gas smell

gkrenzer

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Got a constant gas smell coming from under the truck. Took it to a mechanic I trust and he couldn't find anything on the lines. Only thing left to do is "drop the tank" and look for something on top. The service manual calls for 4 hours of labor ($300+) so I am gonna give it a go. I haven't done this in 10 years and that was on a dodge minivan. Any tips on what I am gonna run into, or what it might be. If there is a thread out there that might be useful could you pass it on. I especially like pictures.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IIRC, MAY03LT recently did a great video about this.

BuckeyeEvan

Apr 1, 2012
Gas smell... as in gasoline? (not to sound stupid -- here is my story)
When I was shopping for my used Envoy -- I came across one that had a natural gas smell under the hood. When I would stop at the light I could smell it... plus when I would lift the hood I could get a big whiff of it. I found odd because cars don't run on natural gas.
The stealership said they would look into it and and call me back. Well the stealsman called me back and said that was normal for that car and I should come back and buy it before someone else did. I said: I wasn't interested in that normal truck-- I'll find a non-normal one that doesn't have a natural gas smell. His comment back -- good luck, they are all like that. :no:
What an idiot or jerk... not sure what to call him. I never smelled gas from all the others.

I digressed,:lipsrsealed:
I was wondering if you had the same smell I had
or
you felt gasoline vapors where escaping from your tank/line.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Look at this letter, you may have the same issue.

ChevyPetrolTank.jpg
[/IMG]

ChevyPetrolTank2.jpg
[/IMG]

Hopefully, if it is this problem, you are under the mileage and your VIN is in the coverage range.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
your fuel filter could be leaking, I had that smell under there also and it turned out to be my fuel filter needed to be changed

BuckeyeEvan

Apr 1, 2012
Well he hasn't responded on what has transpired.... either it is still work in progress or he blew himself up looking for the leak with a cigarette lighter. I'll shut up now :lipsrsealed:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
BuckeyeEvan said:
Well he hasn't responded on what has transpired.... either it is still work in progress or he blew himself up looking for the leak with a cigarette lighter. I'll shut up now :lipsrsealed:

Hmmm, I'm interested in the outcome or this. My friend has a 2003 TB swb and we were looking for a gas leak last night, saw the filter and it seemed fine. Couldn't get near top of tank to feel it. Gas gauge is messing up a bit sometimes too. It was close to empty so we were gonna fill it up some more and see if we see the leak. The smell can be pretty strong at times. I wonder if there is a Canadian extended warranty for him as well?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check the tank near the fuel filler inlet for streaks from leaking fuel. It may be a defect covered by a special extended warranty. Here's the TSB on this. Check what is BOLD for the coverage period as your 2003 may be on the edge of getting cut off depending on when it was put into service:

Subject: 07099A -- SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - FUEL TANK INLET CHECK VALVE FRACTURE
Models: 2002-2004 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER EXT

2002-2004 GMC ENVOY XL

2004 GMC ENVOY XUV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin cotains a revised service procedure and claim information. Discard all copies of bulletin 07099, dated June 2007.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers of 2002-2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT and GMC Envoy XL, and 2004 GMC Envoy XUV vehicles may comment on an SES light illumination, which may be accompanied by a fuel odor, and/or a few drops of fuel on the ground when refueling the vehicle. This may be caused by a fracture of a weld on the fuel tank inlet check valve (ICV). The ICV is located above the full fuel level. A fracture in this area may allow fuel vapors to pass through and allow droplets of fuel to accumulate on the side of the fuel tank as it passes over the fracture during refueling.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after June 8, 2007, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to June 8, 2007, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2002-2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT and GMC Envoy XL, and 2004 GMC Envoy XUV vehicles built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Year Division Model From - Through

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT 22442652 - 22460353
26100010 - 26138714

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT 32100002 - 32229743
36100001 - 36246835

2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT 46100116 - 46119631

2002 GMC Envoy XL 22437217 - 22460354
26100018 - 26138713

2003 GMC Envoy XL 32100013 - 32191834
36100011 - 36246828

2004 GMC Envoy XL 46100127 - 46119624

2004 GMC Envoy XUV 46100001 - 46116824

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Service and Parts Operations (GMSPO).

Part Number Description Qty/ Vehicle

15229310 Tank, Fuel 1

15034832 Seal, Fuel Sdr (O Ring) 1

Customer Notification
General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Service Procedure
Inspect the fuel tank for a leak at the fuel tank inlet check valve (ICV). Refer to Fuel Tank Leak Test in the Diagnostic Information and Procedures section of SI, if required.
• If a fuel leak is present at the fuel tank ICV, replace the fuel tank. Proceed to Step 2.

• If no fuel leak is present at the fuel tank ICV, no further action is required.

Replace the fuel tank. Refer to the appropriate service procedure in SI.
Claim Information
For vehicles repaired under the terms of this special coverage, submit a claim with the information indicated below:

Repair Performed
Part Count
Part No.
Parts Allow
CC-FC
Labor Op
Labor Hours
Net Item

Inspect Fuel Tank - No ICV Fracture Found
N/A
N/A
N/A
MK-95
T5676
N/A

Inspect and Replace Fuel Tank
--
MK-95
T5663
N/A

Customer Reimbursement (Canadian & Export Deaers/US CAC)
N/A
N/A
N/A
MK-95
T5664

* The "Parts Allowance" should be the sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer net price plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost Mark-Up (for Export) for the fuel tank needed to complete the repair.

