GB for Silicone Radiator Hoses for 4.2L I6s?

Do you want silicon radiator hoses for your I6?

• YES! I want a set for my I6!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO. Not with the $$ and/or time to pursue this.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • MAYBE. Waiting to see what happens...

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

ScarabEpic22

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Alright guys/gals, I know our trucks are getting up there in age, but would enough people be interested in a a group buy for a set of high quality silicon radiator hoses? Direct replacement and would come with the proper t-bolt clamps (4) to install them. Just provide your own coolant and you're set.

A friend local to me in Seattle is now selling silicon hoses for the V8 TB/Voy/SS, C5/C6 Vettes, CTS-Vs, and is looking for more lines to carry. His site is DPHoses, DP Hoses, (if it's ok with the mods). Feel free to browse the site and see the different color options available.

I would provide my own 02 I6 as a test mule to verify correct fitment, fortunately all I6s use the same hoses regardless of year!

I spoke with my friend and he would need a minimum order of 20 hoses to consider making them for us. That is the minimum number to come close to covering the tooling costs and materials for the first set of 20 (any color). After the initial set of 20, they can be easily made to order. There is a 5-7 day delivery period for each subsequent order as the hoses are made in the U.K., sent to him in Seattle, then he packages them with the clamps/instructions and sends them to the customer(s).

Rough cost would be in the $150-175 range, I know it's steep but that's how much his other hoses cost. Actual price would be determined if there's enough interest to warrant this GB. Usually they can knock $10-15 off for the initial GB, but no guarantees.

If we can get 20 people to commit, then we can get this going.

Mods, I hope this is ok considering I dont have vendor status. Just trying to see if there's enough interest in pursuing this further or not. Feel free to PM me if need be.

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
Count me in for a set.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
We don't charge for being a vendor like that OTHER greedy joint does. And I vouch for you, for whatever that's worth. :wink: Guaranteed no problem. :thumbsup: Good luck. (I got mine from Jett.)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Apart from pretty colours, is there any advantage to using silicone hoses?

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Mooseman said:

longer lasting, from their FAQ DPHoses, DP Hoses,
Q. Why should I buy silicone hoses?
For the best looks and performance it has to be silicone. Silicone hoses operate at much higher temperatures and pressures than other rubber hoses.

but really, your hoses aren't supposed to be the weak point in your cooling system anyway. Your radiator cap will blow even before a standard hose. And you won't be increasing your engine temp (hopefully) over what a standard hose would handle. The end result is engine dress up and a hose that you probably won't have to worry about changing.

ScarabEpic22

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Mooseman said:

Pretty much what Grimor said, they last basically the life of the vehicle and they dress the engine bay up a bit.

Also, they tend to keep the heat inside a little better than the rubber hoses which can reduce underhood temps a bit. My friend Jake (co-owner of DP Hoses) used an infrared thermometer and measured his upper hose after a ~30min drive, both with the stock hose and after the silicon one. Dropped about 3-5* F with the silicon one, not a ton, but still an improvement. Considering the massive heatsoak our trucks have (V8s are even worse), it makes a difference.

Going to start a list now:

1. FlyingFischer

KaRo

Dec 4, 2011
I would be happy getting them, although I live in germany! So put me on the list.
Karsten

ScarabEpic22

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
KaRo said:
I would be happy getting them, although I live in germany! So put me on the list.
Karsten

Sure thing, shipping international might be a little more expensive but I know it can be done.

I'll keep this open and bumping it through mid-end of Sept. If we dont have 20 people by then, it's not going to happen. Not going to hassle everyone forever trying to get this done! :cool:

(Go ahead and add your name to the list moving forward everyone.)

1. FlyingFischer
2. KaRo

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online