Gauging interest: Led switchback/parking lamp conversion" kit"

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I had this idea a few days ago when thinking of a cleaner way to perform the switchback installs. What is it? A flat piece of acrylic cut to the the dimensions of the parking lamp bucket. Painted black on the back side(acrylic is clear for prototyping purposes), with the switchback mounted on the front. The leads will be prewired in a 3157 shell(not pictured) to make them plug and play. Perfect for the DIY guy that wants to upgrade these lights. I still need to tweak the design a little bit, but the overall look will not change. These will replace my current retro method, and will be priced at@ $75 either way. Thoughts?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374467230077.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374467230077.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 18
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374467253027.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374467253027.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 17

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I like the concept that you are going with.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:rotfl: If you would have posted this a month ago, I would have paid you for it already. My setup is going be very similar :thumbsup:

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
xtitan1 said:
Definitely looks cool.

Aren't the leads for a 3757 A? Sorry I'm still learning this stuff.

Same shell, pin config might be different.

Blckshdw said:
:rotfl: If you would have posted this a month ago, I would have paid you for it already. My setup is going be very similar :thumbsup:

I'm always late to the ball, but when have you not been about getting things done yourself?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
smitty5150 said:
... when have you not been about getting things done yourself?

:raspberry: When I come up with some grand and glorious scheme, and when I try to implement it, determine I grossly overestimated my skills, knowledge, Google ability, or any combination of the 3. :dunce: :banghead:

Due to my experiences with the side emitting LED strips used for my eyebrows years back, I've been gun shy about doing anything with flexible LED strips since then. I had the :lightbulb: of making my own switchbacks with RBG LEDs, and designing my own monostable circuit to control them, but the schematics I found online were all slightly different, didn't work as planned, and I got tired of adding stuff to my parts bin, that will probably never get used. :mad:

Pretty much settled on using strips, especially after seeing Jared's video :drool: And since I'll be buying acrylic for that other thing, the scrap pieces were gonna get used for the lower mounting plates like you're doing. :biggrin:

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I learned to keep it simple. I would love to go all out with these and create some grand design....custom built switchback boards, recessed mounting in the acrylic, etc. But this isn't a personal project as I no longer have a trailblazer. What I would have to charge from the business end would make them far too expensive. The strips are easy to use, easy to replace, and I think it looks a lot better than stock...or sticking the strip on the stock bucket.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I also made a pnp harness for the halos that plugs into the factory fog light socket. This particular one replaces the fog light but it can also be made to have them work together.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375047956765.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375047956765.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 7

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online