** The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the customer reimbursement amount.

Customer Reimbursement - For US
All customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs for the special coverage condition will be handled by the Customer Assistance Center, not by dealers.

A General Motors Customer Reimbursement Procedure and Claim Form is included with the customer letter.

Important: Refer to the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 6.1.12, for specific procedures regarding customer reimbursement and the form.

Customer Reimbursement - For Canada and Export
Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by June 30, 2008. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 240,000 km, whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

• Proof of ownership at time of repair.

• Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

If the work was done by someone other than a GM dealership, the amount of reimbursement will be limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM to have it completed by a GM dealership.

June 2007
Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2002, 2003, or 2004 model year Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT or GMC Envoy XL, or 2004 model year GMC Envoy XUV, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2002, 2003, and 2004 model year Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT and GMC Envoy XL, and 2004 model year GMC Envoy XUV vehicles may have a condition where the Service Engine Soon (SES) light may illuminate, which may be accompanied with a fuel odor, and/or a few drops of fuel may fall on the ground when refueling the vehicle. This may be caused by a fracture of a weld on the fuel tank inlet check valve (ICV). The fuel tank ICV is located above the full fuel level. A fracture in this area may allow fuel vapors to pass through and allow droplets of fuel to accumulate on the side of the fuel tank as it passes over the fracture during refueling.

SES light activation does not necessarily indicate a condition due to the fuel tank ICV fracture. Except when SES light activation is accompanied by the additional conditions mentioned (i.e., fuel odor and/or a few drops of fuel on the ground during refueling), please consult your Owner’s Manual.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank ICV. If this condition occurs on your 2002, 2003, or 2004 model year Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT or GMC Envoy XL, or 2004 model year GMC Envoy XUV within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge .

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center between the hours of 8:00 AM and 11:00 PM, EST, Monday through Friday. They can be reached at the number listed below.

Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)

Chevrolet
1-800-630-2438
1-800-833-2438

GMC
1-866-996-9463
1-800-462-8583

Guam
1-671-648-8650

Puerto Rico - English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Scott Lawson

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Sorry to bump an old thread, but wasn't sure how to handle it. Anyways, I don't even recall how I got to this thread but I did. I happen to notice that ours is part of this recall from what I can tell of the vin break numbers. I just am unsure how to figure out when the vehicle was placed into service. The date on the title maybe?

The only reason I ask is because there is a good chance this may be covered, and I want to take extra care to look for a gas odor. Just kinda unsure if it would be more prevalent under the hood or in the cabin?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It could smell inside the truck but prevalent outside from the back of the truck. But you would tell by fuel leaking or streaks on the tank from the inlet at the back. Yours, being a 2003, is most likely outside of that 10 year coverage unless is was sold later in 2004 as a leftover. Even if it is beyond 10 years, you should plead your case directly to GM customer service as they have been known to sometimes do out of warranty work as a goodwill gesture, especially for a safety issue such as this.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Thanks mooseman, apparently my brain was somewhere else when I was calculating dates. I will pay attention to looking for streaks and smells in the back. I can say that the cabin doesn't smell, at least not that I can tell so maybe we are one of the lucky ones.

The odd thing is we never got a notice that I know of and my wife would typically hand them off to me to deal with. Ah well.

emti309

Jan 26, 2014
I had the recall work done on my Bravada some years back and within the last few days I have developed a strong gasoline odor inside the cabin only any thoughts?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
emti309 said:
I had the recall work done on my Bravada some years back and within the last few days I have developed a strong gasoline odor inside the cabin only any thoughts?

Had this exact recall repaired on your Bravada? It shouldn't have the extended tank that was affected...

As for the smell, have you sniffed around under the hood also to check things out?

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Does this vehicle have the I-6 engine? Possible fuel pressure regulator leak.

emti309

Jan 26, 2014
Sory yes I just cameover from "other" site and didnt fill out info. 2002 Bravada with an I-6 has had the recall for the fuel pump thing done I smell no gas outside the vehicle gas smell inside vehicle has been getting stronger as the weather gets warmer here been in the low 20's now high 30's into the 40's.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Texan said:
Possible fuel pressure regulator leak.

:iagree: Almost bet my left one on it. Had the same problem, gas smell inside, nothing outside...replaced the FPR and it's all gone.

emti309

Jan 26, 2014
Actually wasn't a recall but a tpa? I was affected model underneith the years and mileage required also just checked the fpr and its dry as a bone. I had the engine on and I was under the hood no odor the gas odor seems to be strongest in the back seat area. Looking for any and all help I am disabled waiting on social security and have a very small income to work with so cant afford to go goose chasing I do have a brother in law in mechanics school but hard to find to to get him to look at anything.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
emti309 said:
Is this difficult repair and how much was the part.

Quite easy to replace, just a PITA to get at the screw heads properly. IIRC, the part was about $70 from Rock Auto.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online