Gas tank extraction pump recommendations?

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Can anyone recommend a pump to empty a gas tank?

My sending unit has failed, it appears to not float anymore. I replaced the stepper in the Inst Cluster but it didn't help. I get low readings even when full and it 'varies' a little but no longer accurate.

The car is 18 years old so I'll replace the whole unit and get a new pump in the deal.

The problem is emptying the tank, with the gauge not working I can't run it down for fear of getting stuck somewhere so I need to pump it out. I'm hoping I can spend $100 and get something that will make this an easy 10 minute job so it doesn't become a 'project'. The goal is to drop the tank, replace the pump/sender unit and re-install in half a day.

So... I'm looking for recommendations on an "extraction" type pump that actually works, something you've used or owned that you were happy with. Manual is OK as long as it doesn't take all day, there may be 30-40 gallons in the tank the day I do this I don't want to be on a hand pump for a half hour to get it out and another half hour to put it back later. Electric sounds like a good idea if it's fast and doesn't break the bank.

I've got accounts at Rock Auto, eBay and Amazon - please let me know what you own/use.

Thanks in Advance!!

EDIT: Anyone own a "Gas Tapper" by Flow Joe?

JayArr

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I use this... (yeah, I know HF isn't north of the 49th, but like most chinesium products, it can be found elsewhere; I think I saw something like it on Amazon.) Uses 2 (?) D-cell batts. Works well, and is cheap.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You have one built in. Just disconnect either at the fuel filter or fuel rail and run some line from there to a gas can. Jump the relay and Bob's your uncle. I use this method all the time.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You have one built in. Just disconnect either at the fuel filter or fuel rail and run some line from there to a gas can. Jump the relay and Bob's your uncle. I use this method all the time.
Of course this method assumes you have a working or semi-working fuel pump in the tank.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I have used a regular pump driven by a drill... of course, it ISN'T an electric drill but an air powered one... :smile: Works fine to get most of the gas out. Useful for when you have a fuel pump failure or in cases where there is no fuel filter to get access to (like my 2008).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So you hook it up on the fuel line? Never thought of using it that way. I guess it would pass through the pump and pressure regulator.

The caveat here, as you mentioned, is to use an AIR drill as any electrical or battery drill will induce sparks and possibly... BOOM!

• Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I just get an appropriate hose and feed it into the gas tank filler. One of the "problems" is that it pumps fast so it take very little time to fill a 5 gal can.

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
I finally got around to this on the weekend.

I bought the Gastapper kit that includes the pump and all the hoses and accessories, it was less than $100 and delivered free by Amazon.

I'll give you one good reason why I didn't just empty the tank using the internal pump - How was I going to get four - five-gallon pails of gasoline back INTO the tank when I'm done? I could try to pour it but that's sort of a scene from a Cheech and Chong movie.

With this kit I just swapped the hoses and it pumped it all back in in no time, no mess, no fuss, no spills. It plugged into the cig lighter and was easy as pie to use.

I bought only the sending unit and it just snapped into place and plugged in. It was only $60 for OEM so I didn't have to buy the whole fuel pump assembly for $$$.

Everything else went pretty smooth, none of the bolts broke and I was done in a few hours.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Please post the product you bought over in the Amazon section so if anyone else is interested, they can also get it and the site would also get a little kickback for the referral.

Gabrielou812

Sep 23, 2022
Ct
Whenever I do a fuel pump I just pull the bed off it makes it nicer to work on and it doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank six or 8 bolts unplug your tail lights lift bed off

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not that easy on an SUV though :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online