Gas smell

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Might do a few of these threads as I nickel and dime my way through some overdue repairs on my TB.

I know I have an exhaust leak (the pipe flange gasket b/n the manifold pipe and cat intake pipe) which will get fixed shortly, but I also have more of a gas smell when I start my ride. It's very strong in the cabin and almost exclusively worse right at start up. We'll drive to a store and come out in 10 minutes, start up again and it's instantly worse than it was while driving. Perhaps Fuel Pressure Regulator? What else should I be checking?

This is an '03 4.2 LTZ btw.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Any check engine lights? Sounds like a evap problem, but that usually comes with the light

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
only code is for my fan clutch

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Can you tell of the smell is worse when the tank is full or empty?

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Good question. I don't think it seems to matter but I can definitely report back when the tank gets lower.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Any leakage on the ground from where you were parked? If you don't see any fuel leaking, I would agree with TollKeeper, it's probably an evap issue.

Do you have a scantool? You might have something in History that would indicate a direction to follow for the fuel smell.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... The 7-9mm Probe Cameras now available on Amazon at very reasonable prices COULD easily reach up and around the area of the nested top of the Fuel Pump. The Risk of Fire or Explosion from them while trying to understand what is happening there would be very minimal, since they are generally well sealed and Water Proof.

The cautious use of such a Camera along with having a small Fire Extinguisher right at hand could confirm or dispel whether or not the Hidden Fuel Lines and Connectors have become so Badly Rusted and Corroded enough to Leak... leaving a Fuel Wet-Soak condition concealed as the source of the Gas Smell. Such devices make investigating this problem EZR to do,without having to drop the Fuel Tank to make this confirmation.

These Tiny Probe Cameras employ Fiber Optic Lenses, so the possibility of having Live Electricity sparking from the "Business End" of this device should be very small reducing the Risk of Fire or Explosion. Besides that, the working, powered ends of these Units can be operated at their maximum length of the Probe Line, well away from their immediate exposure to any Explosive Gas Vapors:

This Amazon Top Seller goes for $36.00 and using a 2nd Gen Chip, it can capture HQ Video on a Cell Phone @ 30 FPS... eliminating ALL of the guess work about what is REALLY going on in such concealed areas:

OPTICALPROBECAM.jpg

Last edited:

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Just an update on this, we're gonna fix up the exhaust issue first (donut in the connection from the exhaust manifold to the cat pipe is blown out) before we continue the diagnose. It's on a list of a few other fixes that are urgent. I will report back here for posterity's sake whether it fixes the gas smell or not. The thought process there being it running rich especially on start up, and instead of expelling down the line it's coming into the bay where that exhaust leak is. I'm not saying this will be the fix, but it's a needed fix for obvious reasons, and I will report back.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
After it has sat for a while, you can try putting the key in and on, but not start. That will pressurize the fuel lines and you might spot or smell a leak that way.

chatham

Feb 19, 2014
i too, sometimes, have the smell of gas particularly at a fill up. no gas leaking but a strong smell both outside and inside the vehicle. not always but maybe 40% of the time. i would be interested in know what parts of the evap need to be looked at.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online