Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Still 1.799 Here in Colorado

@Sparky - Where are you?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Ignore my earlier post about the OPEC+ deal - turns out it didn't occur as scheduled (and since it was because one of them pitched a fit, expect the status quo to last a little longer.)
Drive it like you stole it... :wooot:

Stable at $1.84 - $1.94 /gal here in IL. Most expensive is $1.99.

Least expensive in the country is a small town in WI -- .99 / gal.
I'd visit, but it's almost as far north as Green Bay - I'd use more gas going to *get* the gas, than I could fit in the tank, driving there / back.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Well, oil futures are up by 5% in overnight trading; deal was reached for 9.7 million bbl / day cut by everyone in the OPEC+ cartel this weekend (Mexico was the holdout - they didn't want to cut the full 10mm bbl)

Analysts still feel the cut won't be enough to fully end the glut, due to demand collapse, but I wouldn't expect that price of 97.9 USD that @northcreek posted to stay in effect too long. The other shoe will drop when Saudi announces pricing for May delivery later this morning (4/13)

Northcreek - was that local to you in NY? Can't quite make out the plate on that Tundra (but the color rocks...lol)

As for local pricing in IL - dropped a few more cents. Most stations around here $1.7x to 1.8x / gal

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Prices are still fluctuating between 76¢ in the morning down to 70¢ in the evening. It has always done this up and down thing every day around here.

Even if they cut production, where would they put it? We're not burning it as much and it's still being pumped out of the ground. There's gotta be a limit to how much can be stored.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Northcreek - was that local to you in NY? Can't quite make out the plate on that Tundra (but the color rocks...lol)
Yes,about 15 miles from my WNY home. NY has two plate colors presently as they phase out that white and blue and go back to Taxi cab yellow and blue.Yes that Tundra's blue is nice.
If I wanted to drive to the Salamanca, NY Seneca Reservation it is even lower but, that would be about 50 miles for me .
5e8facb308407.image.jpg

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Can't say I'd blame you... I'd drive 15mi ('cos just about everything is 7-10mi away, for me...) but no way would I drive 50. You'd negate whatever 'savings' you gleaned. :Banghead:

Reactions: northcreek

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
In Cle Elum, Washington, their prices a couple of weeks ago were at $1.699 per gallon, now they are down to $1.259 per gallon.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Over here in N. IL, prices dropped about 0.20 / gal about a week ago.
1.29 / 1.65-ish / 1.84 for low / mid / max pricing.

But that's not the reason I updated this thread. Rather, I updated it because West Texas Intermediate (WTI), which is what oil futures are priced at, went from $18 and change on Friday... to...get this... -37.63 /bbl at one point today (currently about -35.xx). Meaning... sellers would technically be 'paying' buyers $37 and change to take the product off their hands. Get a barrel of oil and $37 in your hand for taking delivery of it.

That's how big the glut / oversupply has gotten / how low the demand has gotten (Covid being a substantial factor here.)

Normally, when something like this happens with a commodity, it's called 'contango'. And as you can guess, it's not too good for that commodity's outlook. This is so bad, analysts are calling it 'super contango' (before today, oil futures had never, ever gone negative).

TL; DR -- oil prices are going to be lower for a long time to come (barring something like a major war). From a larger economic perspective... Not. Good.
:worried:

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
$.88 a gallon today filled the wife's Nox and two 5 gallon jugs for under $20, feels good and scary at the same time...:quiverlips:
Side note: This is reservation gas which is tax free . Tax on gas in NY is about 50 cents per gallon and off res. stations are still getting $2.25 gal. so there seems to be a bit of gouging going on there.

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Over here in N. IL, prices dropped about 0.20 / gal about a week ago.
1.29 / 1.65-ish / 1.84 for low / mid / max pricing.

But that's not the reason I updated this thread. Rather, I updated it because West Texas Intermediate (WTI), which is what oil futures are priced at, went from $18 and change on Friday... to...get this... -37.63 /bbl at one point today (currently about -35.xx). Meaning... sellers would technically be 'paying' buyers $37 and change to take the product off their hands. Get a barrel of oil and $37 in your hand for taking delivery of it.

That's how big the glut / oversupply has gotten / how low the demand has gotten (Covid being a substantial factor here.)

Normally, when something like this happens with a commodity, it's called 'contango'. And as you can guess, it's not too good for that commodity's outlook. This is so bad, analysts are calling it 'super contango' (before today, oil futures had never, ever gone negative).

TL; DR -- oil prices are going to be lower for a long time to come (barring something like a major war). From a larger economic perspective... Not. Good.
:worried:

Came here to mention that. Heard on the news that they were having to pay refineries to take barrels of oil at this point. Wild. I knew the price drop was gonna be from lack of purchased gas but I didn't think it would go so far.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
We have been hovering around 1.03 a litre this past month. Even with oil prices dropping, we are still at that price. Surprisingly, diesel has been floating around .95 to .99 a llitre. Had worse but still being ripped off.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Filled up at 2.069 a gallon last night..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just gassed up at Costco.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200909-165228.png
    Screenshot_20200909-165228.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Holy crap! More than double since my last post. Gas is averaging $2.20/L. Diesel is around $2.30L

Reactions: northcreek

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Prices have been 'feathering down' a bit over here... was as high as $5.98/gal, recently (I guess no one wanted to cross that $6 threshold). They've since come down to roughly $5.50 or so.

