs weren't any better with failing DOD/AFM lifters although generally cams were OK if you didn't run it too long like that. Although I'm not up on issues from other brands, I think all have their strengths and weaknesses.

This has gone a bit off topic.

Reactions: northcreek

psa55

Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
I have an 09 Envoy with 150K on it and love it for many, many reasons.
Size is perfect, rear seats fold down with no hole between the front and back seats, seats are very comfortable and the headrest is a better angle than the new ones, and it is a decent 4X4. I wish I had the 5.3L in to though. I also pull a boat and want an SUV like the Envoy with a to replace it. Where is GM??? Nothing in the same category. The Yukon is too big and pricey, and the Acadia et al just don't have the trailering ratings and I don't want a truck. And yeah the new Trailblazer is just disappointing. The Traverse isn't bad but feels cheap.
Where to turn? I guess I will just maintain the Envoy until I find something I like. The Jeep or Durango would work, but, well, they're Fiats so not going there. Maybe a Ford Explorer but that isn't a true 4X4 and they have a PTU instead of a Transfer Case with no drain to change the oil. Great Move Ford! And of course no dipsticks on the new Tranny's either.

I have an 08 TB with 273K kms on it! I love it and plan to drive it for a long while yet, given the no rust with Krown applications. I struggled trying to decide what our primary family vehicle would be, as the TB aged and accrued km's.... alas I've gone to a T4R. The 4Runner has many of the same properties as my TB, a little larger body and frame, about the same interior, with all the same towing capabilities. It doesn't ride as well and is noticeably stiffer (Michelins softened that a bit). Fuel mileage is slightly better. I see it as the only comparable vehicle on the market in North America.

Although, I do wish for the days I could have my 1989 S-10 Blazer back (2 dr, 4.3, with rear tire carrier). I loved that thing!

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher