Gas station pump continually shutting off? Try blowing out your vapor canister

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'll start by saying there are members here that discounted the effectiveness of doing this, but I'm here to report that it worked for me, and it's worth a try, IMO.

Before I did this, I had to fill the tank very, very slowly. Like '30 minutes' slowly, for a 26gal tank. And backing off the nozzle from the end of the filler neck did NOT help. It was bad enough that I'd never really fill the tank, but put in $20 worth, half a tank, that sort of thing. On a long trip, this is a real killer (not to mention annoying to people waiting in line behind you to fill their own tanks.)

After searching on Google, I came across a couple of YT vids that described this as helping. So I followed the given procedure. You don't have to relieve fuel pressure, etc. - this affects only the evap system. (there is a small chance that some fuel might come out, if your canister is *really* clogged -- but it won't be pressurized -- and if this happens, your canister is hosed, due to the fuel -- so just skip to 'remove and replace'.)

First... if you have active or pending codes concerning the evap system (small / large leak, purge valve, etc.) -- take care of those first, before doing the procedures below. Mine had no codes at all, so I was losing nothing but some time by trying this.

- Remove the canister (on the GMT800s, it's just behind the fuel tank. There are three different types of connectors, one for each line (thanks, GM). Bringing a pick tool can be helpful for one of the connectors; the other two are pretty much 'squeeze / release'.
You'll likely smell fuel vapors, but no raw fuel will (should) be discharged... didn't happen with me. One 13mm bolt holds the retaining bracket in place. I removed it and lowered the canister before disconnecting the most difficult connector, but in retrospect, it would've been easier to disconnect all three *before* removing the bracket / canister.

Here's a stock image (from a YT vid); this is from a Silvy / Sierra, but I believe the canister for the 360 series is similar:
1576623078023.png

(note above, that the orifice the author is pointing to is the one you DON'T want to put air through!)

Mine had text labels molded into the plastic signifying what each was for, but I can't find a pic (or description) of those labels as I write this. It appears that the manufacturer may have stopped molding the labels onto the canister at some point. Since all three ports are different sizes, I'll guess that GM figured out that no one could possibly goof up connecting the ports and gave the OK to make unlabeled canisters at some point (especially if they could save a penny or two per unit).

(after looking on my phone, sorry... no pics. IIRC, the larger one of the two on the right is labeled 'air' or 'fresh' or 'fresh air'. That's where the compressed air goes)

- Once disconnected, shake the canister a few times. You should hear at least some of the media (activated charcoal?) rattling inside. If not... you may wind up replacing your canister sooner, rather than later. Mine was like this, and I'll probably get a new canister. But it *did* improve things (more on this below), even though I really didn't hear the media loosened up inside after I blew air through it.

- Give the opposite end of the canister (with no openings) a few raps on a solid surface. If you see dust coming out when you do this, there's a good chance you'll free up a lot of airflow. Especially if you drive on unpaved / gravel roads.

-Get some compressed air (even the cans with the triggers can work -- it's what I used, rather than turning on my compressor). Feed it through the large orifice on the right, as shown in the pic above. You're not supposed to 'backflush' it through the smaller hole (normal air flow is from larger -> smaller). Give the canister a few more raps, and repeat this a few times. You should eventually feel air coming out of the smaller hole. I didn't - at first. Mine was really clogged, and *nothing* came out of the ports at all. No dirt, no air.

In my case, I *did* reverse the air flow (putting it into the smaller orifice), and after going back and forth, I finally felt air coming out of the opposite orifice. Not an equal amount to what I put in, but at least I got some flow out of it. After a few minutes, I decided it was as good as I was going to get it and reinstalled the canister.

Fast forward a few days, and...

Today I went and got gas. Moment of truth...
To my small delight, I was able to put the pump on the 'slowest' notch and fill the tank. Well, almost. It did click off twice... but I was able to get fully 3/4 of a tank in before I had to start filling very slowly by hand again. Since I normally fill at the 'slow' notch / speed in all of my vehicles, color me happy. And, I have no codes, either after performing the procedure or filling the tank. I figure it took me 10-12min (estimated) to fill, total, and half of that was getting the last 1/4 of a tank in, as well as going inside to get a receipt, since none printed at the pump.

As I mentioned above -- I know I'll likely have to replace the canister, but at least I can put a full tank of gas in the truck now. And as I alluded to at the beginning... after having the truck for a full year, this was the first time I actually *filled* the tank. If you're having trouble filling your tank, like I was... it's definitely worth a try. Really made my day to have success with this. :woohoo:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In Parallel... and with "Water Boarding" Videos:

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
In Parallel... and with "Water Boarding" Videos:

Funny you link that, I still haven't gotten this fixed lol. I haven't felt like pulling the tank for access and she hasn't felt like dumping $100 at the canister. I'll be replacing it when I do it, don't wanna blow it out and that not fix it requiring the tank to be pulled again. Plus it's got 150k on it and has been pretty low maintenance so it won't hurt to start sliding some parts into it here and there.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
@Mounce - See my thread about replacing the rear brake line (crossover) a month or so ago. It goes over how to drop the tank just enough to access what you need to (and not disco / depressurize the fuel lines)

I easily accessed the evap purge valve at the top rear of the tank (and the vapor canister should practically be adjacent (I have the LWB with the 23gal tank, so location might differ a bit on yours)

(on edit: ) Actually, I seem to recall my canister was nearer the front of the tank, on / near the frame rail (they're shaped similarly, if not identically; I also have the V8 in both trucks)

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Mounce ...I thought the Later Model versions of the TBs & Envoys would allow access to the Charcoal Canister ...merely by lowering the Spare Tire to clear an adjacent work path... but if I not ...I can see your reasoning for trying to avoid doing "Double Duty" on this PITA Repair.

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I thought the Later Model versions of the TBs & Envoys would allow access to the Charcoal Cannister ...merely by lowering the Spare Tire to clear an adjacent work path... but if I not ...I can see your reasoning for trying to avoid doing "Double Duty" on this PITA Repair.
The lwb ext's/xl's are the only ones on top of the tank but the swb guys are above the spare from my research.

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I wonder if you had used the compressor for greater pressure and volume might have cleaned it out better. I also remember watching this video where it's cleaned out with water and it seems to work. I would have tried to dry it out more though.

Reactions: BrianF

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I wonder if you had used the compressor for greater pressure and volume might have cleaned it out better.
It's very possible; to tell the truth, I did this at night, before I was originally scheduled to leave ('will I ever?' LOL) and to be honest, I didn't want to fire the compressor up for the limited amount of use it was going to get. Plus, I had a couple of the cans sitting around for years (!) so I figured I'd put one to use and see if it was viable -- if not, I'd have the compressor as a backup.

At the mileage on the canister, I figure anything I got out of it was gravy, and if I have to when I replace it, it's a pretty easy thing to do -- no jacking required, 4 wheels down. :thumbsup:

As for the water -- I don't think I'd do that, unless I had a *lot* of time to let it dry thoroughly, before reinstalling it. I kinda cringed when I saw him feeding the inlet / outlet with water. Nothing to quantify 'why' what he did is bad... I just wasn't comfy doing it (not to mention that it would make a helluva mess, and I'd be doing it indoors).

To truly 'reactivate' / rejuvenate it requires heating to 900F, and at that temp, anything that was captured by the charcoal... is released. Including toxins, etc. As if my home oven could heat that high (and would the plastic canister melt - ?)

I wish the canisters were refillable (IIRC, once upon a time, they were - ? Maybe I'm wishing instead of remembering)
As far as I know, they're not a 'hazmat', else they'd have special disposal instructions, etc.) But you just know that TPTB consider it a worse risk to have the canister contents accessible (and releasing the contents back into the atmosphere kinda defeats the whole purpose of the system.) So into the landfill they go, I suppose. The original 'carbon sequestration'... LOL

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
As proven by the use of this Pure Carbon (Graphite) substance in the manaufacture of the V-2 German Rocket Flame Guide vanes nested with the expelled LOX/Alcohol burning Rocket Fuel... Activated Charcoal as a Pure Carbon substance can only burn at the very High Temperature of around 5,000 Degrees Fahrenheit. So as suggested by @Reprise..."roasting" and burning away any absorbed Volatile Organic Compounds inside something like Ceramic Kilns sounds like it would work very nicely. During the period when Environmentally Disastrous-Industrial Sized Oil Filled Capacitors Laced with PCBs (Poly-Chlorinated Bi-Phenols) had to be completely destroyed to eliminate these abundant Carcinogenic materials...these Very High Temp Kilns were the preferred method of PCB infected Oil Destruction.

Having looked into the Food Grade varieties of Bamboo Sourced, Activated Charcoal Products... it occurs to me that with the right sized Plastic Plugs and Gas-Proof adhesives... one could simply "Drill and Fill" Old GM GMT-360 Junk Yard Charcoal Canisters. Then, after sealing them up airtight, it would only become a matter of relying upon the reactions of the Automotive EVAP System Sensors (and any PXXXX Codes that might arise from developing problems ) to inform us as to whether enough of the Free Gasoline and Engine VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) Vapors were being absorbed and tightly held. If the entire EVAP Systems continue to function nominally; absorbing and then releasing the Gasoline Octane Fumes after immediate Engine Start Up conditions, this could validate whether or not this idea has any merit.

There are a wide variety of Activated Charcoal Products available 'on the cheap' from Amazon sources that could provide the substrate for such an experiment. The critical thing would be in finding out just what size Pellet or Grain is used by the Delphi Automotive Canisters to ensure the replacement material would not bind up and/or pack inside so tightly from vibration and gravity as to preclude an even absorption of the VOCs over time. Still, such an experiment using the High Temp JB-Weld as the Plug Sealant might be worth pursuing.

It also strikes me that an enterprising person could also construct their own entire unit made of very rugged Industrial Plastic Materials. It follows that one could simply attach the appropriate size Pipes and Fittings to the casing with Plastic Welding methods and accommodate the need for external plumbing attachments. Here are some of the Low Cost, Re-Fills of Activated Charcoal offerings available on Amazon:

ACTIVATEDCHARCOAL.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.