gears grab then do not, help

James Calhoun

Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Windsor, pa
Looking for help to why I made it 40 miles just fine in my 2002 gmc envoy stopped for 20 minutes started back but at third stop light wouldn't go into 3rd stopped to think / check tranny fluid all good started again now won't go into 2nd after being towed home I had to reverse a bit to get where needed and reverse grabbed fine moved a few feet went to move forward 1st went out now no gears including reverse are grabbing at all just engine rev like in neutral. Hours later asked son if him and friend would push it off the grass of coarse 19 he had to try gears himself and 1st and reverse worked again at least for a moment then stopped. Where can I start looking. Do I have hope or is it sound like probable rebuild or more?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
A quick bit of research just now (here and external search via Google) suggests that it's more than likely the pump, given the symptoms. If it is - rebuild or replace - there's no recovery.

There's a way for you to check for yourself - disconnect the passenger side cooler line, get a container ready, and have someone start the truck. No / very little fluid coming out would pretty much confirm the pump

Here's a thread on this site that describes the procedure to check it (and thanks to @Mooseman for mentioning it)...
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/lost-all-gears-on-way-to-work.15452/

Which way to go (rebuild / replace / dump truck as-is) depends on your plans, and the mileage / condition of the truck.

Oh, and before I forget - welcome to the forum. Wish I had better news for you.

Reactions: Tiggerr

James Calhoun

Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Windsor, pa
A quick bit of research just now (here and external search via Google) suggests that it's more than likely the pump, given the symptoms. If it is - rebuild or replace - there's no recovery.

There's a way for you to check for yourself - disconnect the passenger side cooler line, get a container ready, and have someone start the truck. No / very little fluid coming out would pretty much confirm the pump

Here's a thread on this site that describes the procedure to check it (and thanks to @Mooseman for mentioning it)...

Which way to go (rebuild / replace / dump truck as-is) depends on your plans, and the mileage / condition of the truck.

Thanks for such quick responce that's impressive. I am no way a mechanic but that's what I thought also from thinking it's not getting fluid where it should go to squeeze the things needed, what I saw was the torque canverter I believe is where the pump is, a rebuilt one is anywhere from $140 -$250. If this is the problem can that just be replaced or would it have done more damage or maybe converter is not external and transmition must be pulled anyway? I guess I'm asking is replacing it a rarely expensive and difficult procedure and would simply replacing the torque converter possibly fix the problem. Sorry so long winded last questions say it all really. I'll try to get better at this as I go. Thanks again for replying.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Thanks for such quick responce that's impressive. I am no way a mechanic but that's what I thought also from thinking it's not getting fluid where it should go to squeeze the things needed, what I saw was the torque canverter I believe is where the pump is, a rebuilt one is anywhere from $140 -$250. If this is the problem can that just be replaced or would it have done more damage or maybe converter is not external and transmition must be pulled anyway? I guess I'm asking is replacing it a rarely expensive and difficult procedure and would simply replacing the torque converter possibly fix the problem. Sorry so long winded last questions say it all really. I'll try to get better at this as I go. Thanks again for replying.

The pump isn't in the torque converter... its behind it in the front of the transmission...
If it needs a pump it's probably toast..
That's been my experience anyway....
I'd look for a low mileage used unit or have it rebuilt with the known upgrades to fix the usual GM weak spots in the 4L60E

James Calhoun

Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Windsor, pa
The pump isn't in the torque converter... its behind it in the front of the transmission...
If it needs a pump it's probably toast..
That's been my experience anyway....
I'd look for a low mileage used unit or have it rebuilt with the known upgrades to fix the usual GM weak spots in the 4L60E
That's exactly why I came here, what I found googling I understood there were three components making up the torque converter, I'm glad this forum is here, I almost waisted a lot of money, my neighbor would have made a bundle and I would still be no further ahead. The one thing I don't understand is if it is grabbing and wanting to go wouldn't getting the fluid where it belongs correct the pressure problem making the gears stay working.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
That's exactly why I came here, what I found googling I understood there were three components making up the torque converter, I'm glad this forum is here, I almost waisted a lot of money, my neighbor would have made a bundle and I would still be no further ahead. The one thing I don't understand is if it is grabbing and wanting to go wouldn't getting the fluid where it belongs correct the pressure problem making the gears stay working.

That's why we're all here...

What does your fluid look like? Does it smell burnt?
There's a slim possibility you could have a clogged filter restricting fluid flow... you could try dropping the pan and replacing the filter and fluid...
not too expensive if it doesn't help... you won't be out much..

There are a few things in the valve body too that could cause issues... need to see if that pump is doing anything though...

As stated by @Reprise you can pop loose a trans line and see what you have for flow too...

Last edited:

James Calhoun

Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Windsor, pa
That's why we're all here... what does your fluid look like? Does it smell burnt?
There's a slim possibility you could have a clogged filter restricting fluid flow... you could try dropping the pan and replacing the filter and fluid... not too expensive if it doesn't help... you won't be out much..
Thanks that's exactly what I'll try. Thanks for everything. This is a very useful site, love it.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
You are more than welcome..
Theres a lot of good ppl on this forum. Although not as many active as there used to be...

Glad you found us.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
That's why we're all here...

What does your fluid look like? Does it smell burnt?
There's a slim possibility you could have a clogged filter restricting fluid flow... you could try dropping the pan and replacing the filter and fluid...
not too expensive if it doesn't help... you won't be out much..

+1. Try this. Actually just drop the pan and see what that filter looks like. If it doesn't look clogged, just button everything up and make your decision for rebuild / replace / sell.

Even if the problem is 'only' the pump and you 'caught it early', the trans still has to come out to replace it, so you may as well rebuild, if you're going that far.

One glimmet of hope for the filter...when the truck was shut off and your son briefly had power after restarting - that might have let whatever is clogging the filter settle. I doubt a pump would fail 'intermittently'.

James Calhoun

Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Windsor, pa
I'm back I came across a list of recalls for the 2002 envoy one being the range shift collar also there was a also some other recall issues pertaining to the transfer case and things, I was shocked to see just how many recall issues there were. If I took it to one of the authorised places that deal with these things is there a chance it could be repaired thrue this?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
When it comes to Questions about Recalls... It is probably best to get the information "Straight from the Horse's Mouth". NHTSA produces most of the investigatory data regarding Faulty Engineering that on a national scale... Kills One Hell of of Lot of People. And while your Transmission Issues do not fall into any of the most dire of circumstances... it nonetheless can be investigated in the Consumer Rights pamphlet produced by NHTSA.

This link will put you on their door step and beyond its educational value... the answers about how durable and lasting any GM Recalls should be can probably be found somewhere in the dialogue:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm

If you take a 15 Year Old SUV to a Dealership and get a Blank Stare when you ask them to repair your Transmission on a Recall Issue.... the first question you will get is, "Hello there... What took you so long?" and the second will be..."My... what a nice Envoy you have there... Would you like to trade it in ...instead?"

Last edited:

James Calhoun

Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Windsor, pa
Was just reading all I couldabout my problem I didn't even think about that. Now that I do though, that is very funny. Thanks for answering even the not so thought out questions.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online