Figure that Chicago proper is easily good for .50-.75 on top of that, so they've got to be above $6, on average. At least they have halfway decent bus / rail service, plenty of rideshare, etc. If I still lived there, I think I'd seriously consider going car-free, at this point.

Was able to stack about .45/gal in discounts the other day and filled up the Accord (by 'filled up', I mean it was about at 1/3 tank). As the digital 'reels' on the slot machine... er, pump... spun past $70, I suffered a mini-anxiety attack (thinking that if I'd been on 'E', I'd have passed $100 for sure). And I consistently get >26mpg with that car, even with A/C running.

For sh!ts & giggles, I've been seeing what people want for used Priuses (Priii ?) I've driven one before, so I know what to expect, both from a drivability / ergonomics perspective, as well as MPG. Looked for Chevy Volts, too. Suffice to say, I didn't 'giggle' very much.

I also found someone selling a rust-free '02 Duramax (the early LB7, with the bad injectors, etc.) I looked up what they were rated at, mpg-wise, and he confirmed that he was about 17.5 unloaded, and between 9-13 towing a 26' 5th wheel. The quick math in my head said the delta between that and my 6.0L gasser meant an ROI of roughly two lifetimes, and that's *without* any allowance for parts / maintenance on either truck. Sigh... (as if I needed another project to spend a couple of years on!)

Counting my blessings & licking my wounds... (as are we all)

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
4.79-4.99 here locally.

Filled the Envoy the other day, and has a mini stroke at $124 to fill it

• Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I went to fill up the other day, and the pump clicked off at $80. I thought about making a 2nd purchase to fill all the way up, but I was only about 3 gallons short at that point, so said screw it and went on about my day. We've been bouncing between the $4.84 and $4.89 mark for the past week or so.

20220611_103745.jpg

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Matt and northcreek

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
NWI has been bouncing around $ 5.11- 5.45 /gal last 4 weeks. Takes about $80 to fill the Envoy up from half a tank, so I've been limiting driving/going out. Miss when $40-50 basically got me close to a full tank when I run it down low enough. Gas was $ 3.24 back in Jan this year. Our governor just raised the tax on gas again after just 1 year (summer last year), so now we're beating Chicago for having the highest tax so far.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Around Montreal, gas is around CAD$2.20/L and diesel around CAD$2.30~$2.40/L. I gassed up before crossing over from Ontario where it's a little cheaper. There's an aboriginal reservation gas station on the way home and fuel there is MUCH cheaper without a lot of the taxes. If it weren't for the fact my truck is under warranty, I would run dyed diesel. Never seen or heard of getting dipped for personal vehicles.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Went to the Bucees where the gas is a few cents cheaper and did a mega fillup. Five gas cans in the back of the TB and then the TB itself. $112 :hissyfit:

Never done that before. Milk is cheaper than gas!

One observation on octane - the price of 90 octane non ethanol gas is less than mid grade 89 octane. I thought that ethanol increased the octane but it appear it doesn't.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I thought that ethanol increased the octane but it appear it doesn't.
It does. Here, most gas stations have 10% 87, 5% 89 and 0% 91. The only exception is Petro Canada that uses 10% ethanol in all their octanes including their 93. By law here, 87 must contain 10% but not sure what the rules say about higher octanes. I use non-ethanol 91 for my powersports and other equipment since they tend to sit for long periods of time and exposed to water and humidity.

How they're boosting octane is one of two ways (link)

Currently, there are two ways of increasing the octane content of gasoline: increasing the volume of gasoline aromatics or increasing the volume of ethanol.
So unless they're using ethanol to increase octane, like Petro Canada, they don't have to use it. This is especially true for marine use. The mid-grade they are likely using a mix of both.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here it's been going down steadily since July 1 when the Province dropped a tax. We're now down to an average of $1.69/L. Costco was at $1.64/L. Their 91 is $1.69, which I filled up a couple of can as we are going camping in a provincial park that has no power so using the genny.

Diesel has also dropped down to $1.99/L.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I've got a Shell station just over the border in WI that's at $4.28, before my discounts.
Unfortunately, that's 16 miles away from me, so unless I'm out that way, it doesn't make sense to drive 32 miles round-trip for gas, as I'll use at least a gallon of it to do so, even in the Accord. If I'm out that way, I do like to stop at that station, as it's always about $0.50 /gal cheaper than near me.

The cheaper stations near me that I use (Shell, Thorntons) are at about $4.68/gal now and holding steady. They've been dropping the past few weeks, little by little.

The most expensive station in my area right now... is the one closest to me (a Thorntons), at $5.69/gal. No other station is higher than $5.19. That's one wicked outlier -- a full dollar higher.

(Prices reported are via Gas Buddy app... from the comfort of my recliner) :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mooseman

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Here in northern alabama the prices have been dropping steadily the past few weeks. Most stations are at $4.09 gal. The cheapest I have seen is $3.98 in these parts. And most diesel pricing is still above the $5.09 gal.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Steadily dropping here. Most places are around $4.05 with the closet to my house at $4.01.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I had a dollar off discount that I used yesterday to fill both my Saab and GMC. 4.72 before discount..

35 (limit) gallons to fill the Saab completely, and a couple gallons short on the GMC. $130.52!

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Still dropping here in northern Alabama. Nearest my house is $3.81. For our metric friends that's close to a dollar per litre.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online