General Grabber AT2 opinions

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Looking for new A/T tyres and these rate better than the Destination A/T's for the snow that I was looking at.

Any real experiences with these? Not looking for this is better than that replies, I'm not buying TKO's.

Thanks fellas.

May 3, 2014
I just put a set of these on about 1 month ago. I've driven in rain, ice and a dusting of snow so far and they handled great. They are also a very quiet tire on the highway. I am very happy with them and the price was great.

Reactions: Matt

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I never ran them but they look like knock off Ko2s. Look at the tread pattern. I was actually very close to buying these before the Dynapros. Dynapros sucked, no grip in mud or snow. Hot the ko2s now and they are great.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
No particular experience with those model of Generals, but I've had 3 sets of Generals on vehicles over the last several years, not ONE issue or complaint.

They got traction, ride smooth, balance easy, track well, last long, and the price is good.

I'll just keep buying them.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like General but if I was grabbing some AT tires i would be looking at Cooper. I put the Cooper ATP on dad's silverado for him after the Wildpeaks wore out in 12K miles and he has had real good luck with them. Been a year or two and they have good tread left. Quiet, ride good, look good.

--Edit: that was not meant to be this is better, but just more info. I would not hesitate to bolt the AT2 on a vehicle. I think they are good solid AT tires and prolly do everything you want. Just tossing some experience in for reference.

Reactions: Matt and SnowBlazer

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
--Edit: that was not meant to be this is better, but just more info. I would not hesitate to bolt the AT2 on a vehicle. I think they are good solid AT tires and prolly do everything you want. Just tossing some experience in for reference.

No worries Kyle, I took it as you meant it.

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
I had a set of these on my bus and even with the copious amounts of hp's that bitch puts out she had no trouble in the snowy hills. They always came highly recommended by everybody I've talked to, tire pros and regular joes. The price is usually right too. I think they're even stamped as a snow tire, and they'll take studs, if one was so inclined.

Last edited:

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
I think they're even stamped as a snow tire

Only some dimensions of AT2 are stamped with the mountain flake symbol. Now the question is whether it's some kind of business tactic or whether those dimensions that don't carry the stamp really didn't pass the tests (my bet)... that would worry me, personally, and I would look at tires that have the 3PMSF symbol across the whole range.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
The price is usually right too.

Got a quote yesterday for $696 out the door. Next best was $750. I "was" looking at Destination AT's and they were around $850.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
These are on my TB Cooper Discoverer AT3.

There are on the Silverado Cooper Discoverer ATP.

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
That business about some tires carrying the snowflake and some not was the deciding factor in not buying them...for me, at least. I pressed the pros about whether the tires only passed the severe service test from Transport Canada (it used to be called that) because of the stud-ability of the tires but they couldn't give me an answer. It was the same thing with the Goodyear Duratracs.

Reactions: Matt and dkvasnicka

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
I've got them Matt, and I love them. I got them through a friend who works at Continental and was able to share their employee discount, so the price was considerably less.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Thanks Uncle J!

Reactions: Wishbone

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
IMO stay away from the Destination A/T's. they are great in snow/snow packed.
but for just wet traction they suck. when i was lifted i bought a set for winter and a set for summer. (since i switch rims per season) and still am running them. they are constantly breaking traction on just wet roads.(Chicago area) , or maybe i just have a lead foot.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
We had a set of the transforce Firestones on the Sierra and they broke free when new. Now this is with 2k over the rear axle. I have since not liked Firestone tires....

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
IMO stay away from the Destination A/T's. they are great in snow/snow packed.
but for just wet traction they suck. when i was lifted i bought a set for winter and a set for summer. (since i switch rims per season) and still am running them. they are constantly breaking traction on just wet roads.(Chicago area) , or maybe i just have a lead foot.

I had them before the LE2's and that's what I noticed about them as well. Terrible in the wet but really very good everywhere else.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
They are VERY loud. Friend has them on his Envoy and the road noise is unbearable, I'd look at Cooper or Cooper's budget brand, Mastercraft.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I haven't owner this tire but friends of mine have and they were decent tire. Similar to the BFG A/T KO but a bit cheaper. Personally I prefer the BFG AT KO2 released in the last year or two. General has been bought some time back by Continental and from what I understood is that Continental likes the brand and even this model and pumping money into General. I have continentals on my Envoy and they are great so far at 40k km.

If you do get the grabbers be aware of the recent recall in case you are looking at 18s:

NHTSA Recall ID Number :

17T002

Synopsis :

Continental Tire the Americas, LLC (Continental) is recalling certain General Tire Grabber light truck tires, size 33x12.50R18 LT 118Q, Load Range E, manufactured May 3, 2015, to May 16, 2015 (DOT week codes 1815 and 1915). These replacement tires may have a lack of adhesion within the belt package, causing tread wear, tread bulging, and possible tread separation. Tread separation may increase the risk of a crash. Continental will notify owners, and dealers will replace the affected tires, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 10, 2017. Owners may contact Continental customer service at 1-888-799-2168.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Thanks fellas, mine will be 265/65R17.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher