Gas tank

brettgf3

Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Took the Trailblazer to the dealer yesterday to have the fuel tank smoke tested, due to the fact I was smelling gas around the driver side rear. Dealer calls to tell me the bad news that an evaporator port on top of the tank was broken, which is part of the tank and that it had to be replaced. $1600 for a new tank installed. I'm going to try the salvage yard route, found one yesterday for $75, we will see how this is going to work out. To bad that the 2006 model wasn't in the recall for the tank.

Brett
:hissyfit:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is too bad. I had mine replaced last year on the recall. Replacing the tank is not all that difficult. It's odd that the vent fitting broke. The defect on the previous years tanks was at the fill hose inlet. Just make sure the used tank you get is from a later year not affected by the defect although all of those should be gone by now. Check the condition of the fingers on the fuel level sender as they do wear out and cause erratic readings. May be worth it to replace it as a preventive measure. RockAuto has it as a separate part.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
The voy has a plastic tank...I think part of it has a metal shield on it. Well...mine does anyways lol

brettgf3

Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I getting a tank off an 06 enovy. Thanks for the advice I will look into the sending unit as well...:smile:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Voymom said:
The voy has a plastic tank...I think part of it has a metal shield on it. Well...mine does anyways lol

That's a heat shield to keep the exhaust system from causing a very nasty problem.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just make sure it's for an EXT as I noticed that in your profile. The Voy's extended version are called XUV's I think. They are differeent.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Mooseman said:
Just make sure it's for an EXT as I noticed that in your profile. The Voy's extended version are called XUV's I think. They are differeent.

The GMT370 base is the XL, the Envoy XUV tranforms into a pickup truck. (GMT305)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online