General, Basic and Advanced Audio Q&A

armymp90099

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I am starting this thread to help avoid a long string of threads to answer basic audio questions that people have, hopefully reducing thread clutter in the audio section. Good examples include but are not limited to:

General audio questions regarding system design and set up.
What are the speaker sizes for my car?
What radio, amp or sub is better?
What do I need for a system install?
I have an issue with "blank"...help please.
This vs That for electrical upgrades.

This will hopefully answer some basic questions and reduce thread clutter in the future. I know there are some audio and electronic gurus here so, ask away!!

TB2k4

Dec 4, 2011
you guys recommend any subs? looking to get one- just replaced all the stock speakers with alpines. what do you guys know about amplified enclosure speakers ready from the factory- work good? im trying to maintain trunk space, i gotta haul gear around all winter. and i want to keep the install simple... input appreciated.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
TB2k4, I moved your post here so that the bass track thread doesn't go off topic.:cool:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
There are alot of shallow mount options out there Alpine is a good brand but I have not used shallow mount stuff. Kicker and Alpine are what I started with, the boom for you buck brands. As far as Pre Amped sets it really all depends on how hard you want to go lol, a lot of pre amped are not the loudest set ups opposed to building your own single box and dropping a more powerful sub in there. Amps are getting smaller and can easily be mounted on the sub box to save your space. So its up to you really. But im just saying preloaded boxes usually arnt known to be big hitters. While building/buying your own box you can maximize it, to save space and still get some good bass. And your probably going to want to go with a sealed box, they are smaller and don't require an air channel. TIP search ebay for example "Kicker loaded" that will bring up some options of pre boxed subs from a localguy a couple of hours away from me. Cheap Prices! Pretty sure he has multiple brands as well.

You can always be like may the man with 82 subs powered by 23 Sundowns or whatever he has in his fancy earthquake machine. :biggrin:

armymp90099

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
It is true that there are a number of shallow mount options available and I hear the Type-R shallow mounts by alpine are great. Plus I've always favored type R's since they were my first decent system.

The option of a shallow mount sub means you can use a long shallow box to maintain most of your cargo space.

Don37725

Dec 8, 2011
Radio is stock delco in 04 Envoy SLE - amfm cd and cassette - at night the left side buttons are illuminated but right side is dark - any one know if it is easy to open up this radio and replace burned out bulbs - I know how to remove the radio just not sure if bulb replacement is possible and hopefully easy.

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
TB2k4 said:
you guys recommend any subs? looking to get one- just replaced all the stock speakers with alpines. what do you guys know about amplified enclosure speakers ready from the factory- work good? im trying to maintain trunk space, i gotta haul gear around all winter. and i want to keep the install simple... input appreciated.

if your wanting to save space then you may want to get a stealth box, that fits in between the wheel well hump and the back of the vehicle, they look stock, and sound pretty good.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Don37725 said:
Radio is stock delco in 04 Envoy SLE - amfm cd and cassette - at night the left side buttons are illuminated but right side is dark - any one know if it is easy to open up this radio and replace burned out bulbs - I know how to remove the radio just not sure if bulb replacement is possible and hopefully easy.

It is easy to crack open and get to the circuit board where the factory bulbs are soldered to.. but there inlies the problem.. you need to be handy with a solder as replacement of the bulbs requires soldering.. that's why/when most of us switch to leds at that point...

Don37725

Dec 8, 2011
Boricua SS said:
It is easy to crack open and get to the circuit board where the factory bulbs are soldered to.. but there inlies the problem.. you need to be handy with a solder as replacement of the bulbs requires soldering.. that's why/when most of us switch to leds at that point...

I solder about once every 10 years so not exactly handy with a solder iron - maybe I will just dremel some dots on the dark controls and learn braille!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Don37725 said:
I solder about once every 10 years so not exactly handy with a solder iron - maybe I will just dremel some dots on the dark controls and learn braille!

Its not as bad as you think.. a little overwhelming at first... I've never soldered before in my life, but I said "f" it, and did my whole interior led overhaul... made some mistakes, but overall it turned out ok..

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
So i was looking to redo my audio system, but im not completely sure on the whole amp situation,
i want to put in (4) Sundown sa 8 v2

here is pictures...Crazy "little" 8 - Sundown SA-8 v2 - i have one! (Pics inside) - SMD Forum

the subs run at 500rms EACH

i was just wondering if i bought one amp, that was about 1200w and wired it down to 2ohm so it would be running 2400w, would that work for 4 of these monsters

and here is also an amp im looking at.. SAX-1200D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online